Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Andy Ruiz's career over? (Physically AND mentally)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Andy Ruiz's career over? (Physically AND mentally)

Out of the tens of thousands of trained professionals only the one you quoted is the valid one. Got it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's why you're nuts.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are a nutter, but it is lovely. Bless.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    You got personal first. And what sources did you provide? You're nuts. This was a good thread, too, until you got preachy and pontificating.
    Erm go back and read and I referenced a trained Professional who has researched and written on the topic of mental health. I am nuts? Yeah, says the man that pretends he is in different countries, lies about his profession, and if he is who people say he is loves sordid poetry involving kids and has a fetish for teachers who sleep with students, but yeah, I am nuts. You need to work on the OCD.
    Huh? How mature. Stop derailing this excellent Andy Ruiz thread.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I wonder if he will go the way of Buster Douglas/Lamon Brewster/Jesse Furguson or Ray Mercer/Riddick Bowe/Roberto Duran. Douglas/Brewster/Furguson won their big fights, ate themselves out of shape losing rematches, and never ascended to that level again. Mercer/Bowe/Duran made a career out of fluctuating between coming to fight in great shape and being grossly out of shape and mailing in their training. Now that I think about it, James Toney fits into that camp as well.

What will hurt Ruiz is that now he will be avoided and worse- fans won’t be behind him anymore. If he comes back on great shape and loses a good fight, he can recover with the fans (if he even loses anything). The way he came in, he has zero sympathy.
    Zero sympathy, and zero credibility. Eddie Mustafa Muhammad did something similar I believe.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So true Gandalf. But do you know what prefigures hard work and dedication and discipline? A person's mental health which they have developed from their childhood. If the state of their mental health is such that they just cannot get it together cognitively or emotionally, THEN THERE WILL NOT BE A DAMN BIT OF HARD WORK OR DISCIPLINE OR DEDICATION -- at least not enough to make much of a difference.
    See, you brought all this childhood trauma stuff up in a thread about Andy Ruiz.

I happened to agree with you that it might be a factor, but just disagreed that a bad childhood means you must ruin a career. In some cases yes, in other cases not so much.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You guys need to stop writing fighters off after losses.

Buster has ballooned in weight throughout his career, he only has to lose 15lb of blubber to be Joshua 1 weight. I can sell his comeback let alone the brains he has behind him (Al Haymon).

Buster-vs-Wilder is a great stylistic matchup. Exciting fight. Ruiz showed a near granite chin against Joshua, and he sure as shit is the superior natural boxer to Wilder. Wilder can't dance, he can't adapt, so can he land his sniper righthand before Ruiz punches holes in him up close? Great fight?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So true Gandalf. But do you know what prefigures hard work and dedication and discipline? A person's mental health which they have developed from their childhood. If the state of their mental health is such that they just cannot get it together cognitively or emotionally, THEN THERE WILL NOT BE A DAMN BIT OF HARD WORK OR DISCIPLINE OR DEDICATION -- at least not enough to make much of a difference.
    See, you brought all this childhood trauma stuff up in a thread about Andy Ruiz.

I happened to agree with you that it might be a factor, but just disagreed that a bad childhood means you must ruin a career. In some cases yes, in other cases not so much.
    Read it again, it doesn’t say that a bad childhood means you must ruin a career.

But the whole thread is interesting. People’s opinions change so much from fight to fight. Andy is who he was a month ago. A month ago he was who he was in May. He can buckle down and get right back top 10 or he can eat his way to early retirement, we’ll see.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Read it again, it doesn’t say that a bad childhood means you must ruin a career.

But the whole thread is interesting. People’s opinions change so much from fight to fight. Andy is who he was a month ago. A month ago he was who he was in May. He can buckle down and get right back top 10 or he can eat his way to early retirement, we’ll see.
    @Ron Swanson thank you man. You are right it doesn't say that at all. This guy likes to put words in people's mouths. Thinks he has all the answers. At 38 years old FFS.

and thanks for saying it's an interesting thread. I thought so too 😁. I'm hoping that Andy makes a big effort.

Imagine if Andy could come into the ring at 250 lb. I think he might be unstoppable. Definitely an iron chin even at 295 lbs hahaha and the once or twice that he hit Joshua in the rematch you could see that Joshua was really shaking up for a moment

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He'll be back because the heavyweight division is thin as far as challengers go. Also if he blew threw his money that fast, it shouldn't take him long to run out completely and he'll be back for more. He'll be the next stiverne, sam peter or something... champ turned on the bubble guy. I dont understand who guys like this get handed this kind of upturn in life and not see it as a sign to get their Sh*t together. 5 seconds later.... "will this Rolls fit through a drive thru? cuz if not... i'm not buying it..."
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hahaha J Undisputed nails it! ✌️👍

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Physically, inside sources are saying that he has already ballooned over 310 lb and that he came into the ring at close to 295 lb
    Training for 12 weeks and weighing in at 283.7 lb makes one Wonder what he weighed before he started training!

Mentally, it must not be very good for one's self esteem to realize you have just lost four championship belts that you swore to God you would never let go of over your dead body, all due to suddenly waking up in silk pajamas and not wanting to run 3 miles a day. If you could not get motivated to prove that the first fight was not a fluke then how can you get motivated after this fiasco?

I suspect that this was the end of "lash in the pan" Andy Ruiz Jr.

In addition to all of that you have to ask yourself what promoter will actually bother with this guy anymore? If that is all the respect that he can show himself and the fans and the promoters and the sport of boxing itself then why should anybody ever bother again to promote one of his fights? If he thought it was okay to come into the ring close to 295 pounds TO TRY TO RETAIN HIS TITLES, then will he think it is okay to come into the ring at 325 lb FOR AN ORDINARY NON-TITLE FIGHT

You really do have to wonder about that question.

Stick a fork in it Andy (I'm sure you literally already have!). 🍔🌮🍕🍟🍰🍗🥩🥞🥪
    Another great fighter, terrible champion. Too often these guys eat and party when they win the title and the fame. No one stays hungry. Gatta give it to Wilder, he has not gotten too overboard even though he dumped his first baby momma and married a hollywood glamour puss. Typical of a street negro but at least he trains to win his fight and does so like a champion.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder would EAT Ruiz and AJ in the same night. Great post there @ykdadamaja

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The ONLY time you will see Ruiz’s name in the same sentence as Roberto Duran’s

😀

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I wonder if he will go the way of Buster Douglas/Lamon Brewster/Jesse Furguson or Ray Mercer/Riddick Bowe/Roberto Duran. Douglas/Brewster/Furguson won their big fights, ate themselves out of shape losing rematches, and never ascended to that level again. Mercer/Bowe/Duran made a career out of fluctuating between coming to fight in great shape and being grossly out of shape and mailing in their training. Now that I think about it, James Toney fits into that camp as well.

What will hurt Ruiz is that now he will be avoided and worse- fans won’t be behind him anymore. If he comes back on great shape and loses a good fight, he can recover with the fans (if he even loses anything). The way he came in, he has zero sympathy.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha good point hey there is one similarity though and that is that Roberto Duran used to like to gain 120 lb in between fights. he said his favorite food was ice-cream and he would literally eat gallons of the stuff in between fights yet somehow he would train and lose that 100 pounds for each fight. You have to admit actually that the no mas fight was quite a lot like that last fight with AJ and Louise

Thread Information