Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Homeless shelter

So I went to a local place. Well it’s about a 50 minute ride for me as I wanted to volunteer at a soup kitchen/homeless shelter for the holidays. This place, St. Vincent’s DePaul shelter, in a city near me, kind of a rough city asked if I wanted employment running part of their overflow shelter for a few months. Last night was my first night. I have to say it was pretty decent. We only got 10 guys upstairs out of a possible 16 but full downstairs which was about 30. We have an emergency weather declaration as it was 10 degrees last night so even if we got full I can’t turn anyone away, I can have them at least sit with me in the office to stay warm. We didn’t hit that point. Anyway I’m no stranger to this type of work but in the past I have found shelter for the homeless never have I worked specifically in a shelter.

I was afraid it would be boring it’s 8p to 8a but only 80% of the guys sleep so I do get to hang out with them an BS hear their stories and what not. I heard some hardcore shit, I had one dude who came in all fucked up and has actually assaulted people in the shelter in the past, I can’t legally turn him away as our governor declared an emergency due to the temperature so I let him in, he started his bullshit right away so I needed to decide to play good cop or bad cop, I went the good cop route he responded well, chilled out and stayed. His other option would have been to dry out at the police station overnight.

One of the dudes, a African American gentleman of about 50 has suffered four strokes and has a host of other medical issues which included me needing to pick up 150 pills he dropped out of a container when he took his evening meds. Anyway he was my only emergency. At about 4am I heard “help me help me” several times looked in and it was him. I jumped over two other sleeping dudes as I saw him struggling to get up and I’m thinking oh shit a stroke or something. I grabbed him an pulled him up to check him up and he said “ thanks Jim I pissed myself” of course me thinking the dude was having a medical emergency I didn’t grab any medical gloves first. So yeah that was my emergency during the evening. I think I got piss on my omega damnit.

Anyway it’s a good thing to do. I’d say probably 80% of the guys struggle with an addiction which is no surprise. A couple dudes weren’t actually homeless and just didn’t want to deal with some family issues but if you can lend a hand to a fellow man, especially this time of year it’s a good thing to do. It probably doesn’t make up for all the shitty things I’ve done but at least I can even the scorecard a little. And my omega is waterproof so a little piss never hurt anyone.
    If you can do anything to help out, spoon out soup on Christmas or donate clothes to your local shelter or even give a dollar to a food bank I think you should. And yes I’m getting paid I know so perhaps I sound like a hypocrite but last year I volunteered at a shelter this year I went to a different one to offer help and they told me they would rather have me work for them so my intent was good. Ok I’m rambling it was a long night didn’t sleep much I’ll now go to another thread and argue with tits of someone for more Yuletide cheer.
    Last edited by walrus; 12-19-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Homeless shelter

God bless you for that what you are doing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is eye opening stuff. Yes you will be dogged by a lot of silly things like picking up 150 pills and getting piss on you. God bless those people. There but by the grace of God go all of us.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amazing stuff Jim. 💪

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now that's what I call nitty gritty real life.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was some real good quality work you did there. Well done, you do have a heart.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    That was some real good quality work you did there. Well done, you do have a heart.
    Thanks master but I do this type of stuff anyway. I didn’t post it for praise or anything just thought it would be interesting to share and encourage people to do a little something. I really could have used a sweater to give to the gentleman who pissed on me but I dug through the donation bin and didn’t have one for him. I would have given him mine but he is 3XL and I’m only Large or XL depending on the make. I will bring some old jackets I have when I go back in. I’m on call but I don’t think I’m officially working again till next week

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    Hey fats do they have homeless shelters in France? How do you guys do it.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Isn't Paris a homeless shelter these days?

Good work Walrus, though I am a little jealous of the water sports with another man.

I have no idea where the homeless here are. You don't see many. I suppose it helps that booze is the only temptation and rent is cheap. You don't need to work hard to live poor. I think churches play their part as there are a lot of them here.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes plenty. They have 44 beds in one a block from my apt. Heroin addicts, schizophrenics, alcoholics, abject poor, penniless, etc. Last week I felt bad to do it cuz they were old and worn, but we (wife and I) donated about 6 pairs of men's and women's shoes and socks as well as about 5 really oversized sweatshirts, all purple!, I wish you would have told me you needed 3X for that black dude, I'd have gave it's to you. So yeah, pretty old shoes but definitely wearable, no holes in them or anything. My wife is going to make 20 pounds of mashed potatoes and bring it to that shelter this Sunday before Christmas. There is nobody there for these souls. Even a little bit can help. God bless you again B.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

Good work Walrus, though I am a little jealous of the water sports with another man.

I have no idea where the homeless here are. You don't see many. I suppose it helps that booze is the only temptation and rent is cheap. You don't need to work hard to live poor. I think churches play their part as there are a lot of them here.
    Ya miles I notice when I go to bejing or Shanghai you don’t see many homeless. Then I found the Chinese government gives them one way transportation out of the city and says good luck. I’m assuming 2nd best Korea is not like that but it’s good to hear it’s not a major issue around you. TBH the city in my state I’m working in I don’t know a lot about but it certainly has a violence and drug issue. It’s just not a city I have much reason to go to as I have New Haven (home of Yale) right near me. Driving through it, I saw several nice areas but of course the shelter is in the rough part of town.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes plenty. They have 44 beds in one a block from my apt. Heroin addicts, schizophrenics, alcoholics, abject poor, penniless, etc. Last week I felt bad to do it cuz they were old and worn, but we (wife and I) donated about 6 pairs of men's and women's shoes and socks as well as about 5 really oversized sweatshirts, all purple!, I wish you would have told me you needed 3X for that black dude, I'd have gave it's to you. So yeah, pretty old shoes but definitely wearable, no holes in them or anything. My wife is going to make 20 pounds of mashed potatoes and bring it to that shelter this Sunday before Christmas. There is nobody there for these souls. Even a little bit can help. God bless you again B.
    That’s cool fats shoes and socks are much needed. I worked with a female last night, very nice girl but she didn’t stfu for twelve hours. She is Puerto Rican and was talking about bringing in a big dish of that lovely Spanish rice and beans pan for the guys. Shit I’d make some chicken or something myself for them but I had to explain due to state regulations we can’t do that, it a health code thing. It’s a bit dumb, I think I made 30 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the guys, that and a bunch of unhealthy snack food was all we had but in the AM there is a lady down the street who turned her home into a place for the homeless to go during the day where she cooks for them let’s them hang out and get warm. She does it on her own, no funding from anyone it’s out of her own pocket. She is one of those evil Catholics heavily involved in the church. If that shelter gave your wife the OK to bring food in I’m sure the guys will love it. Very nice of you guys.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

Ya miles I notice when I go to bejing or Shanghai you don’t see many homeless. Then I found the Chinese government gives them one way transportation out of the city and says good luck. I’m assuming 2nd best Korea is not like that but it’s good to hear it’s not a major issue around you. TBH the city in my state I’m working in I don’t know a lot about but it certainly has a violence and drug issue. It’s just not a city I have much reason to go to as I have New Haven (home of Yale) right near me. Driving through it, I saw several nice areas but of course the shelter is in the rough part of town.
    I remember years ago you would see homeless around Seoul Station. They got booted when it was redeveloped and I doubt much help was given. I don't see Seoul these days, so cannot comment too much, but you do not see many homeless people generally. Back home they are everywhere and drug dealers will just walk up to you offering you stuff. It is probably connected. A chap I sat next to in primary school is in prison for crimes related to a junk habit. It is expensive and will lead to the streets. You cannot get a junk habit here. Can buy liters of soju for a few bucks though. I prefer not having drugs around. Kids can walk without needles on the ground and all of that. It is nicer for everyone.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lady said it's ok to cook and bring it. 20 ppunds (2 bags 10 lbs each) with just some salt and butter. Nothing fancy and easy to make and hot to warm them up inside.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good on ya Walrus and Frenchie Fats. Being homeless and hopeless is tough this time of year. Tough year round duh . Well done.

Thread Information