Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Floyd or Pacquiao, who ranks higher?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd or Pacquiao, who ranks higher?

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I personally rank Pac higher based on actually taking on a lot more difficult fights and though losing some, winning most. I respect that more than cherry picking which Floyd did for a good decade. Plus we shouldn't kid ourselves that Floyd didn't arguably lose fights too. He was very lucky to get away with a few decisions.

Both excellent fighterss, but I prefer the man that fights anyone and I don't really consider their face off all that meaningful. I think Pac was genuinely injured and clearly not quite what he was 5 years previously. Sure Floyd is older, but Manny has a style that ages and to be fair he has lasted a long time with it by boxing more and fighting in spurts.
    Rubbish.

The man that fights anyone.?!

So pretty boy never existed?

How can you judge which fighter in history fought anyone..this is business..manny had to fight Marquez 3 times (or was it 4?!) and we all know how that ended.

Floyd fighting Marquez was one of his easiest fights..Floyd has the ability to adjust and make his opponent quit mentally and survive for the payday..imagine being caught with a pull counter everytime..makes you reluctant..very reluctant to make that mistake again.

Is Porter a better fighter than Spence because Porter isn’t afraid to fight everyone?!

Please.
    I said both excellent fighters, but you whine 'rubbish'. That is the sign of a fanboy and when you bring in 'Pretty Boy' you add a curious homo eroticism. It is cute.

The Marquez comparison is lame. Marquez was flabby and cheated on at the scales. I cannot even believe you argue that as a meaningful comparison. And styles make fights anyway. It is why Pac destroyed prime Cotto, but Floyd struggled at times

Pac might have lost fights, but he did not avoid fights and I respect that more. It is as simple as that for me. I don't care about protecting an 0 in the pursuit of money.
    Rewind.

Pac destroyed a prime Cotto?

So we aren’t going to talk about the weight clause with Cotto but we can with Marquez?!

Every fighter protects their record..why would you want to loose?

Is Calzaghe on this list of fighters wanting to protect their 0 or do the rules not apply to him?..did he fight everyone??
    Nobody wants to lose, but there is less respect and dignity by cherry picking. People respect a loss or two if it was a genuine fight with best against best. Guerrero, Berto, Ortiz, some MMA bloke etc. Not the best fighting the best at all.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac-Cotto vs Floyd-Cotto

Forget weights and over-the-hill claims.

The real difference was in the trainers. For Pac, Cotto had unbelievably gone with Joe "WTF" Santiago. Ever heard of him? Nope... me neither. Guy had no idea how to prepare Cotto for a fight. Zilch.

Cotto went into the Pac fight ill-prepared and a lousy game plan.

For Floyd, Cotto had upgraded to Pedro Diaz, the Cuban trainer who did a pretty decent job of preparing Cotto for Floyd. Cotto performed quite well versus Floyd.

Cotto eventually ended his career with Freddie Roach.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Pac-Cotto vs Floyd-Cotto

Forget weights and over-the-hill claims.

The real difference was in the trainers. For Pac, Cotto had unbelievably gone with Joe "WTF" Santiago. Ever heard of him? Nope... me neither. Guy had no idea how to prepare Cotto for a fight. Zilch.

Cotto went into the Pac fight ill-prepared and a lousy game plan.

For Floyd, Cotto had upgraded to Pedro Diaz, the Cuban trainer who did a pretty decent job of preparing Cotto for Floyd. Cotto performed quite well versus Floyd.

Cotto eventually ended his career with Freddie Roach.
    A fair argument, but I think it also takes away some of the agency of the fighter. I think Cotto was fighting fine for a round and a bit against Manny with a sensible jab and box approach, but once buzz sawed just didn't seem to know what to do and was confused. A bit like Barrera in the first Pac fight. Against Floyd on the other hand there was never any risk of a full on assault so he was the one that could be the pursuer and have his excellent moments. Cotto had no way of getting a Pac of that period on the retreat for any significant period.

I think if you put a 36 year old Manny against that same Cotto you would have had a better Cotto fight as Manny could not have sustained it like he could, Cotto would have had his moments as Manny rested and he wouldn't have been so disorientated. That is where Floyd was clever, to really let it wait years, as he inevitably did not face the Pac that everyone else faced.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am just re-watching the early rounds now and Cotto starts strong, but Manny just seems to be feeling him out and then in round 2 the speed of Manny starts to show. Cotto throws hard and lands too, but Manny just has more of it and it accumulates. The jab does vanish at times and a good corner man would have given advice, but it's tough, isn't it? I notice in other rounds he is still trying to get that jab working, but once that buzz saw assault unleashes, what do you do? I think also at the time everyone thought Cotto was the bigger stronger man and maybe Cotto thought he could land something to hurt Manny. Manny was just so overwhelming and fast then, especially against the men in the higher weights. Marquez had obviously dealt with speedier fighters a lot and was fundamentally good, but even in fight 4 Manny was finally starting to just bust him up before getting careless. Marquez was not built for JWW and beyond.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Styles make fights so it’s hard to compare exactly who did better against who. JMM is a natural counter puncher which is a nightmare for Pacquiao but falls right into Floyds hands. Cotto gets on the inside and tries to rip to the body and head. Floyd had trouble with that style (Castillo and Maidana) while Pacquiao did well against that style.

I always say that certain people forgot about the early part of Floyds career. They look at the end of it and make an opinion and argument about his greatness. People forget that he was avoided earlier in his career because he wasn’t the money maker. He was a top p4p guy but didn’t get much respect.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd not even close.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I personally rank Pac higher based on actually taking on a lot more difficult fights and though losing some, winning most. I respect that more than cherry picking which Floyd did for a good decade. Plus we shouldn't kid ourselves that Floyd didn't arguably lose fights too. He was very lucky to get away with a few decisions.

Both excellent fighterss, but I prefer the man that fights anyone and I don't really consider their face off all that meaningful. I think Pac was genuinely injured and clearly not quite what he was 5 years previously. Sure Floyd is older, but Manny has a style that ages and to be fair he has lasted a long time with it by boxing more and fighting in spurts.
    Rubbish.

The man that fights anyone.?!

So pretty boy never existed?

How can you judge which fighter in history fought anyone..this is business..manny had to fight Marquez 3 times (or was it 4?!) and we all know how that ended.

Floyd fighting Marquez was one of his easiest fights..Floyd has the ability to adjust and make his opponent quit mentally and survive for the payday..imagine being caught with a pull counter everytime..makes you reluctant..very reluctant to make that mistake again.

Is Porter a better fighter than Spence because Porter isn’t afraid to fight everyone?!

Please.
    I said both excellent fighters, but you whine 'rubbish'. That is the sign of a fanboy and when you bring in 'Pretty Boy' you add a curious homo eroticism. It is cute.

The Marquez comparison is lame. Marquez was flabby and cheated on at the scales. I cannot even believe you argue that as a meaningful comparison. And styles make fights anyway. It is why Pac destroyed prime Cotto, but Floyd struggled at times

Pac might have lost fights, but he did not avoid fights and I respect that more. It is as simple as that for me. I don't care about protecting an 0 in the pursuit of money.
    Rewind.

Pac destroyed a prime Cotto?

So we aren’t going to talk about the weight clause with Cotto but we can with Marquez?!

Every fighter protects their record..why would you want to loose?

Is Calzaghe on this list of fighters wanting to protect their 0 or do the rules not apply to him?..did he fight everyone??
    This is about Pac and Floyd and you are being passionate about someone who has said they are both excellent fighters. I just happen to favor one based on resume. Floyd didn't take the risks Pac was willing to take. More cunning like a sly fox and that was his freedom.
    Fine.

You favor Pac resume and I favor Floyd.

Just to be clear..every fighter is taking the risk of their lives stepping in that ring..perhaps a fighter “looks” as though he is taking more risks because he can’t make it look as easy another fighter who hardly ever has to step out of 1st gear..

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am just re-watching the early rounds now and Cotto starts strong, but Manny just seems to be feeling him out and then in round 2 the speed of Manny starts to show. Cotto throws hard and lands too, but Manny just has more of it and it accumulates. The jab does vanish at times and a good corner man would have given advice, but it's tough, isn't it? I notice in other rounds he is still trying to get that jab working, but once that buzz saw assault unleashes, what do you do? I think also at the time everyone thought Cotto was the bigger stronger man and maybe Cotto thought he could land something to hurt Manny. Manny was just so overwhelming and fast then, especially against the men in the higher weights. Marquez had obviously dealt with speedier fighters a lot and was fundamentally good, but even in fight 4 Manny was finally starting to just bust him up before getting careless. Marquez was not built for JWW and beyond.
    Manny got careless..that’s why Marquez won..or was it a lucky punch?

Manny was beating him up but he still got sparked out..

Floyd is 2 years older than Pac and is still getting blamed for this pathetic and boring fight not happening 5 years previous..if it was 5 years earlier Pac would have got knocked out in the later rounds..he can’t deal with smart fighters.

Pac needs a slower fighter to look amazing against so guys like Master and a Gandalf can cream their pants..

Pac just beat a prime Thurman and I believe should fight Spence or Crawford next..if he beats either of those two he will still be a great fighter with a great resume but a fighter that would never beat Floyd Mayweather.

In slow motion..there is nothing sweeter..

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Styles make fights so it’s hard to compare exactly who did better against who. JMM is a natural counter puncher which is a nightmare for Pacquiao but falls right into Floyds hands. Cotto gets on the inside and tries to rip to the body and head. Floyd had trouble with that style (Castillo and Maidana) while Pacquiao did well against that style.

I always say that certain people forgot about the early part of Floyds career. They look at the end of it and make an opinion and argument about his greatness. People forget that he was avoided earlier in his career because he wasn’t the money maker. He was a top p4p guy but didn’t get much respect.
    Mosley ducked Floyd for ages with a toothache..loads of fighters that ducked Floyd but because of Top Rank and Bob Arum, certain fights would never have been made.

The first Maidana fight looked tough and Floyd was fighting way out of his prime..styles make fights and unfortunately for Pac there are styles he can’t beat..Floyd beats all styles and struggles with some.

Back of the net.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Imp is drunk posting again where was the highlights of Fraud fighting Collin McGregor and the Japanese school kid?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Imp is drunk posting again where was the highlights of Fraud fighting Collin McGregor and the Japanese school kid?
    Japanese school kid was undefeated in kick boxing and undefeated in boxing and was also undefeated in other things but I can’t think of those things right now...lol

I don’t drink..smug imoji

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd 100%

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny fought grade A fighters but let's not forget Floyd climbed divisions to become recognized as a possible all time great. I am praising him as boxing's best chess master since Ali but Manny risked it all during his career and deserves our praises but Floyd may not be a scholar but his concentration and planning puts him levels above fighter in higher weight divisions and in years to come. He is the better fighter but I still don't like him but give him credit. He still needs a personality transplant.
    Last edited by Master; 11-20-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’ll start off by saying that I think that Pacquiao has a better resume than Floyd, but people are acting as if Floyd just ducked people and Pacquiao fought all top guys in their prime.

Pacquiao has multiple catch weight fights and refused to fight certain fighters too. He also had very sketchy PED accusations. I’m only saying this because people seem to be acting like Floyd was the only one of the two who tried to put advantages into his favor. Pacquiao did it all of the time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It looks like you have answered your own question with accomplishments. Pacquiao is still semi active. I don't get why so many want to compare Mayweather's career with Pacquiao's career. They have completely different backgrounds. Pacquiao and Duran have more similar backgrounds both coming from living and working the streets. Mayweather is from a boxing family and had a prominent armature career before turning pro. I think a better comparison is with Dela Hoya.

Thread Information