We still pretending?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo’s short list

Canelo’s potential opponent list looked really good a month ago. Now it’s looking a little worse. He still has a lot of options though. He basically said that he isn’t going back down to middleweight. It’s too hard of a cut at this point. So Charlo and Andrade are out. He said that he isn’t interested in another GGG fight (I’m not either after last GGG fight). I doubt he fights Beterbiev or Bivol at light HW. One thing that wouldn’t shock me is fighting Bivol at super middleweight. I know that Bivol has mentioned that he could make that weight.

Super middleweight still has some decent options. Plant is a decent match up as well as Benavidez. The issue though is that all of his potential match ups against more established fighters have either looked bad in their last fight or he has moved weight.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You’re misunderstanding. This is the list Canelo put out himself.

GGG-he said
    Callum
    Ryder
    BJS

Yes Benividez and Plant should be considered. But, again he said 160-175 is all good(which would include Andrade and Charlo but he doesn’t)and he is looking at only the 4 above. Which only GGG would move the needle even possibly in American subscriptions to DAZN. So there is no financial incentive for this list

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    You’re misunderstanding. This is the list Canelo put out himself.

GGG-he said
    Callum
    Ryder
    BJS

Yes Benividez and Plant should be considered. But, again he said 160-175 is all good(which would include Andrade and Charlo but he doesn’t)and he is looking at only the 4 above. Which only GGG would move the needle even possibly in American subscriptions to DAZN. So there is no financial incentive for this list
    Really? I didn’t know he put this list out. I remember after the Kovalev fight he said that he probably couldn’t make middleweight anymore. I guess it’s an option that he’s keeping open just in case a mega fight could be made there with someone going up in weight (like Crawford). I’m assuming that he is done at middleweight though.

As much as I don’t like his tactics though, I’m not too worried about him taking a little easier fight next. Ryder would be pretty disappointing, but Smith or BJS have at least proven to be good fighters in the past. Both of them would probably take the fight very seriously. A focused BJS I think beats Canelo actually. As I said before though, another GGG fight is not interesting at all anymore for me. I thought that he definitely got beat in his last fight and is only getting worse while Canelo is improving.

When it comes down to it though, that’s why I always preach cleaning out divisions. We wouldn’t be having this conversation if he just decided to fight Charlo and Andrade then went up to the next weight. If he would have done that and beat them both, I most likely would have him my #1 p4p guy. Jumping around weights just makes it easier to choose an opponent of your liking.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Doesn't make aloe of sense as he was pretty very dismissive of Golovkin getting a third fight as he hasn't 'done anything' and that was before Derevyanchenko gave as good as he got. If Canelo took the money grab there he'd probably want GGG coming up. Ryder and Saunders would be guaranteed ways to tune into something else that night. Smith and Benavidez are formidable at 168 but doubt Canelo takes them next out. Or he could do something respectable and demand a unification at 175 and get to the point. You're not a jack n the box son enough bouncing around, pick a division already and clean up.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Doesn't make aloe of sense as he was pretty very dismissive of Golovkin getting a third fight as he hasn't 'done anything' and that was before Derevyanchenko gave as good as he got. If Canelo took the money grab there he'd probably want GGG coming up. Ryder and Saunders would be guaranteed ways to tune into something else that night. Smith and Benavidez are formidable at 168 but doubt Canelo takes them next out. Or he could do something respectable and demand a unification at 175 and get to the point. You're not a jack n the box son enough bouncing around, pick a division already and clean up.
    Exactly. I don’t care which division. Just clean ONE out. That’s all I’m asking along with no more catch weights and tainted meat.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Exactly. I don’t care which division. Just clean ONE out. That’s all I’m asking along with no more catch weights and tainted meat.
    It really is as simple as ..hey champ just do work. Make it quality and we'll tune in respect where it's due. Personally I have zero interest in a GGG v Canelo III. He's climbed his latter and staked a claim now carry through on it. I can't seriously knock him for not returning for Andrade either. Just saw Liam Williams and Alantez Fox were sorting it out for his mandatory opponent so. matter of levels in the Canelo sweepstakes.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo should fight Callum Smith and get another ring championship. It is a simple battle and he can then give the Ryder a chance he deserve

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After Canelo beating Rocky Fielding he puts Ryder on his possible list of opponents? That is embarrassing.

GGG beat him twice so Canelo can stay up at super middleweight and avoid him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It should be more like this:

Beterbiev
    Bivol
    Benavidez
    Plant
    Derevyanchenko
    Charlo
    Andrade
    Saunders
    Smith

Any chance Eubank Jr gets a crack if he gets by Korobov?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

Beterbiev
    Bivol
    Benavidez
    Plant
    Derevyanchenko
    Charlo
    Andrade
    Saunders
    Smith

Is Korobov any good? Powerpuncher and you rate him and think he could beat Eubank Jnr.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Beterbiev
    Bivol
    Benavidez
    Plant
    Derevyanchenko
    Charlo
    Andrade
    Saunders
    Smith

Is Korobov any good? Powerpuncher and you rate him and think he could beat Eubank Jnr.
    I would rate it a very impressive win for Eubank if he could beat Korobov. Easily his best win of his career. But I could definitely see Canelo fighting Eubank. It seems like a Canelo thing to do for some reason.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beterbiev
    Bivol
    Benavidez
    Plant
    Derevyanchenko
    Charlo
    Andrade
    Saunders
    Smith

I try to be a realist and just put out of my mind that Canelo has any interest in actually trying to unify the light heavyweight division. As far as I can tell, it was purely a title grab to make “history.”

As I said before, he is not going back down to middleweight unless there is a super fight to be made. So super middleweight is his option. Super middleweight doesn’t have any world beaters, but it does have some pretty good fighters. As you said, Benavidez is the best fight for him there. Too bad that Ramirez moved up. That could have been a good Mexican scrap.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My biggest question for the OP is: who have Andrade or Charlo beaten to be considered as must fight opponents? Why can’t they fight each other (or Danny Jacobs, GGG...etc.) to prove their worth/inclusion among the elite? Personally, I’m good with Canelo fighting any of those guys on that list and not fighting Andrade or Charlo until one of them Beats elite comp.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it better not turn out to be fucking yarde
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Thread Information