Thread: South Korea #1 OECD Suicide Leader

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Another K-Pop Suicide: HARA (Sulli was LAST month)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    In 1993 I had the opportunity to visit South Korea for about 3 weeks. Many many parents told me that they would never ever accept that their children become bakers or mechanics or own a car wash things of that nature in the blue-collar category. They all thought their children would be MBA executives okay? that is unsustainable pie-in-the-sky nonsense. Sick people when a baker or a barber is considered embarrassing to be
    You are a compulsive liar. My brother in law is an independent baker running his own operation and does very well. He employs 3 other people and has invested well. Many people encourage their children to go into cuisine and baking and I actually teach a group learning that very trade. I don't think anyone has considered it embarrassing. My sister in law is likewise a hair stylist and once you have your own little set up going on, it pays well too. I am not sure you really saw very much reality in your '3 weeks' as these ideas exist mostly in your head and these trades can pay very well. The jobs people do tend to be the same kind of jobs people do in any developed country and most people are not exactly killing themselves.

Worry more about your own life rather than some Kpop singer that you didn't even know existed until the last 24 hours.
    Miles it does seem South Korea has a very high suicide rate, perhaps it’s lack of diversity.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only thing I would concede is that fresh into an industry you start low, but over time and with experience and then know how once you get yourself set up even those jobs you are critical of can pay decently or even exceptionally well. The woman who cuts my hair does it on her own, basically owns the set up, and 10 hours a day will be pulling in between 10-100 dollars an hour depending on how busy and kind of treatment. Weekends are packed thus I never go. I actually go before opening to make sure I never wait as just five minutes means waiting. For me 8 dollars for a 5 minute cut and a quick wash. Easy money. Add that up over the yea and it is decent. Who is looking down on her exactly? Not the people getting a good efficient service, that is for sure.

People are not especially cruel and know if their child is not cut out to be an engineer, they will guide in another direction. That is actually a big difference as every young person has an idea of where they will go. On the whole I certainly did not have any of that and that simply isn't good for you. To have a skill whether it pays a lot or not is kind of important as you do need to be earning something.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Every one (like bff beaner does) needs to go on the dole or some kind off assistance until the system can no longer sustain it and it all comes crashing down. Then we rebuild in the proper way.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    In 1993 I had the opportunity to visit South Korea for about 3 weeks. Many many parents told me that they would never ever accept that their children become bakers or mechanics or own a car wash things of that nature in the blue-collar category. They all thought their children would be MBA executives okay? that is unsustainable pie-in-the-sky nonsense. Sick people when a baker or a barber is considered embarrassing to be
    You are a compulsive liar. My brother in law is an independent baker running his own operation and does very well. He employs 3 other people and has invested well. Many people encourage their children to go into cuisine and baking and I actually teach a group learning that very trade. I don't think anyone has considered it embarrassing. My sister in law is likewise a hair stylist and once you have your own little set up going on, it pays well too. I am not sure you really saw very much reality in your '3 weeks' as these ideas exist mostly in your head and these trades can pay very well. The jobs people do tend to be the same kind of jobs people do in any developed country and most people are not exactly killing themselves.

Worry more about your own life rather than some Kpop singer that you didn't even know existed until the last 24 hours.
    Miles it does seem South Korea has a very high suicide rate, perhaps it’s lack of diversity.
    There is diversity, but you wouldn't notice due to the majority of migrants being other Asians, mainly Chinese and others.

When we talk about suicide we are talking about a very small percentage of the population. Every case is different. It might sound harsh but I prefer a society where people choose to take their own lives rather than the lives of others. Both are extreme and undesirable, but at least one does not kill people who do not want to die. I know that sounds a bit odd, but better for a mass shooter to top himself than shoot 20 on the way down. Plus with drugs and alcohol the US suicide rate is very high except you call it internal bleeding or accidental or what have you. It was still reckless behavior resulting in death.

The point bring this thread has brought up the name of a woman who killed herself because of nothing to do with what the OP was ranting about. She was in an abusive relationship and was likely tormented from that and goodness knows what else, but there is mental health support if you seek it. I would prefer this not to happen, but it does and happens anywhere.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the woman killed herself precisely for what I was quote-unquote ranting about. South Korea is a very sick emotionally sick society that needs to rely heavily upon plastic surgery and fake out with personalities while in the words of the woman herself who just committed suicide you have to put on a fake show for the world while inside you are rotting in pieces. What is the result of such a fake existence? Suicide of course. Name another oecd country with a higher suicide rate in South Korea.

I guess you call that being a liar. you blindly defend South Korea when you know it is a plastic country with plastic people highly materialistic and yes indeed people push their children 16 hours a day in schools why so they can be a baker? You know damn well they're pushing their kids 16 hours a day so they can go to the top three universities in Seoul to be white collar executives. Even the poorest families in the lowest income neighborhoods send their children to hagwons until 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. at night. That's 16 hours a day and they're not sending them to English hag ones and math had ones and science hagwons in order for them to be Baker's or hair stylists and you know it. Quit blindly defending South Korea.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Every one (like bff beaner does) needs to go on the dole or some kind off assistance until the system can no longer sustain it and it all comes crashing down. Then we rebuild in the proper way.
    I guess Beanz is a bit like the baker or hair stylist in that he is working at his own arty thing and in time doing that can well pay off or it might not. For hair the pay sucks while you work at getting your license, but once you get your own place running and gain a reputation, it can be very good. Many of course give up before then. It is a hard job to stand all day or to get up at 4am and be a baker. Every job has its good and bad points and money is nice, but so is quality of life. All about choices and what you want.

You start somewhere and if you are good at what you do end up somewhere better. I certainly don't look down on the hairdresser who has a skill and initiative that means she will never need to go on the dole. It is all good. People will always demand a haircut. And lest we forget where Marco Pierre White began. You rise through luck and discipline.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the woman killed herself precisely for what I was quote-unquote ranting about. South Korea is a very sick emotionally sick society that needs to rely heavily upon plastic surgery and fake out with personalities while in the words of the woman herself who just committed suicide you have to put on a fake show for the world while inside you are rotting in pieces. What is the result of such a fake existence? Suicide of course. Name another oecd country with a higher suicide rate in South Korea.

I guess you call that being a liar. you blindly defend South Korea when you know it is a plastic country with plastic people highly materialistic and yes indeed people push their children 16 hours a day in schools why so they can be a baker? You know damn well they're pushing their kids 16 hours a day so they can go to the top three universities in Seoul to be white collar executives. Even the poorest families in the lowest income neighborhoods send their children to hagwons until 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. at night. That's 16 hours a day and they're not sending them to English hag ones and math had ones and science hagwons in order for them to be Baker's or hair stylists and you know it. Quit blindly defending South Korea.
    Who exactly is rotting inside in pieces? Who is living a fake life? This is an individual who killed herself for reasons not entirely known, but they are her own reasons and that is what has happened. Were you a fan of hers?

It has no connection to people somehow frowning on bakers and hairstylists or worrying about pensions or this utter BS you have picked up as a Frenchman who needs Grammarly to communicate who has miraculously spoken to hundreds of parents during a period of ahem 3 weeks during your trip away from the slums of Baltimore. See any slums out here BTW? Where is this brilliant nation you appear to be seeking? It isn't America, it isn't South Korea, so wise Frenchie, what are your glorious picks?

I know for a fact that many parents are not doing what you say, but some do indeed push their kids. I have given you an example of an actual hairdresser, an actual baker, and I can give you many examples of people who have gone onto good Universities without needing Academies or any of that. Some people really are naturally smart, disciplined and scholarships abound to support them.

Tidy your room there in America with 70,000 opioid deaths alone in 2017. That puts it into perspective and does not include actual suicides, murders, and the old fashioned chronic alcoholism. The rates are not so different.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bottom line is those who obsess about money and their financial futures and obsess over their 401k and retirement plans and try to be frugal for their entire lives meet this fate whereas those who spend abundantly from the abundance that Allah has blessed them with are the true free spirits and the thought of suicide will never cross their minds.
    But the lack of thought about these things is often WHY old people kill themselves.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Huh! 🧟

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have read that these children are manufactured by the industry from a young age and locked away to rehearse for years before being launched to the public of South Korea.

They have to get plastic surgery done on them and are tied to strict contracts where they have to pay back the money invested in them before making of their own. This has been going on for years and the exploitation needs exposing.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly. This needs to be exposed. Like the mental health issues in South Korea too. It is TABOO there to even MENTION the word psychiatrist.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

However, the culture of silence around mental health extends to South Korean society at large. According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, South Korea has consistently had one of the highest suicide rates among developed countries, prompting its government to take steps to tackle the issue.

Euny Hong, the Korean-American author of The Birth of Korean Cool: How One Nation is Conquering the World with Pop Culture, tells Yahoo Lifestyle that the increasing pressures of being a K-pop star from their record labels and the public, combined with the stigmas around mental illness in South Korea, will continue to drive its idols over the edge.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Japan has a similar issue about suicides. They have issues anout loneliness and an aging population.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I think Japan has a similar issue about suicides. They have issues anout loneliness and an aging population.
    Yes. Korea and Japan just about at the top of the list after Russia. They don't know how to have sex they have sex robots. Very sick kind of fetish societies.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I have read that these children are manufactured by the industry from a young age and locked away to rehearse for years before being launched to the public of South Korea.

They have to get plastic surgery done on them and are tied to strict contracts where they have to pay back the money invested in them before making of their own. This has been going on for years and the exploitation needs exposing.
    This is a terrible thing and I consider the industry an exploitative one. It isn't so much about paying back what you borrowed, it is the parents who allow it and the industry that makes harsh demands. Kids should not be pushed into it and deluded into thinking it is amazing. It is tough, degrading, and cruel.

Thread Information