Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will be the Fighter of the Decade: 2009-2019?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who will be the Fighter of the Decade: 2009-2019?

I say Canelo over Ward, Loma, Crawford and Mayweather.

What say you?
    I
    n

t
    h
    a
    t

o
    r
    d
    e
    r
    Last edited by holmcall; 11-05-2019 at 07:58 PM.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who will b the Fighter of the Decade: 2009-2019?

test

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who will be the Fighter of the Decade: 2009-2019?

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    I say Canelo over Ward, Loma, Crawford and Mayweather.

What say you?
    I
    n

t
    h
    a
    t

o
    r
    d
    e
    r
    Be interesting to know what the basis was for your order.
    Best technical Boxer
    Best record
    Beat the better opponents
    Most dominant.
    Because i think some would contradict each other on the list.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most Orchestrated: Canelo hands down

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo has earned every drop of sweat, labor and tears. Canelo hands down, no kid gloves needed.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo has the best opponents
    Loma has the most voters that look like him
    Can’t forget Manny

Sounds crazy since he’s been gone but Floyd beat 4 sure fire HOFers in Shane Mostly, Miguel Cotto, Saul Alvarez and Manny Pacquiao and beat them all in clear, dominant fashion. That’s more than anyone else can say.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem with fighters of the decade kind of depends on their career arc. I think that Ward easily beats out Canelo for fighter of the decade other than the fact that he loses two years because of retirement .

Wards competition is at least on par with Canelo’s (with the exception of Floyd) and dominated way more. The only close fight he was in was the first Kovalev fight when Kovalev was considered by basically everybody in the top 3 p4p and potentially even #1. Then he wrecked him in their second fight.

Let’s compare:

Ward: Dominated Miranda, Kessler, Green, Bika, Abraham, Dawson, and Froch. He then had his whole promotional issue. He then beat some pretty good fighters after that (nobody great but no complete bums). Then he won a controversial decision against Kovalev then came back with vengeance and wrecked him (who again was arguably the best p4p fighter at the time if would have gotten the decision in the first fight).

Canelo: Starting from 2009, Canelo beat some decent fighters for a few years. Not awful competition but probably pretty equal to what award had after his promotional issue. He did pretty well but nothing to write home about. He was still a prospect. Then he fought a close/controversial decision against Trout, got shut out by Mayweather, beat a few other alright fighters, and won another close/controversial decision against Lara. Beat Cotto in a close decision (in a weight that Cotto did not at all belong in. Sorry, I had to say it). Beat a few other alright fighters. Got a gift draw against GGG, then won a pretty disputed decision against GGG (I won’t say robbery but most people had GGG winning or at least a draw). Beat Jacobs in a close decision. Knocked out Kovalev in a fight where most people thought he was losing.

Canelo definitely has more fights, but his wins weren’t anywhere near as dominant as Ward’s. I tried to be subjective, but other than Kovalev, there is no question who won any of Ward’s fights. You can give the excuse that he “cheats,” but we will just call it even with Canelo and his controversies.

If we are talking about the amount of fights and longevity, then Canelo wins. If we are talking about dominance over that time, Ward easily wins. Again, their resumes aren’t really much different in terms of toughness.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Canelo has the best opponents
    Loma has the most voters that look like him
    Can’t forget Manny

Sounds crazy since he’s been gone but Floyd beat 4 sure fire HOFers in Shane Mostly, Miguel Cotto, Saul Alvarez and Manny Pacquiao and beat them all in clear, dominant fashion. That’s more than anyone else can say.
    That’s why it’s hard to say fighter of a decade. Floyd has some great wins, but it wasn’t really a floyd decade.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tbe chayaphon moonsri 54-0
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Since we're going forward lets just knock Mayweather and Ward right off that list . Loma and Crawford are the now and truth is both have missed massive 'great' matches in Spence or Mikey etc. Honestly if Ward announces his comeback tomorrow who doesn't still roll over for that extra hour of sleep with meh, ok g'night.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacquiao with the rest nowhere.

Not only did he cement himself among the pantheon of boxing gods - 2009 to 2011 with the destruction of Hatton, Cotto, Margarito, Mosley and beat Marquez, he then came back from his two defeats to Marquez and Floyd (two first ballot HOFers) with wins over Bradley x 2, Broner, Matthysse and pulled the upset over Thurman. His "filler" fights had a combined record of 94-2 and were all "world" champions.

Honorable mentions - Canelo, Chocolatito, Floyd, Ward, Golovkin
    Last edited by Fenster; 11-06-2019 at 08:07 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Pacquiao with the rest nowhere.

Not only did he cement himself among the pantheon of boxing gods - 2009 to 2011 with the destruction of Hatton, Cotto, Margarito, Mosley and beat Marquez, he then came back from his two defeats to Marquez and Floyd (two first ballot HOFers) with wins over Bradley x 2, Broner, Matthysse and pulled the upset over Thurman. His "filler" fights had a combined record of 94-2 and were all "world" champions.

Honorable mentions - Canelo, Chocolatito, Floyd, Ward, Golovkin
    Looking at his record for the decade, he actually may edge it out. He beat some really good fighters. I will even things out by saying that he beat Bradley three times (because we all know he beat Bradley in their first fight), and lost to JMM twice (JMM clearly beat him in their third fight). His only knock is that he lost to his two best opponents legitimately. With that said, who else really beat fighters as good as Floyd and JMM?

I would say on quality of opponents and dominance over their opponents, it would have to be either Pacquiao, Floyd, or Ward hands down. Nobody else over that time span has been able to consistently dominate good/great fighters.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacquiao would be my choice also. Lots of greats on his resume... no periods of prolonged inactivity (which sours me a little on Ward)... no infatuation with the precious "0".... yeah... Pacquiao is the choice for me. Ward fought the real Kovalev, so he gets major votes for that. Floyd would even be a good choice. Exposed more than one wannabe p4p pretender... so he gets points from me on that alone. Beyond those three, I can think of plenty of deserving careers that would get my vote ahead of Canelo.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say Pac.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    The problem with fighters of the decade kind of depends on their career arc. I think that Ward easily beats out Canelo for fighter of the decade other than the fact that he loses two years because of retirement .

Wards competition is at least on par with Canelo’s (with the exception of Floyd) and dominated way more. The only close fight he was in was the first Kovalev fight when Kovalev was considered by basically everybody in the top 3 p4p and potentially even #1. Then he wrecked him in their second fight.

Let’s compare:

Ward: Dominated Miranda, Kessler, Green, Bika, Abraham, Dawson, and Froch. He then had his whole promotional issue. He then beat some pretty good fighters after that (nobody great but no complete bums). Then he won a controversial decision against Kovalev then came back with vengeance and wrecked him (who again was arguably the best p4p fighter at the time if would have gotten the decision in the first fight).

Canelo: Starting from 2009, Canelo beat some decent fighters for a few years. Not awful competition but probably pretty equal to what award had after his promotional issue. He did pretty well but nothing to write home about. He was still a prospect. Then he fought a close/controversial decision against Trout, got shut out by Mayweather, beat a few other alright fighters, and won another close/controversial decision against Lara. Beat Cotto in a close decision (in a weight that Cotto did not at all belong in. Sorry, I had to say it). Beat a few other alright fighters. Got a gift draw against GGG, then won a pretty disputed decision against GGG (I won’t say robbery but most people had GGG winning or at least a draw). Beat Jacobs in a close decision. Knocked out Kovalev in a fight where most people thought he was losing.

Canelo definitely has more fights, but his wins weren’t anywhere near as dominant as Ward’s. I tried to be subjective, but other than Kovalev, there is no question who won any of Ward’s fights. You can give the excuse that he “cheats,” but we will just call it even with Canelo and his controversies.

If we are talking about the amount of fights and longevity, then Canelo wins. If we are talking about dominance over that time, Ward easily wins. Again, their resumes aren’t really much different in terms of toughness.
    You convinced me. Outstanding stuff

Thread Information