Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Andy Ruiz's career over? (Physically AND mentally)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Andy Ruiz's career over? (Physically AND mentally)

Physically, inside sources are saying that he has already ballooned over 310 lb and that he came into the ring at close to 295 lb
    Training for 12 weeks and weighing in at 283.7 lb makes one Wonder what he weighed before he started training!

Mentally, it must not be very good for one's self esteem to realize you have just lost four championship belts that you swore to God you would never let go of over your dead body, all due to suddenly waking up in silk pajamas and not wanting to run 3 miles a day. If you could not get motivated to prove that the first fight was not a fluke then how can you get motivated after this fiasco?

I suspect that this was the end of "lash in the pan" Andy Ruiz Jr.

In addition to all of that you have to ask yourself what promoter will actually bother with this guy anymore? If that is all the respect that he can show himself and the fans and the promoters and the sport of boxing itself then why should anybody ever bother again to promote one of his fights? If he thought it was okay to come into the ring close to 295 pounds TO TRY TO RETAIN HIS TITLES, then will he think it is okay to come into the ring at 325 lb FOR AN ORDINARY NON-TITLE FIGHT

You really do have to wonder about that question.

Stick a fork in it Andy (I'm sure you literally already have!). ๐Ÿ”๐ŸŒฎ๐Ÿ•๐ŸŸ๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿ—๐Ÿฅฉ๐Ÿฅž๐Ÿฅช

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Andy Ruiz's career over? (Physically AND mentally)

Ruiz had his moment of fame but blew it when he became champ just like Leon Spinks and Buster Douglas did. Yes he made a lot of money but he really let himself down. He will try and get back into the heavyweight picture but will never become champion again. He will regret that for the rest of his life.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes very well said Master. I don't think the full impact of how he cheated himself more than he cheated anyone else has hit him yet. When it does hit him I wonder if he can handle that psychologically. Even in the very last round I was telling myself HE MUST KNOW HE LOST EVERY ROUND PRETTY MUCH. So why the hell doesn't he just risk being knocked out in the 12th round and just let his hands go and tried to throw 80 punches or so? Better to go out on your shield, and lose your belts well fighting with valor and desperation, than to lose your belts LUMBERING FORWARD AT 2 MILES PER HOUR AND THROWING, WHAT, DID HE EVEN THROW 20 PUNCHES PER ROUND?

El Kabong Guest

Yes and no

Yes: He's never going to win a meaningful title ever again ever. Why? Because people now know (though they should have known before) what he does and AJ has put out the blueprint to basically treat him like David Tua.

No: He's still a relatively young fighter, he's got power, he's a good boxer for his height and weight, and he's a very good FIGHTER and those things mean he beats most competition who don't have true boxing skills. But it also means he gets paid more than a few more times, maybe one more giant one vs AJ and a few more after that as an acid test for the division.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    Yes very well said Master. I don't think the full impact of how he cheated himself more than he cheated anyone else has hit him yet. When it does hit him I wonder if he can handle that psychologically. Even in the very last round I was telling myself HE MUST KNOW HE LOST EVERY ROUND PRETTY MUCH. So why the hell doesn't he just risk being knocked out in the 12th round and just let his hands go and tried to throw 80 punches or so? Better to go out on your shield, and lose your belts well fighting with valor and desperation, than to lose your belts LUMBERING FORWARD AT 2 MILES PER HOUR AND THROWING, WHAT, DID HE EVEN THROW 20 PUNCHES PER ROUND?
    Ruuz couldn't close the gap to let his hands go. He was that heavy. Just a frustrated beached whale getting frustrated saying 'Come here and let me hit you'. He is one of those lottery winners that spends it all on helicopters and then ends up back as a cleaner within a year. There are levels in life and Ruiz kind of proves that life is about hierarchies and that the truly successful are those who put the genuine work in.

Higgins was a great snooker player, but Steve Davis will always have the greater record. You can apply it to so many things and that is why in many cases people are more successful than others. Skill, hard work and a little dash of luck. Minus those things and you go nowhere.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So true Gandalf. But do you know what prefigures hard work and dedication and discipline? A person's mental health which they have developed from their childhood. If the state of their mental health is such that they just cannot get it together cognitively or emotionally, THEN THERE WILL NOT BE A DAMN BIT OF HARD WORK OR DISCIPLINE OR DEDICATION -- at least not enough to make much of a difference.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wonder if he will go the way of Buster Douglas/Lamon Brewster/Jesse Furguson or Ray Mercer/Riddick Bowe/Roberto Duran. Douglas/Brewster/Furguson won their big fights, ate themselves out of shape losing rematches, and never ascended to that level again. Mercer/Bowe/Duran made a career out of fluctuating between coming to fight in great shape and being grossly out of shape and mailing in their training. Now that I think about it, James Toney fits into that camp as well.

What will hurt Ruiz is that now he will be avoided and worse- fans wonโ€™t be behind him anymore. If he comes back on great shape and loses a good fight, he can recover with the fans (if he even loses anything). The way he came in, he has zero sympathy.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only for some, there are many people who overcame appalling childhoods. Charles Dickens springs readily to mind as does Oprah Winfrey. I am sure their scars bothered them, but it didn't hold them back.

Even mental illness is something that can be overcome. BPD is the mother of mental traumas and 75% of patients make big improvements in a year. All success is about discipline and hardwork and that includes overcoming childhood adversity.

Did Ruiz have a bad childhood or something? An inability to control weight is usually a sign of something deeper and to do it now? It suggests he has skill, some luck, but the hard work isn't quite enough.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz will get another high level fight or 2. Will he win and be committed is another question. I think there are some fun fights he can be involved in. But it really does depend on his desire. Just following his opponent around and not letting his hands go (as he did with Parker) will generate the same results. I would like to see him against Kownacki, but there arre manny fights he can be competitive in, if he can focus and get down to business.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think a change of team is needed too. It was okay with Calzaghe as Enzo was tough, but it seems Ruiz had it all his own way. I would go with Roach who knows what to do with aggressive fightere. Get the weight down and get those legs moving. The handspeed is great but you need a target cornered first.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

another big cheque in ruiz's bank account isn't going to make it any easy for him to train properly. once he blows through his money he'll be back, in whatever shape is possible for a top up
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guarantee you see Andy Ruiz at 400 pounds by this time next year already retired with an Andy Ruiz Mexican buffet restaurant chain in the Los Angeles area. Who knows even the Andy Ruiz mean lean fat grilling machine

and Gandalf it's nice to be positive and optimistic but neuroscientist have for decades proven that any damage mentally or emotionally or spiritually which is done before the age of five is pretty much irreversible. I don't know about that 75% statistic you threw out there but I highly doubt it. People are like boxers some people get knocked out by a one shot to the jaw and then you have these ironjaw people like Mike Tyson or Muhammad Ali who you just cannot knock out. it's apples and oranges my friend. Some people fold and buccal artery motional abuse and neglect while other people can like you said make a recovery with hard work. It depends on the individual it is a case-by-case basis but it is a given scientific fact that until about the age of 4 and 1/2 or 5 years old that over 90% of the neural connections at the synaptic level have already been concretized. Due to experiences of trauma

Scientific facts. I'm not saying to not give it a try of course everyone should give it a try good but we cannot just say that so and so did not try hard enough because we do not know his psychiatric inner workings and he may or she may not even know herself or himself.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He can come again but it's up to him.

He's a good fighter with very fast hands and a hell of a chin. Get in shape and he can have 3 or 4 big pay days. I think the wilder or fury winner may want him too.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And win a couple and look good and lose 30 lbs (from Saturdays weight) then Joshua can't ignore the rubber match.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    Guarantee you see Andy Ruiz at 400 pounds by this time next year already retired with an Andy Ruiz Mexican buffet restaurant chain in the Los Angeles area. Who knows even the Andy Ruiz mean lean fat grilling machine

and Gandalf it's nice to be positive and optimistic but neuroscientist have for decades proven that any damage mentally or emotionally or spiritually which is done before the age of five is pretty much irreversible. I don't know about that 75% statistic you threw out there but I highly doubt it. People are like boxers some people get knocked out by a one shot to the jaw and then you have these ironjaw people like Mike Tyson or Muhammad Ali who you just cannot knock out. it's apples and oranges my friend. Some people fold and buccal artery motional abuse and neglect while other people can like you said make a recovery with hard work. It depends on the individual it is a case-by-case basis but it is a given scientific fact that until about the age of 4 and 1/2 or 5 years old that over 90% of the neural connections at the synaptic level have already been concretized. Due to experiences of trauma

Scientific facts. I'm not saying to not give it a try of course everyone should give it a try good but we cannot just say that so and so did not try hard enough because we do not know his psychiatric inner workings and he may or she may not even know herself or himself.
    And where did this fact come from? I was paraphrasing from Jerold Kreisman an expert in the field who has researched extensively. Trauma is something that can be worked on and in two years more than 90% of cases show significant improvement with many apparently able to live relatively normal lives. It is about giving people the tools to cope. The brain will produce different levels of chemicals from a relatively young age, but strategies and tools can alleviate that and the brain can improve for most. It is often about hard work and desire to improve and overcome. There was a poster called Brock who claimed to have OCD, but it is a treatable condition and with effort never need be a factor.

Thread Information