Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The story of Moorer v Holyfield 1

Hey, do any of you guys have the back-story of what resulted in the Holyfield v Moorer 1? How did the fight lead up and what resulted in the match-up? The mood at the time and why people had clamoured for the fight?

I find it one of those odd-heavyweight fights that seemed to be we could have done without on the face of it, but looking back at it now it is a classic fight!
    A bit more on why it happened when it did would help a lot!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The story of Moorer v Holyfield 1

Holyfield had just won his heavyweight title back from Bowe with the help of Manny Steward. He decided not to pay Manny because he thought he was too expensive for his match against Moorer. Holyfield said there was nothing Manny could teach him as he was very experienced fighter by then.

Michael Moorer was the number 1 contender but had not fought any top 10 contenders and was the underdog in the fight. He had been wobbled a few times and knocked down but won against Bert Cooper in that classic match.

Holyfield came into the fight injured because he could not get his punches off and I was screaming at the TV screen saying just throw the combinations and he would win. Moorer out boxed a slow and old Evander. This was the infamous fight where Teddy Atlas was screaming at Moorer that he was blowing the fight and was being over dramatic for the TV. Holyfield did knock Moorer down in the fight but was clearly out boxed to lose his title.

Moorer became the first southpaw heavyweight champion.

Holyfield claimed he had a heart attack during the fight and retired. Only to come back a year later to say he was cured.

Moorer was the biggest waste of space as a heavyweight just looked bored and disinterested in his fights at time. Very boring to watch but at light heavyweight he was a beast who could punch hard. Moorer said he wanted to retire as a boxer and become a sniper for SWAT which showed his heart was not in the game.

Moorer lost his title in his first defence against Foreman when he was comprehensively out boxing the old man but got careless. I will never forgive him for that. I hated Big George and his fake come back.

Eventually Holyfield got revenge against Moorer when he again became champion beating Tyson and unifying the title. The fight was on channel 5 and the commentators were saying Moorer would win. Holyfield knocked down Michael loads of time and stopped him. Holyfield should never have lost to Moorer because he was made to order for him to eat up the left hook and right cross of Evander.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Moorer fought a helluva fight that night. His jab was superb and double the thud being a converted southpaw. But basically it was a 1 point fight on the cards and if not for the 2nd round being scored 10-10..a round where Holyfield dropped him clean with a peach of 1-2 hook combo..Holyfield would have remained champ via draw. Moorer deserved it. Whatever Holyfield ailments Double M stayed very poised and showed his hand speed and countering. He was also going through a rotation of trainers and brand new to Teddy Atlas. Moorer was a seriously surely dude and had a anger chip on his shoulder but Teddy rode him hard in camp and didn't take any of his temperamental bs.

I wouldn't go so far to say Moorer hadn't faced anyone. Today we take guys jumping up and down as a given but it's overlooked that Moorer made a complete transition to heavyweight in just 4 months. He got knocked down by Bigfoot Martin so the doubts of chin and questions started. He had foty wars with known commodities Alex Stewart and Cooper and won a WBO belt doing it. He was ranked number 1 and set to face champ Ray Mercer in what would have been a faaaaantastic scrap. But Mercer opted for the money fight with an "old shot" Holmes so Moorer picked it up with Cooper. The best thing about the short run was Moorer dropping the trinket right off because he said "it retarded his career". Then he again changed trainers with Benton and Duva who had him way to conservative fighting a snoozer with Bonecrusher Smith. Holyfield had all eyes on re unifying the belts looking at Lewis who was still very unknown talent wise and looking for Tyson who fell through twice already. All looked at Moorer at a lesser level I think and it bit Holyfield right on the arse. Loved that they got the rematch years later, huge brass on Moorer but he was bounced around like a ping pong ball.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well you see, Holyfield had many children out of wedlock. That’s expensive. So not only did he cheat on his women and the religion he talked endlessly about but he also decided to cheat the sport he claimed to love. Cheaters cheat, so Holyfield began a long-standing regiment of steroid use, after all heavyweight is where the money is. And he didn’t really believe in anything other than himself. Dollar dollar bills y’all

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Well you see, Holyfield had many children out of wedlock. That’s expensive. So not only did he cheat on his women and the religion he talked endlessly about but he also decided to cheat the sport he claimed to love. Cheaters cheat, so Holyfield began a long-standing regiment of steroid use, after all heavyweight is where the money is. And he didn’t really believe in anything other than himself. Dollar dollar bills y’all
    Blah blah. Just one big ball of fact recorded info this fine night eh. Holyfield was human and an era defining fighter. Look long enough and you'll find faults in all.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Blah blah. Just one big ball of fact recorded info this fine night eh. Holyfield was human and an era defining fighter. Look long enough and you'll find faults in all.
    Blah blah about a man risking others lives by cheating. Shows how crazy fandom is when a good guy like yourself sees me as the bad guy for pointing out a scumbag being a scumbag

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Moorer bored me to tears when I watched him box. He was exciting at light heavyweight and only exciting when pushed by his opponents at heavyweight. He looked bored and disinterested when he fought.

I distinctly remember he never fought a top 10 fighter to get his shot at the title when he fought Evander. The only reason he won was because Evander was worn out and jaded. I forgot how close the fight was until Spicoli mentioned the scoring. Any decent heavyweight would have beaten Evander on that night, he just could not pull the trigger and was frustrating to watch.

The fight is only really remembered because of Teddy Atlas over acting and reactions during his corner work trying to motivate Moorer to keep the pace up.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Blah blah about a man risking others lives by cheating. Shows how crazy fandom is when a good guy like yourself sees me as the bad guy for pointing out a scumbag being a scumbag
    Well thanks for that I think. But who's to say you or I are not bigger scum bags than Holyfield or countless others minus the 24/7 world wide profile. Bet I have exactly 1 more dui than Holyfield does . No one said you're a bad guy, ok well I didn't , but I think crazy fandom is also delving into a guys marriage etc for low hanging fruit.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Moorer bored me to tears when I watched him box. He was exciting at light heavyweight and only exciting when pushed by his opponents at heavyweight. He looked bored and disinterested when he fought.

I distinctly remember he never fought a top 10 fighter to get his shot at the title when he fought Evander. The only reason he won was because Evander was worn out and jaded. I forgot how close the fight was until Spicoli mentioned the scoring. Any decent heavyweight would have beaten Evander on that night, he just could not pull the trigger and was frustrating to watch.

The fight is only really remembered because of Teddy Atlas over acting and reactions during his corner work trying to motivate Moorer to keep the pace up.
    You're stuck mate. Yes Moorer was boorish and surly and tried to box more as he went up. I think the whole top 10 ranking thing blurs it. The wbo was in it's infancy and the 3 alphabet boys would have none of it..hence why Moorer dropped it to get at the others. But the fact that Moorer won a title as number 1 against Cooper who was ranked number 2 was there. The same Cooper who was only months removed from dragging Holyfield..who had just trained for Mike Tyson so assuming peak form.. to the very brink of catastrophe. Moorer was also ranked in The Rings top 4-5 for two years onto the Holyfield fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I forgot Moorer won the IBF title against Schulz in Germany, defended it successfully against Botha and Vaughan Bean before losing it to Holyfield. Still think he was a poor champion and a fully fit Holyfield would have beaten him easily the first time if he was fit.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Moore was a decent fighter, but I don't think he was genuinely world class.

Maybe him becoming a 'world champ' was the result of the splintering of the title into multiple Alphabet Belts?

Personally, I rate him as high as I would rate Zora Folley, Roland LaStarza, Jerry Quarry and other top level contenders who never quite made it to become champs (and that's not an insult to them)
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield had just won his heavyweight title back from Bowe with the help of Manny Steward. He decided not to pay Manny because he thought he was too expensive for his match against Moorer. Holyfield said there was nothing Manny could teach him as he was very experienced fighter by then.

Michael Moorer was the number 1 contender but had not fought any top 10 contenders and was the underdog in the fight. He had been wobbled a few times and knocked down but won against Bert Cooper in that classic match.

Holyfield came into the fight injured because he could not get his punches off and I was screaming at the TV screen saying just throw the combinations and he would win. Moorer out boxed a slow and old Evander. This was the infamous fight where Teddy Atlas was screaming at Moorer that he was blowing the fight and was being over dramatic for the TV. Holyfield did knock Moorer down in the fight but was clearly out boxed to lose his title.

Holyfield claimed he had a heart attack during the fight and retired. Only to come back a year later to say he was cured.

Moorer was the biggest waste of space as a heavyweight just looked bored and disinterested in his fights at time. Very boring to watch but at light heavyweight he was a beast who could punch hard. Moorer said he wanted to retire as a boxer and become a sniper for SWAT which showed his heart was not in the game.

Moorer lost his title in his first defence against Foreman when he was comprehensively out boxing the old man but got careless. I will never forgive him for that. I hated Big George and his fake come back.

Eventually Holyfield got revenge against Moorer when he again became champion beating Tyson and unifying the title. The fight was on channel 5 and the commentators were saying Moorer would win. Holyfield knocked down Michael loads of time and stopped him. Holyfield should never have lost to Moorer because he was made to order for him to eat up the left hook and right cross of Evander.
    The first two paragraphs was cool, but then you turned it into a screed against Moorer. lolol....

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're stuck mate. Yes Moorer was boorish and surly and tried to box more as he went up. I think the whole top 10 ranking thing blurs it. The wbo was in it's infancy and the 3 alphabet boys would have none of it..hence why Moorer dropped it to get at the others. But the fact that Moorer won a title as number 1 against Cooper who was ranked number 2 was there. The same Cooper who was only months removed from dragging Holyfield..who had just trained for Mike Tyson so assuming peak form.. to the very brink of catastrophe. Moorer was also ranked in The Rings top 4-5 for two years onto the Holyfield fight.
    Thanks for this. This was what more of what I was looking for- what was the boxing world looking at when they made this match? Why Moorer for the title? Why did Holyfield take this over another contender like Morrison or Bruno?

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

The first two paragraphs was cool, but then you turned it into a screed against Moorer. lolol....
    Your thread opened up emotions that I was not aware were there for me. It was almost therapeutic letting my feelings out. For that, I thank you.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

Your thread opened up emotions that I was not aware were there for me. It was almost therapeutic letting my feelings out. For that, I thank you.
    We need a prayer circle for you, @Master. lol....

Hidden Content

Thread Information