Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 10 Biggest Polluters on Earth

Below are the Top 10 emitters of carbon dioxide from 2018, along with the global share and the change each country has experienced since the 2005 Kyoto Protocol.

China (up 55%}
    India {up 106%}
    Russia
    USA (down 12% since Kyoto protocol)
    Japan
    South Korea (up 38% @Gandalf )
    Germany
    Iran
    Canada
    Saudi Arabia

Of the Top 3 emitters, China and India have both experienced massive increases since 2005. The U.S. has experienced double-digit declines, as have Germany and Japan.

Large changes in coal consumption are the primary driver behind most of the countries mentioned above. China and India have greatly expanded their usage of coal, while the U.S. and Germany have seen sharp declines in coal consumption.

A key driver in the U.S. and Germany was legislation aimed at limiting carbon dioxide emissions. This helped spur rapid growth in renewable energy usage in both countries, which helped lower demand for coal.

But in the U.S., an even larger driver in reducing coal consumption was the shale gas boom, which created enormous supplies of cheap natural gas. Over the past decade, consumption of renewable power in the U.S. rose by 349 terawatt-hours (TWh). Over that same span, power from natural gas increased by 696 TWh — nearly double the renewable energy contribution.

Related: OPEC+ Agrees To Deeper Output Cuts

The U.S., in fact has reduced carbon dioxide emissions by more than any other country @Beanz since the Kyoto Protocol, while China has increased emissions by more than any other country.

It should be noted that the U.S. is first among countries when it comes to responsibility for historical carbon dioxide emitted into the atmosphere. However, given China’s current emissions and the trends, they will pass the U.S. in the overall CO2 contribution to the atmosphere in a little more than a decade.

It also remains true that China’s per capita carbon dioxide emissions are much lower than those in the U.S. @walrus In 2018, annual emissions in the U.S. stood at 16 metric tons per person, while those in China were 8 metric tons per person. However, since 1980 per capita emissions in the U.S. have fallen by 20%, while they have more than quintupled in China.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 10 Biggest Polluters on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    Below are the Top 10 emitters of carbon dioxide from 2018, along with the global share and the change each country has experienced since the 2005 Kyoto Protocol.

China (up 55%}
    India {up 106%}
    Russia
    Japan
    Germany
    Iran
    Canada
    Saudi Arabia

Of the Top 3 emitters, China and India have both experienced massive increases since 2005. The U.S. has experienced double-digit declines, as have Germany and Japan.

Large changes in coal consumption are the primary driver behind most of the countries mentioned above. China and India have greatly expanded their usage of coal, while the U.S. and Germany have seen sharp declines in coal consumption.

A key driver in the U.S. and Germany was legislation aimed at limiting carbon dioxide emissions. This helped spur rapid growth in renewable energy usage in both countries, which helped lower demand for coal.

But in the U.S., an even larger driver in reducing coal consumption was the shale gas boom, which created enormous supplies of cheap natural gas. Over the past decade, consumption of renewable power in the U.S. rose by 349 terawatt-hours (TWh). Over that same span, power from natural gas increased by 696 TWh — nearly double the renewable energy contribution.

The U.S., in fact has reduced carbon dioxide emissions by more than any other country @Beanz since the Kyoto Protocol, while China has increased emissions by more than any other country.

It should be noted that the U.S. is first among countries when it comes to responsibility for historical carbon dioxide emitted into the atmosphere. However, given China’s current emissions and the trends, they will pass the U.S. in the overall CO2 contribution to the atmosphere in a little more than a decade.

It also remains true that China’s per capita carbon dioxide emissions are much lower than those in the U.S. @walrus In 2018, annual emissions in the U.S. stood at 16 metric tons per person, while those in China were 8 metric tons per person. However, since 1980 per capita emissions in the U.S. have fallen by 20%, while they have more than quintupled in China.

Stop fucking @ mentioning me. Pretty simple thing to do. Not interested in your attention seeking bullshit.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

China (up 55%}
    India {up 106%}
    Russia
    Japan
    Germany
    Iran
    Canada
    Saudi Arabia

Stop fucking @ mentioning me. Pretty simple thing to do. Not interested in your attention seeking bullshit.
    Ok @Beanz

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

China (up 55%}
    India {up 106%}
    Russia
    Japan
    Germany
    Iran
    Canada
    Saudi Arabia

Ok @Beanz
    I agree with @Beanz I’m getting tired of getting @ by the fat French guy myself

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt coal burning is an issue. I would rather they used nuclear. Not so much because of global warming, but the cleanliness of the air. China for the same reason. Nuclear is the most effective way of producing energy.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    No doubt coal burning is an issue. I would rather they used nuclear. Not so much because of global warming, but the cleanliness of the air. China for the same reason. Nuclear is the most effective way of producing energy.
    You were right about the air pollution here. It seems to be drifting over from China

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You were right about the air pollution here. It seems to be drifting over from China
    Why don't you both meet up? In the same country and you have so much in common.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The great climate change activist has to fly sailing crews all over the world so she can stunt using a sailing yacht for international travel. She could have flown coach and saved a lot of carbon and time.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to admit, she has changed my outlook on things. I am now a staunch supporter of abortion.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So her "rights" should trample the rights of people needing jobs, warm homes, reliable vehicles, and other things oil and gas is used for?

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The great climate change activist has to fly sailing crews all over the world so she can stunt using a sailing yacht for international travel. She could have flown coach and saved a lot of carbon and time.

Brock answer the question. Why don't you and Gandalf meet up? You are both in South Korea and you both have the same 19th Century vomit inducing lame views. So why not make the most of the opportunity?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

was Lewis Hamilton number 11 ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hardly eat non-veg

Canned sardines once a week

El Kabong Guest

Brock answer the question. Why don't you and Gandalf meet up? You are both in South Korea and you both have the same 19th Century vomit inducing lame views. So why not make the most of the opportunity?
    What views of theirs are "19th Century"? I'm just curious, I know you won't actually answer the question and I understand why, but I'm asking nevertheless.

Thread Information