Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

Tank and Crawford are going at it on Twitter. Unfortunately they will never fight since they are in different weight classes.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Here’s a 168lb fighter that has sparred Davis saying “Davis punishes 168 pounders” but what does he know he’s just another pro witness

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N4900iBOV8Q

There's no denying that Tank has power. It was interesting to see Nicholson speculate as to how high Tank could go up and be champ (147). I wouldn't bet against him, but not any higher than that.

He did hit Gamboa with a lot of flush power shots, and I was surprised to see Gamboa take them all, until finally succumbing in the last round.

I was also glad to see Davis give himself a C+ on the performance, obviously not happy with it. Gamboa was an old, gimpy warrior.... and Davis should've had him out of there long before the 12th round.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2020/01...ured-achilles/

"Yuriorkis Gamboa won’t need surgery to repair his injured Achilles"

Surgery or no surgery, Yuriorkis should retire. He's 38, pretty old for a lightweight.... and Achilles heel injuries take a while to come back from.

He can retire with his head held high, as he managed to last 11 1/2 rounds against the powerful Davis, all on a gimpy foot.

If I was his manager I'd certainly advise him to retire.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haye injured his achillis against Bellew but got it repaired and fought again. It can be done. If they commitment and desire is there then he could carry on and try and earn a living.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For those unfamiliar with the injury

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOhgb1pn6Q0

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was very informative, thank you. So basically according to Dr. Sutterer, Gamboa and his people were correct in calling it a rupture.
    Still.... I still have the same takeaways from the fight and injury as I did before.
    Namely:

1. Regardless of whether it was a rupture or tear, the fact of the matter is that Gamboa sustained a significant injury to his Achilles and displayed major "cojones" in continuing to fight and last until the 12th round.

2. With all due respect to Dr. Sutterer and the entire medical field, I think it's confusing to call a tear a "partial rupture." To me, the word "rupture" immediately conjures up the vision of complete separation, regardless of the size of the gap.
    The interchanging of the terms "partial tear" and "partial rupture" lend confusion to a condition that is pretty straightforward. Either the ligament is cut all the way through, or it's not.

3. So to me, it's likely that Gamboa suffered a partial tear of the Achilles. If he did in fact "rupture" his Achilles and yet continued to fight, he moves to 1st place in the Major Cojones category.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    What are you talking about Davis KOs heavyweights? If so they are obviously piss poor or not even pro fighters, what kind of a claim is that. By no means saying he isn't a great puncher or anything, just don't be a loon.
    If you don’t like facts sure throw out insults. Ignore what has happened Here is just one witness talking about it. But you weren’t there so go ahead and continue speculating and insulting rather than listening. It’s a great way to be wrong but feel right https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ymXQls7cgig
    Just one witness talking about it, and that makes it a fact? Also I'll assume he doesn't mention what calibre of HW it was. I take it you weren't there either. I wasn't insulting you, thats boring as you do it for us.
    - he irons out heavyweights but gets taken 12 by a shot geriatric with one leg. LDBC/PBC never lie, only non-Haymonites do that.
    Yeah I'll go on the evidence of my own eyes too. If he can't spark Gamboa after hitting him with endless flush shots he's going to struggle against any top lightweight who isn't shot to bits, chinny and on a gimpy leg. And doesn't have the discipline to make weight either. He should try and stick around at super feather for a while, if his power doesn't carry up he's too short to be a dominant fighter north of 130.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2020/01...-need-surgery/

"Yuriorkis Gamboa suffered complete tear of Achilles against Gervonta Davis, will need surgery"

This makes Gamboa look better than he did that night, and Davis worse.

A complete tear... wow. I really don't think Gamboa can or should come back from that. By the time it heals properly for him to even consider fighting again, he'll be too old.

Thread Information