Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think of Commey’s competition?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What do you think of Commey’s competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    There are 3 big reasons I'm very much looking forward to Lopez-Commey.

1. IMO, it should be a hell of a fight. Two excellent fighters. Should be an action-packed fight.

2. It's not on DAZN.

3. It's on ESPN.

Ok... I realize #2 can be lumped in with #3. I'm just excited I should be able to watch what should be a very good fight. I personally favor Lopez to come out on top.

The winner should hopefully get a Lomachenko fight..... but with Loma being a (cough, gag) "Franchise Champion" and all....... who the hell knows what'll happen to those possibilities.
    I think if Commey wins they try to sell the public that Commey/Loma is for “Undisputed”, if Lopez wins I just can’t see them sacrificing such a good young fighter. Possibly ruining a good earner.

Can we please just start calling franchise championships what they are, protection championships? It’s both insulting as it should be and factually correct.
    I'm interested to know who you would have at #1 and #2 at 135, hypothetically does the winner of this fight become #2 for you?
    By default yes, there’s no getting around Mikey Garcia leaving the division because TR refused to negotiate, refused to even talk. I don’t think either Commey/Lopez is the 2nd best fighter, or 3rd. But ranking, sure, they would earn the ranking.

Number 1 and 2 at lightweight really are Loma and Garcia. Just, one team refused so Mikey left. On talent Tank is probably next, hell, he might even be the most talented with that speed and power. But until Tank finally mans up we don’t really know how good he is. But on a guess, I think he would smash either Commey or Lopez.

The division has many questions, where is Haney? To act like one guy has answered all the questions with so many of the top guys having not had their chance to make their claim would be a tragedy.

(Edit-don’t mean you imply you are acting in any way, I said acting in regards to an undisputed claim)
    Thanks, Mikey hasn't fought at 135 in almost 18 months, so I'd have to take him out of the lightweight rankings. If a sanctioning body still recognised him (like the example with Thurman, who held onto his belt while inactive for near 2 years), then I would consider having him in. He has just made a deal with DAZN but I doubt he returns to lightweight.

So would a fight between Loma (who I assume is your #1). I agree we shouldn't rank Davis at 135 until he fights at the weight and he probably won't have done as much as Loma or the Lopez/ Commey winner to overtake. So would you consider a fight between Loma and the Lopez/ Commey winner as lineal?

Haney is injured, as far as I heard and Fortuna vs Campbel was going to be for the interim.

Haney is only just ahead of Tank for me, in regards to divisional work. Fortuna was going to be his 1st big test, so he still has some work to do himself. Could it be argued that a Gamboa win for Tank, with his talent and record, would be enough for him to be rated ahead of Haney?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My concern comes to fruition, he looked like he didn’t belong at the level

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. IMO, it should be a hell of a fight. Two excellent fighters. Should be an action-packed fight.

2. It's not on DAZN.

3. It's on ESPN.

Ok... I realize #2 can be lumped in with #3. I'm just excited I should be able to watch what should be a very good fight. I personally favor Lopez to come out on top.

The winner should hopefully get a Lomachenko fight..... but with Loma being a (cough, gag) "Franchise Champion" and all....... who the hell knows what'll happen to those possibilities.
    I think if Commey wins they try to sell the public that Commey/Loma is for “Undisputed”, if Lopez wins I just can’t see them sacrificing such a good young fighter. Possibly ruining a good earner.

Can we please just start calling franchise championships what they are, protection championships? It’s both insulting as it should be and factually correct.
    I'm interested to know who you would have at #1 and #2 at 135, hypothetically does the winner of this fight become #2 for you?
    By default yes, there’s no getting around Mikey Garcia leaving the division because TR refused to negotiate, refused to even talk. I don’t think either Commey/Lopez is the 2nd best fighter, or 3rd. But ranking, sure, they would earn the ranking.

Number 1 and 2 at lightweight really are Loma and Garcia. Just, one team refused so Mikey left. On talent Tank is probably next, hell, he might even be the most talented with that speed and power. But until Tank finally mans up we don’t really know how good he is. But on a guess, I think he would smash either Commey or Lopez.

The division has many questions, where is Haney? To act like one guy has answered all the questions with so many of the top guys having not had their chance to make their claim would be a tragedy.

(Edit-don’t mean you imply you are acting in any way, I said acting in regards to an undisputed claim)
    Thanks, Mikey hasn't fought at 135 in almost 18 months, so I'd have to take him out of the lightweight rankings. If a sanctioning body still recognised him (like the example with Thurman, who held onto his belt while inactive for near 2 years), then I would consider having him in. He has just made a deal with DAZN but I doubt he returns to lightweight.

So would a fight between Loma (who I assume is your #1). I agree we shouldn't rank Davis at 135 until he fights at the weight and he probably won't have done as much as Loma or the Lopez/ Commey winner to overtake. So would you consider a fight between Loma and the Lopez/ Commey winner as lineal?

Haney is injured, as far as I heard and Fortuna vs Campbel was going to be for the interim.

Haney is only just ahead of Tank for me, in regards to divisional work. Fortuna was going to be his 1st big test, so he still has some work to do himself. Could it be argued that a Gamboa win for Tank, with his talent and record, would be enough for him to be rated ahead of Haney?
    Lineal, sure, undisputed, far from. Again, rankings are far different from ability. We just watched Commey freeze on every feint Lopez made. He wasn’t on the level. That’s my point, we can’t have an undisputed guy who hasn’t fought the best guys. Without a doubt Loma is ranked on top, but he needs the fights that prove himself. Linares has been stopped by 5 different men, Tank made Pedraza look as bad as Lopez made Commey look, Campbell hasn’t done anything, Crolla I don’t think I need to even say. Loma is an absolute machine, he needs to fight the talented fighters around him. Lopez will be a start if they choose to sacrifice him to Loma. But just a start for a guy as good as Loma, he should clean house, he’s that good

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2. It's not on DAZN.

3. It's on ESPN.

Lineal, sure, undisputed, far from. Again, rankings are far different from ability. We just watched Commey freeze on every feint Lopez made. He wasn’t on the level. That’s my point, we can’t have an undisputed guy who hasn’t fought the best guys. Without a doubt Loma is ranked on top, but he needs the fights that prove himself. Linares has been stopped by 5 different men, Tank made Pedraza look as bad as Lopez made Commey look, Campbell hasn’t done anything, Crolla I don’t think I need to even say. Loma is an absolute machine, he needs to fight the talented fighters around him. Lopez will be a start if they choose to sacrifice him to Loma. But just a start for a guy as good as Loma, he should clean house, he’s that good
    I think we basically agree. Commey is world level, Lopez is just better. I think most had this roughly 50/50 heading in.

I don't really recognise champions or lineal these days, I just prefer to rank fighters in a division based on their records (similar to yourself I assume). I feel undisputed is something that is near impossible to achieve. Their will always be another challenge, obviously if a fighter cleaned out a division but that is unlikely these days with weight changes.

I would really enjoy Loma/ Lopez.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think you agree, because it doesn't sound like Ron feels Commey is "world level." No big deal... as we all have our judging criteria.

I just don't think you both agree on Commey.

I think Commey's "world level." He just got "leveled" by a special talent.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think you agree, because it doesn't sound like Ron feels Commey is "world level." No big deal... as we all have our judging criteria.

I just don't think you both agree on Commey.

I think Commey's "world level." He just got "leveled" by a special talent.
    Sorry that should have been on a different line. I was meaning we agree on ranking opposition over ability and that Loma needs to fight the top of the division. I did say basically. Yea I think Commey is world level, Ron probably disagrees. Loses happen in the sport. It's not like he got blown out by a journeyman.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lopez arrives in fashion. no one has treated commey like that. lopez has the style and power to make a loma fight compelling
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Thread Information