Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd or Pacquiao, who ranks higher?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd or Pacquiao, who ranks higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Floyd is the best boxer of his generation. You SAW skills. You saw how he adjusted and what that means. Floyd was better, skillwise, than Roy Jones. Just that Roy was a better athlete with superior hand speed and quickness.
    Floyd hands down (I say grudgingly), as Pac was ~sparked out~ like a log, stone cold by Marquez. Floyd never even more than wobbled by a Sugar Shane Shot, and once again by Zab.
    DeMarcus Corley as well.

El Kabong Guest

There are fights I give Floyd a bunch of credit for: Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo, Jesus Chavez, and Canelo.

People get hung up on my wondering about Sergio Martinez and GGG but both of those guys were willing to fight at 154 and Floyd fought at 154...I guess they just "weren't big enough" and so Floyd had to fight Maidana twice , Roberto Guerrero, Andre Berto, and Victor Ortiz....you know, the fights ALL the boxing fans were clamoring for

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    There are fights I give Floyd a bunch of credit for: Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo, Jesus Chavez, and Canelo.

People get hung up on my wondering about Sergio Martinez and GGG but both of those guys were willing to fight at 154 and Floyd fought at 154...I guess they just "weren't big enough" and so Floyd had to fight Maidana twice , Roberto Guerrero, Andre Berto, and Victor Ortiz....you know, the fights ALL the boxing fans were clamoring for
    Floyd was on that fat contract where he did not have to take too many chances and stretch himself so he didn't.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Before we continue this thread ask yourself a few questions..

1. Would floyd have lost to the fighters that Pac lost too?

2. If the Floyd/Pac fight was too late..why would we believe that if it happened 5 years earlier Floyd wouldn’t have been any better?..Floyd is older than Pac..are we to believe that if it was 5 years earlier only Pac skills would be improved and Floyd stays the same age and prime?!

3. Styles make fight and Floyds style could never loose to Pac..it was obvious to everyone from the first round when Floyd laid that first right hand what was going to happen..looked close but after watching it again you’re looking at 9-3 or 8-4 Floyd..there is no fake Rocky movie and no blood or tears..it’s just pure clinical, sharp boxing and a clean record with millions in the bank..just accept it and find another 2nd placed hero to worship..

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wasn’t going to rise to the bait, but hey , why not.no disrespect to the OP,but either the most ridiculous thread ever, or the biggest example of hating ever.
    We have a large proportion of intelligent knowledgeable people on this forum, How can anyone even consider ranking Pacquiao higher than Floyd?
    Some serious Floyd haters out here.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I wasn’t going to rise to the bait, but hey , why not.no disrespect to the OP,but either the most ridiculous thread ever, or the biggest example of hating ever.
    We have a large proportion of intelligent knowledgeable people on this forum, How can anyone even consider ranking Pacquiao higher than Floyd?
    Some serious Floyd haters out here.
    Is it REALLY hating to lay out a logical explanation for how you would rank someone higher than Floyd- or would it be hating to say that it shouldn’t even be discussed and your point of view/perspective is the only valid one? Not saying Floyd isn’t an ATG (everyone on this forum agrees), but to say that there is zero room for debate regarding historical ranking and feats, I think is a little biased and unrealistic.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's put it this way. Who do I have more respect and appreciation for. Who has stacked divisions and trinkets like he was decorating a Christmas tree. Who would I make it a point to tune in for and who just beat, convincingly, the man who was berated for the longest as a clear ducker of "The Man" at 147? Who's next fight will arguably be another huge fight for trinket(s) and who is still making front page news? Some tease comebacks and ring relevance with some traveling circus against kickboxers and some actually fight on v top pros. Now in all fairness....Mayweather is the better more polished top skill fighter/athlete over all. But let's be honest can you name the first couple of guys Manny lost to. And the fact he took early ko's and became legend to eclipse those nights. And does anyone still believe he lost to Horn and Bradley. Now to turn that I don't think he beat Marquez in #2 either. But we can do that with any fighters record with the depth and quality of these two. Just to be clear I've nothing but respect for Floyds natural talent and business mind and being a brilliant ring master but having a glossy -0- doesn't immediately translate to a cemented one way ticket to GOAT. Greats take losses too, and they right them. Manny will forever be Mayweather's last super fight. Mayweather ranks higher overall because ultimately he beat the brakes off Manny.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I personally rank Pac higher based on actually taking on a lot more difficult fights and though losing some, winning most. I respect that more than cherry picking which Floyd did for a good decade. Plus we shouldn't kid ourselves that Floyd didn't arguably lose fights too. He was very lucky to get away with a few decisions.

Both excellent fighterss, but I prefer the man that fights anyone and I don't really consider their face off all that meaningful. I think Pac was genuinely injured and clearly not quite what he was 5 years previously. Sure Floyd is older, but Manny has a style that ages and to be fair he has lasted a long time with it by boxing more and fighting in spurts.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I personally rank Pac higher based on actually taking on a lot more difficult fights and though losing some, winning most. I respect that more than cherry picking which Floyd did for a good decade. Plus we shouldn't kid ourselves that Floyd didn't arguably lose fights too. He was very lucky to get away with a few decisions.

Both excellent fighterss, but I prefer the man that fights anyone and I don't really consider their face off all that meaningful. I think Pac was genuinely injured and clearly not quite what he was 5 years previously. Sure Floyd is older, but Manny has a style that ages and to be fair he has lasted a long time with it by boxing more and fighting in spurts.
    Rubbish.

The man that fights anyone.?!

So pretty boy never existed?

How can you judge which fighter in history fought anyone..this is business..manny had to fight Marquez 3 times (or was it 4?!) and we all know how that ended.

Floyd fighting Marquez was one of his easiest fights..Floyd has the ability to adjust and make his opponent quit mentally and survive for the payday..imagine being caught with a pull counter everytime..makes you reluctant..very reluctant to make that mistake again.

Is Porter a better fighter than Spence because Porter isn’t afraid to fight everyone?!

Please.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd was on that fat contract where he did not have to take too many chances and stretch himself so he didn't.
    Why should he at that stage?!

Boxers would love to finish their career like Floyd..no matter who he fought last “those” would never be satisfied..and to finish it all he beat the best in the UFC as an up yours to Boxing and all those who think they know best for his legacy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Problem with the majority is this fascination with Rocky movies and what you’re supposed to look like winning a fight..bloody and gassed..some win with ease and don’t get hit..that’s the true art of boxing.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

Boxers would love to finish their career like Floyd..no matter who he fought last “those” would never be satisfied..and to finish it all he beat the best in the UFC as an up yours to Boxing and all those who think they know best for his legacy.
    What utter nonsense you write. You recognise he was not the fighter he once was at that stage and could have fought better opposition. The reason he fought the UTC fighter was money not some romantic notion.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What utter nonsense you write. You recognise he was not the fighter he once was at that stage and could have fought better opposition. The reason he fought the UTC fighter was money not some romantic notion.
    You’ve always hated on Floyd and it’s embarrassing..just accept that Pac is number 2 in this situation..I want to hear you say it.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You’ve always hated on Floyd and it’s embarrassing..just accept that Pac is number 2 in this situation..I want to hear you say it.
    No. 2009/10 Manny Pac kicks Floyd's ass.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

Rubbish.

The man that fights anyone.?!

So pretty boy never existed?

How can you judge which fighter in history fought anyone..this is business..manny had to fight Marquez 3 times (or was it 4?!) and we all know how that ended.

Floyd fighting Marquez was one of his easiest fights..Floyd has the ability to adjust and make his opponent quit mentally and survive for the payday..imagine being caught with a pull counter everytime..makes you reluctant..very reluctant to make that mistake again.

Is Porter a better fighter than Spence because Porter isn’t afraid to fight everyone?!

Please.
    Why you're still giving credit to Floyd for beating a much smaller 37 years old, past his best Marquez ?
    I remember we had an argument on this subject a few years ago, the time this fight happened Marquez was a proven lightweight ( he fought two times at lightweight after that), he was dragged 4 division north of his best weight by one of the most skillful fighter ever, he never had a chance.
    I,m not saying he would have beat Floyd (possible though) if they were the same size but I'm pretty sure it would have been much closer.
    I'm also not blaming either of them for taken this fight, Juan Manuel got his biggest payday, Floyd was coming out from the retirement ("The Punisher" was more preferred) but we shouldn't consider it a fair fight.

Thread Information