Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
Moore was a decent fighter, but I don't think he was genuinely world class.

Maybe him becoming a 'world champ' was the result of the splintering of the title into multiple Alphabet Belts?

Personally, I rate him as high as I would rate Zora Folley, Roland LaStarza, Jerry Quarry and other top level contenders who never quite made it to become champs (and that's not an insult to them)
I'm a die hard Holyfield fan and was not big on Moorer when he came up. But regardless of trinkets..he beat 'the man' be it lineal and or owner of two belts. Not to mention winning the WBO when Mercer refused to fight him.

From what I know of Folley that may not be far off. Good comparison. Again I'd put a win over Holyfield above what is a pretty respectable record for Folley who also like Moorer could turn in a snoozer or two or get hammered in a couple of major step ups. Thinking about all 3, they clearly blow Moorer out of the water when it comes to longevity and viability in the ranks. I know LaStarza may have very well edged a pre title Marciano and had to wait 3 long years to get another crack. Within the same span Moorer had his 15 minutes of fame, got starched by Big George, had Teddy Atlas almost leave him during the ugly zzzz fight with Bean and after Holyfield II retired for another 3.