Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is Andy Ruiz's career over? (Physically AND mentally)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Andy Ruiz's career over? (Physically AND mentally)

Of course it's not over. How long has it been since another American heavyweight has scored such a top tier significant win? If anything Ruiz may be handicapped by the ol risk-reward scenario now. But he's pulled the wool over many now because they point to the weight being his anchor..for sure but not entirely.. when in fact he came in the first fight at yet another career high of 268 if I'm not mistaken. Some contender will want that scalp and connection to 'one up' in relation to AJ and sleep on Andy being still very skilled and capable and that's all it takes to come back on. Douglas will go down as a trivia question but even he scrapped back after near death and was directly in the Roy Jones Jr heavyweight debut sweepstakes before his Pop came in and changed minds. It's the heavyweight division. If you made history, can take damage, have willing promotion and still tie your own boots you've got a lifetime position.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone who comes into a championship heavyweight fight in the conditions Ruiz did...... not much you can say to defend that.

That it caught him by surprise? Please. He may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but surely he's heard of Buster Douglas. He disrespected the sport and its fans. He may not be done... but fat chance (pardon the pun) I'll be rooting for his blubbery ass any time soon.

He had his moment in the sun, and who knows.... maybe that's all he needed/wanted. One thing for sure. He'll never have to pay for another all-you-can-eat taco fest for the rest of his rotund life.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tito, couldn't resist 🌮🌮🌮 (ahem!...).....

So yyyyyyyeah...... Andy Pandy Jack-a-Dandy may get himself into shape (250?? Even then....). May get motivated again ($25 million in the bank now..??). Hmmm....

I can see him hiring a personal trainer/weight loss guru, getting down to 240 (lean n mean hahaha) and making a bit of a comeback in summer 2020..... Against whom tho, I couldn't say. Maybe Povetkin? Cuz he better hit paydirt fast in his comeback, or else he'll just be written off should he lose or just squeak by in a snoozer.

Who would you, were you his trainer, put him in with for his next 2 fights?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I was his trainer, first thing I'd do is we'd get to a mutual understanding. I would not be subjected to another embarrassment of that magnitude again. "We're all professionals here... and if you're going to waste my time by not taking training seriously and showing up like a bloated whale and zero game plan.... I've got other fighters I can go train." Andy Douglas Ruiz needs some psychological slapping around right about now.

Once we got that straight, then I'd go about the business of finding his next opponents.

Ruiz's skills are still there. The fast hands... the power in both hands... the ability to throw multiple punches with power from different angles. His biggest weakness is between the ears... and the other one is right between his nose and his chin.

He can get right back on the horse, as long as opponents will have him. Like someone said... Ruiz is now in "high-risk, low-reward" territory, at least for now. He looked so miserable in his rematch, he deserves to be taken back a few pegs. Let him earn his way back up the ladder. So as his trainer I'd try to get him fights against the top contenders (after we had our psychological slapping around talk)..... but of course if I was involved in boxing rankings, I'd drop Ruiz down a few notches and have him fight a couple of scrubs first... as punishment.

Thread Information