Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Christy Martin and Bernard Hopkins headline Boxing HOF class

Middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins, four-division champion Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico, three-division champ Shane Mosley and women’s star Christy Martin have been elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

This was the first year that women were on the ballot and Barbara Buttrick of England and Lucia Rijker of the Netherlands joined Martin in making history as the first female boxers elected. Buttrick was elected in the Trailblazers category, while Martin and Rijker were elected in the Modern category.

Also elected by members of the Boxing Writers Association and a panel of international boxing historians were promoters Lou DiBella and Kathy Duva in the Non-Participant category and journalists Bernard Fernandez and Thomas Hauser in the Observer category.

Posthumous honorees include lightweight champion Frank Erne in the Old Timer category, Paddy Ryan in the Pioneer category and promoter Dan Goossen in the Non-Participant category.

Nicknamed “The Coal Miner’s Daughter,” Martin, a native of West Virginia, began boxing on a dare in 1986 while still in college, entering and winning a “tough woman" contest. Although she graduated with honors from Concord College, Martin elected to pursue the sweet science and turned pro in 1989 while working as a substitute teacher in Tennessee.

Martin brought women’s boxing to the mainstream in the mid-1990s, becoming the first woman to sign a promotional contract with promoter Don King and landing on the cover of Sports Illustrated. She won the WBC super welterweight championship in 2009 and compiled a 49-7-3 record with 31 KOs in her career.

“I just wanted to be a fighter and fit into the world of boxing and this is a dream come true,” Martin said. “I’m always excited to come back to Canastota, but to come back this year will be very special.”

Hopkins holds the record for the most successful title defenses in middleweight boxing history at 20. He’ll join former middleweight champions Carlos Monzon, who successfully defended 14 times, and Marvelous Marvin Hagler, who defended 12 times, as a Hall of Famer on induction Sunday next June 14.

“I’m glad I’m entering the house of greatness past and present,” Hopkins said. “Thanks to boxing, I became a greater inspiration to the world.”

Mosley, known for his quick hand speed, beat Oscar De La Hoya twice during a pro career that produced a record of 49-10-1 with 41 KOs.

“I’m so happy and honored,” Mosley said. “I’ve worked my whole life for this. Even when I started as a kid at 8 years old I knew this is what I wanted to do and what I wanted to be. I have accomplished my goals to be one of the greats and go into the Hall of Fame, so this is a great honor.”

Buttrick, who began boxing in her native England, came to United States in the 1950s to box legally and won a world championship while breaking down barriers.

“This is wonderful news. It means a lot to me," Buttrick said. “After I started out with everybody against me back in the 1940s, it is nice to be recognized.”

Rijker, the first licensed female boxer in her home country, was nicknamed “The Dutch Destroyer" and certainly lived up to the moniker. She made her pro debut in 1996, signed a promotional contract with Bob Arum’s Top Rank and won all 17 of her professional fights with 14 knockouts.

For Rijker, selection was an emotional moment.

“This is very moving," she said. “As I entered normal life after boxing there is a memory of boxing that is in my heart and soul. There is really a strong connection I have to that era and I am really honored to be reminded of that time because sometimes there is a time in your life where everything comes together - mind, body and spirit - and definitely my boxing career aligned all three of them to be the best I could be on all levels. I’m very grateful for that and grateful to be recognized.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/christy-...8676--box.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Christy Martin and Bernard Hopkins headline Boxing HOF class

A few greats who put a decade on the map there. I don’t have anything against a female fighter being incurred for the first time as they’ve been in the sport years and years before a Martin came along. Biggest sticking point are the 2 minutes rounds other than I have no doubt they train just as intensely as their male counterparts. Love seeing Marquez get in, the man basically had two separate careers before blowing up mainstream. In a way same can be true of Hopkins though he milked those old bones until he suffered his 1 and only KO loss.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a shame this event is coming on the heels of a quarantine. I haven't bought any tickets, wonder if it is still on. Somehow, someway I am sure Hopkins is convinced Covid was timed to keep him from induction.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

**UPDATE**

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...s-to-2021.html

Coronavirus: Canastota’s Boxing Hall of Fame moves this summer’s inductions to 2021
    Posted Mar 29, 2020

The International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota announced Sunday that this summer’s scheduled induction ceremony has been postponed due to coronavirus pandemic, and the classes of 2020 and 2021 will be enshrined together next summer.

(Hopefully Bernard doesn't get the urge to comeback...thus waiting an additional five years)

I knew Christy martin was being inducted, but didn't know so, too is Lucia Rijker. I have no clue who Barbara Buttrick is, yet she is on it as well.

Bernard Hopkins, Juan Manuel Marquez, Shane Mosely, Frank Erne Paddy Ryan, promoters Lou DiBella, Kathy Duva and Dan Goossen and journalists Bernard Fernandez and Thomas Hauser will have to wait till next year.
    That might be a bonanza HOF year ---then again it has been so watered down, I wonder if they should actually induct every other year instead,

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been to 3.

Anyone else been? Tyson & JCC induction was my last time, not sure when that was, 2011?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    I've been to 3.

Anyone else been? Tyson & JCC induction was my last time, not sure when that was, 2011?
    I would love to go one year. I would not care who was going to headline just being there would be historic.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I've been to 3.

I would love to go one year. I would not care who was going to headline just being there would be historic.
    Start saving now & ya may be able to get there next year. It is truly a wonderful event- BUT...some years are sorry. My first trip was nice considering I went to meet up with an entire forum then called Boxingbb...without them it would've sucked- one- Holmes being the star that year played up to him being the dingaling he comes across as.
    Even forced to apologize to a fan whom he said- he'd give an autograph for $.

His point was that Canastota makes a lot of money off fighters who go broke...good observation-but piss poor way to get it across. I was at a auction/dinner (costs about $120) I am so glad I did not raise my hand..
    I think it was an autograph (to play to Larry's point) signed by Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran...

So lets start the bid, 15, do I hear 15...(so I open my wallet and was like...shit..$15 dollars...what a bargain...I may go up to $30
    Then one guy got the bid and the bidder (THEN SAID)...we got 15....15....can we get 16 hundred dollars....

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

autographed glove that is.

Side note- If cutmemick ever comes back..ask him about his favorite glove...it is a mutha!
    Pacman, Barerra, Morales, Marquez &...Beristein!!!!!!!

That mutha….

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got a glove...where each guy got his ass kicked soon afterward...
    Chad Dawson, Steve Cunningham, Chazz Witherspoon - they were all undefeated at the time...thought I might have to put the glove in a time capsule to protect it. Today I doubt that glove is worth more than what I paid for, but nice knowing I got it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been to 3.

Have you ever talked to Rick Glaser?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I've been to 3.

Have you ever talked to Rick Glaser?
    No sir. Talked with many a boxer and the guy that runs the IBHOF, but I can't think of his name. I just remember teasing him at Grazi's pub cause every year he likes to do his karaoke thing there. "Man, You Temptations, Motown-medly- livin in the past mofo...How ya doin!"

Thread Information