Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bobcat at my front door

Odd thing. I wish I had been able to take a pic but I was upstairs in my home coming down steps which lead to our front door and main floor. I saw something sitting on the front steps. We are in the middle of an ice storm and have about .5 inches of solid ice on the ground I thought my wife let our cat out and it was begging to come in. I took a few steps and noticed it was more dog sized so I lasered in and saw it was a wild bob cat. We locked eyes I could actually see in his eyes he is miserable with the ice coming down and 20 degree temp, although maybe I’m reading too much into that. I yelled for my wife to come see his ears perked up and he sauntered off. I tried going through the house to get a pic but in each room I just kept catching his ass end going by. I’d like to put some food out for him but I know he will take that as a sign this is a good place to eat so I fear he will eat my cat one day. This is probably my fourth encounter with bobcats usually they are in pairs which I found odd but apparently it’s part of their behavior. I love these encounters with wildlife I wish I could do something for him in this storm but it’s probably not his first. Thanks I’ll keep you updated.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bobcat at my front door

Does your big ballless ? cat still roam outside. Bobcat fella probably picked up on some pheromones and checking out the hood. Has to be pretty cool and hard tempted not to throw it a steak but no no and no on that. Sucks really the more we build more they come. You're lucky, I once drove a Bobcat through a sliding patio window but nothing like a real bobcat up close . I'd have to resist yelling here kitty kitty being honest . Try setting up a motion camera yeh?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Does your big ballless ? cat still roam outside. Bobcat fella probably picked up on some pheromones and checking out the hood. Has to be pretty cool and hard tempted not to throw it a steak but no no and no on that. Sucks really the more we build more they come. You're lucky, I once drove a Bobcat through a sliding patio window but nothing like a real bobcat up close . I'd have to resist yelling here kitty kitty being honest . Try setting up a motion camera yeh?
    My neighbors had one and said they caught a few of them on film. Only thing I can think is we have a shitload of wild rabbits around here. Probably a good source of food. I really wanted to open the door see if I could get close but what then, I’m sure he wouldn’t be happy with a snuggle. I notice some get pretty big but some are very similar in size to house cats but usually more stocky and as soon as they turn around with that tail you know what they are.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    My neighbors had one and said they caught a few of them on film. Only thing I can think is we have a shitload of wild rabbits around here. Probably a good source of food. I really wanted to open the door see if I could get close but what then, I’m sure he wouldn’t be happy with a snuggle. I notice some get pretty big but some are very similar in size to house cats but usually more stocky and as soon as they turn around with that tail you know what they are.
    Not sure how pack they are but most likely not alone. Think tail hence the name gives them away but fat paws too. Probably just looking for some wabbits to go hunker down, or a mate. Hey better than roaming Coyotes. Those feckers will walk right up and steal your small dag.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Not sure how pack they are but most likely not alone. Think tail hence the name gives them away but fat paws too. Probably just looking for some wabbits to go hunker down, or a mate. Hey better than roaming Coyotes. Those feckers will walk right up and steal your small dag.
    We got coyotes in the area. I hear them calling each other. After a snowfall I look around my yard and it looks like an African game reserve trail. I wish I knew the paw and hoofs better but cats are easy as they put back feet exactly where front foot stepped, it’s very impressive walking

El Kabong Guest

Nature is an awesome thing. Here's a link to help you identify tracks https://static.squarespace.com/stati...umaIDGuide.pdf

...and also if there are any killed animals (wildlife or domestic...hopefully never yours of course) it'll help ID the perpetrator as cats and dogs have different modus opperendi when it comes to hunting and eating their prey.

Also be wary of owls with your cat. Great Horned Owls can and will hunt cats.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Nature is an awesome thing. Here's a link to help you identify tracks https://static.squarespace.com/stati...umaIDGuide.pdf

...and also if there are any killed animals (wildlife or domestic...hopefully never yours of course) it'll help ID the perpetrator as cats and dogs have different modus opperendi when it comes to hunting and eating their prey.

Also be wary of owls with your cat. Great Horned Owls can and will hunt cats.
    My area is loaded with hawks. They are such beautiful creatures and I see some 5 foot in wing span. We actually have got warnings in the newspaper that people are losing pets to these hawks. It seems mostly kittens and puppies, I think they judge full grown cats as a little too big but I’m sure there are a few out there who would give it a try. My cat came home one day with a nasty wound. It didn’t bother her much but I brought her to the vet and the vet said it was an “attack” wound meaning my cat was going forward on the attack.

These bobcats do make me wonder they are out in the day quite frequently so they obviously hunt day and night although they do like to playfight with each other. In the back of my mind I think maybe the bobcats wouldn’t kill a domestic cat due to the family relations but I know I’m bullshitting myself.

El Kabong Guest

Hawks will grab pets, yeah that'll happen. Anything over 10 pounds ought to be safe from hawks though...at least that's how it is down my way. Granted I doubt many things would mess with my dog...even though he's a pushover and a bit of a wuss, I think if he really got his hackles up he'd fuck something up.

If you get a chance you should put out a salt lick or some deer corn and a trail cam, you'd see a lot of cool stuff.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Hawks will grab pets, yeah that'll happen. Anything over 10 pounds ought to be safe from hawks though...at least that's how it is down my way. Granted I doubt many things would mess with my dog...even though he's a pushover and a bit of a wuss, I think if he really got his hackles up he'd fuck something up.

If you get a chance you should put out a salt lick or some deer corn and a trail cam, you'd see a lot of cool stuff.
    game trail is a good idea as the amount of tracks in the snow did surprise me. I’m sure it’s just bobcats, coons and dear but I do want to know how close the coyotes are getting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Skunks can be a nuisance

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    Skunks can be a nuisance
    Now that you bring up skunks I haven’t seen any of them. Lot of snakes though, my wife is scared to death of them. I tell her in our area we have very few venomous snakes but she doesn’t seem to believe me.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I drove past a pretty cat lay dead in the road yesterday. Poor little thing. Then later drove past a dog that was half dog half Lector victim. I hate seeing them dead like that.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha, I warned you about this. That was only the prototype. Biohacked cat 2.0 will be waiting under your car if all goes to plan.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I drove past a pretty cat lay dead in the road yesterday. Poor little thing. Then later drove past a dog that was half dog half Lector victim. I hate seeing them dead like that.
    Yeah I hate seeing roadkill regardless of the animal. Just a sad way to go really.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't let him in .....

Attached Images
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information