Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Floyd or Pacquiao, who ranks higher?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd or Pacquiao, who ranks higher?

Not sure what rankings we speak about, historical rankings or the current p4p ...

I'l take Floyd over Pac for the p4p current rankings only if come out of retirement and go at light heavyweight to beat the shit out of Canelo again, how I would love that !
    We can not historical compare them yet because Pac is still active, who knows he can go up to cruiserweight and give Usyk the worst ever beating (anyone misses Xaduboxer ?)
    So we can compare them only in a hypothetical situation in which Pac retire tomorrow and achieve nothing more. In this case it's a very difficult task, they are both in the same league, the league of the ATG , Pac accomplished a bit more but Floyd beat Pac in the direct confrontation ...
    My answer :

I rank Duran higher than Hearns.
    Last edited by iwng100; 11-15-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by iwng100 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I personally rank Pac higher based on actually taking on a lot more difficult fights and though losing some, winning most. I respect that more than cherry picking which Floyd did for a good decade. Plus we shouldn't kid ourselves that Floyd didn't arguably lose fights too. He was very lucky to get away with a few decisions.

Both excellent fighterss, but I prefer the man that fights anyone and I don't really consider their face off all that meaningful. I think Pac was genuinely injured and clearly not quite what he was 5 years previously. Sure Floyd is older, but Manny has a style that ages and to be fair he has lasted a long time with it by boxing more and fighting in spurts.
    Rubbish.

The man that fights anyone.?!

So pretty boy never existed?

How can you judge which fighter in history fought anyone..this is business..manny had to fight Marquez 3 times (or was it 4?!) and we all know how that ended.

Floyd fighting Marquez was one of his easiest fights..Floyd has the ability to adjust and make his opponent quit mentally and survive for the payday..imagine being caught with a pull counter everytime..makes you reluctant..very reluctant to make that mistake again.

Is Porter a better fighter than Spence because Porter isn’t afraid to fight everyone?!

Please.
    Why you're still giving credit to Floyd for beating a much smaller 37 years old, past his best Marquez ?
    I remember we had an argument on this subject a few years ago, the time this fight happened Marquez was a proven lightweight ( he fought two times at lightweight after that), he was dragged 4 division north of his best weight by one of the most skillful fighter ever, he never had a chance.
    I,m not saying he would have beat Floyd (possible though) if they were the same size but I'm pretty sure it would have been much closer.
    I'm also not blaming either of them for taken this fight, Juan Manuel got his biggest payday, Floyd was coming out from the retirement ("The Punisher" was more preferred) but we shouldn't consider it a fair fight.
    The weight situation was definitely unfair, but JMM was definitely still at the top of his game at that point. He clear #2 p4p. He would have been #1 had he gotten the decision against pacquiao in their second fight (which I had him winning by a point).

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I personally rank Pac higher based on actually taking on a lot more difficult fights and though losing some, winning most. I respect that more than cherry picking which Floyd did for a good decade. Plus we shouldn't kid ourselves that Floyd didn't arguably lose fights too. He was very lucky to get away with a few decisions.

Both excellent fighterss, but I prefer the man that fights anyone and I don't really consider their face off all that meaningful. I think Pac was genuinely injured and clearly not quite what he was 5 years previously. Sure Floyd is older, but Manny has a style that ages and to be fair he has lasted a long time with it by boxing more and fighting in spurts.
    Rubbish.

How can you judge which fighter in history fought anyone..this is business..manny had to fight Marquez 3 times (or was it 4?!) and we all know how that ended.

Floyd fighting Marquez was one of his easiest fights..Floyd has the ability to adjust and make his opponent quit mentally and survive for the payday..imagine being caught with a pull counter everytime..makes you reluctant..very reluctant to make that mistake again.

Is Porter a better fighter than Spence because Porter isn’t afraid to fight everyone?!

Please.
    Why you're still giving credit to Floyd for beating a much smaller 37 years old, past his best Marquez ?
    I remember we had an argument on this subject a few years ago, the time this fight happened Marquez was a proven lightweight ( he fought two times at lightweight after that), he was dragged 4 division north of his best weight by one of the most skillful fighter ever, he never had a chance.
    I,m not saying he would have beat Floyd (possible though) if they were the same size but I'm pretty sure it would have been much closer.
    I'm also not blaming either of them for taken this fight, Juan Manuel got his biggest payday, Floyd was coming out from the retirement ("The Punisher" was more preferred) but we shouldn't consider it a fair fight.
    The weight situation was definitely unfair, but JMM was definitely still at the top of his game at that point. He clear #2 p4p. He would have been #1 had he gotten the decision against pacquiao in their second fight (which I had him winning by a point).
    Floyd never even bothered to make the weight either.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubbish.

Please.
    Fair enough, I might have exaggerated but I still think he was a few years and a couple of divisions far from his peak, remember his fight against Joel Casamayor (just before Floyd Fight), a very good boxer but definitely past his best, a very even fight until Joel run out of gas in the tenth round.
    Anyway my point was the fight was unfair and I give Floyd the same credit I give to Loma for beating Rigo, next to nothing. Great fighters like them never lose to much smaller guys no matter how good are they.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubbish.

Please.
    This is getting silly.

Every mutual opponent Pac and Floyd faced..Floyd won..when they faced each other..Floyd won.

No one is saying Pac isn’t great or is not a HOF..he is a special fighter but unfortunately he came up short against Floyd...and Marquez, Bradley, Horn, and the others.

Would you choose Duran as the best out of the x3 Hall of famers in Leonard, Hagler and Hearns?!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Rubbish.

Please.
    Floyd never even bothered to make the weight either.
    Weight wasn’t a problem when Pac schooled Margacheata and all the other fighters he was smaller than..do we want to talk about the PED allegations as well?

Floyd was the smaller B side man against a bigger A side Oscar..Floyd is much smarter than Pac in the ring and has the ability to adjust..Just respect both fighters and leave the fantasy match ups out of history.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Impy is very aggressive when it comes to his hero Floyd. Quite sweet really.

Floyd did not make weight against JMM, even when he was the bigger man. Weak move.

Did I mention IV allegations against him which he got away with in Vegas. No wonder he never fought anywhere else where they would not allow him those injections in his hands.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubbish.

Please.
    This is getting silly.

Every mutual opponent Pac and Floyd faced..Floyd won..when they faced each other..Floyd won.

No one is saying Pac isn’t great or is not a HOF..he is a special fighter but unfortunately he came up short against Floyd...and Marquez, Bradley, Horn, and the others.

Would you choose Duran as the best out of the x3 Hall of famers in Leonard, Hagler and Hearns?!
    I quoted you only regarding the fight between Marquez end Floyd, that's why I put in bold that sentence in your post. It had nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubbish.

Please.
    This is getting silly.

In the other post, which was on topic this time, I said I rank Duran higher than Hearns despite the fact Hearns beat Duran, I never mentioned SRL or Hagler.
    So my point was that the winner of a fight is not always greater than the loser. I don't think anyone here dispute the fact that Floyd is better than Pac , which means is more skillful, but some of us thinks Pac achieved more, therefore is greater than Floyd.
    Please don't be mad we have a different opinion, we I don't even pretend I'm right, it's just my opinion.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubbish.

Please.
    I said both excellent fighters, but you whine 'rubbish'. That is the sign of a fanboy and when you bring in 'Pretty Boy' you add a curious homo eroticism. It is cute.

The Marquez comparison is lame. Marquez was flabby and cheated on at the scales. I cannot even believe you argue that as a meaningful comparison. And styles make fights anyway. It is why Pac destroyed prime Cotto, but Floyd struggled at times

Pac might have lost fights, but he did not avoid fights and I respect that more. It is as simple as that for me. I don't care about protecting an 0 in the pursuit of money.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure what rankings we speak about, historical rankings or the current p4p ...

I'l take Floyd over Pac for the p4p current rankings only if come out of retirement and go at light heavyweight to beat the shit out of Canelo again, how I would love that !
    We can not historical compare them yet because Pac is still active, who knows he can go up to cruiserweight and give Usyk the worst ever beating (anyone misses Xaduboxer ?)
    So we can compare them only in a hypothetical situation in which Pac retire tomorrow and achieve nothing more. In this case it's a very difficult task, they are both in the same league, the league of the ATG , Pac accomplished a bit more but Floyd beat Pac in the direct confrontation ...
    My answer :

I rank Duran higher than Hearns.

I like this post. Puts things in perspective. Yes... Floyd won the head-to-head. Yes... Pac has arguably accomplished more (over his career) than Floyd. I give a lot of consideration to the many weight divisions Pac jumped and the people he beat at those divisions. It's almost unprecedented and utterly amazing. It's tough to play the A beat B, who beat C, who beat A game, because all that does is further muddle up the picture. No hate for Floyd here, though. He THOROUGHLY schooled some great fighters, including some with bogus claims of p4p. Floyd seemed to be a bit more selective, and definitely protected that "0" a bit much. As time goes by I tend to care less and less about the "0" in someone's record. Sometimes it just means they've avoided the harshest tests.

As someone else said, it depends on what you mean by "rank higher." I think that prime vs prime, Floyd still probably beats Pac. Matter of styles and Floyd was a nightmare for anybody.
    In terms of career achievements, I have to give the edge to Manny.

Oh, and BTW..... I rank Duran over Hearns also.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Master,

You’re confusing aggression with passion..no one is upset here.

Floyd is a retired fighter..I’m more interested in BJS career or the heavyweights.

I just can’t see how anyone can put Pac above Floyd..it’s not possible.

That’s the real issue here..people can’t give Floyd his props without resorting to calling Floyd a chicken or he wouldn’t fight anyone?!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I rank Leonard over Duran.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubbish.

Please.
    I said both excellent fighters, but you whine 'rubbish'. That is the sign of a fanboy and when you bring in 'Pretty Boy' you add a curious homo eroticism. It is cute.

The Marquez comparison is lame. Marquez was flabby and cheated on at the scales. I cannot even believe you argue that as a meaningful comparison. And styles make fights anyway. It is why Pac destroyed prime Cotto, but Floyd struggled at times

Pac might have lost fights, but he did not avoid fights and I respect that more. It is as simple as that for me. I don't care about protecting an 0 in the pursuit of money.
    Rewind.

Pac destroyed a prime Cotto?

So we aren’t going to talk about the weight clause with Cotto but we can with Marquez?!

Every fighter protects their record..why would you want to loose?

Is Calzaghe on this list of fighters wanting to protect their 0 or do the rules not apply to him?..did he fight everyone??

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubbish.

Please.

Rewind.

Pac destroyed a prime Cotto?

So we aren’t going to talk about the weight clause with Cotto but we can with Marquez?!

Every fighter protects their record..why would you want to loose?

Is Calzaghe on this list of fighters wanting to protect their 0 or do the rules not apply to him?..did he fight everyone??
    This is about Pac and Floyd and you are being passionate about someone who has said they are both excellent fighters. I just happen to favor one based on resume. Floyd didn't take the risks Pac was willing to take. More cunning like a sly fox and that was his freedom.

Thread Information