Thread: Dubois v Joyce - 28/20/20 - London

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Joyce vs Daniel Dubois - talks underway, promoter Frank Warren reveals

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    both fighters don't have an ounce of charisma
    Does not matter. This is going to be an exciting fight between 2 undefeated heavyweights who can punch.
    never said it affects the action in the ring

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Its a fight not a Charisma contest.
    Lennox was boring as fuck and went to the very top.
    If Dubois stops Joyce by KO then he's knocking on the door of a title shot.
    This is a brilliant fight that I can't wait for.
    It's a piss take it's PPV but I get it for free anyway 😁
    briiliant is exaggerated. it is a good fight. who said it was a charisma contest? just that neither had an ounce of it, that doesn't equal bad fight
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dubois v Joyce / Yarde v Arthur - 11/4/20 - O2 London

TYSON FURY PICKS DANIEL DUBOIS TO TOPPLE JOE JOYCE

https://www.ringtv.com/594058-tyson-...ple-joe-joyce/

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've got tickets (hope its goes ahead) and its clearly a quality fight. Honestly, no-one is saying its Ali v Frazier but really, come on, its intriguing and a good scrap. Don't put yourself in such rarefied atmosphere that you can't enjoy fights like this.

I bet you the type that praise this fight are the type that actually go to matches. The others just play fantasy boxing and can't enjoy the sport 9 times out of 10.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yarde v Arthur is a nice fight too 😉

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cant help but like Joyce. He gets a fuck load of stick from just about everywhere. Yep, any slower and he'd start going backwards. Not the greatest of technique either. But the fucker is an Olympic silver medalist, double commonwealth champion and European champion (I think?) Some top notch wins in the WBS and Ams. 10 fights as a pro and he's Commonwealth champion. Beaten Thomas, Jennings, Stiverne and Ustinov. Yeah pick the bones out of it and come up with any narrative you like as you can with anyone, but that's impressive stuff as far as I'm concerned. I wish I was as shit at something as Joyce is at boxing. I'd take that.

Dubois on the other hand is getting praise heaped on him from all corners. Just about everyone has him right up there as their one to watch, top prospect, whatever you want to call it. He's as dull as dishwater though and admittedly I don't have my finger on the boxing pulse these days (if I ever did) but there doesn't seem to be any star quality about him. Good fighter no doubt. Of course if he beats Joyce and goes on to be a contender at World level things may change, but if he loses, or starts to labour a bit up in class, I'm not sure the interest will remain.

I really want to like Yarde, I really do but he strikes me as all sizzle, and very little steak. If you were to put together a boxer he'd probably look like Anthony Yarde. Put together is apt for him as he looks like he's trying to be a couple of past fighters (no prizes for guessing who) rather than being Anthony Yarde. He nearly got the job done against Kovalev and I was up out of my seat like everyone else when he did. But he didnt, then Canelo goes in there and twats Kovalev out and suddenly Yarde's brave effort is put into perspective somewhat. I talk about identity too much, usually about the other Anthony but this one has the same problem (minus the millions and millions of pounds and multiple World titles). He needs to get busy being Anthony Yarde and not the other two. We've had the other two and they were great, we don't need any more.

I'm afraid I know nothing about Lyndon Arthur.

Dubois should beat Joyce. Joyce is hard as nails but he's so easy to hit it aint even funny. He turns slower than the Titanic and if Dubois can't stick a jab right hand on him and be out of the way before Joyce knows what day it is then he simply isn't the next big thing many think he is. If it gets into a dog fight, Dubois will be in a World of hurt as the Human Mudslide V2 bares down on him. No one wants Joe Joyce chasing them around the ring, no one.

The other one. I'd have to go for Yarde. No idea where he goes from there though. I can't think of a top light heavy I'd fancy him to beat.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Daniel Dubois vs Joe Joyce postponed due to coronavirus with new date announced for July 11, Josh Taylor fight also on hold

Daniel Dubois vs Joe Joyce has been postponed from its original date on April 11 at the O2 Arena due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The eagerly anticipated clash of rising British heavyweight contenders is now scheduled for July 11 at the same venue.

Josh Taylor’s homecoming against Apinun Khongsong (May 2) is also now on hold, with Jamel Herring vs Carl Frampton up in the air.

A statement from promoter Frank Warren read: “Following the guidelines and advisory measures announced by both the government and The British Boxing Board of Control, Queensberry Promotions feel it would be inappropriate to proceed with any forthcoming boxing promotions in front of live audiences during April and May.

“The Coronavirus situation is evolving rapidly and we will continue to follow the Government’s guidelines to ensure the health and safety of the paying public, staff and the participants.

“Daniel Dubois vs Joe Joyce on April 11 at the O2 Arena has now been rescheduled to Saturday July 11, still at the O2 Arena.

“Tickets will remain valid for the new date, however people who cannot attend the new date can obtain a refund from their original point of purchase.

“World champion Josh Taylor’s homecoming, scheduled for May 2 at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow will no longer take place on this date.

“Refunds are available from the point of purchase. We are currently working with the SSE Hydro, Top Rank and MTK Global to identify a suitable alternative date to reschedule the event for the Scottish fans.

“Queensberry Promotions and Top Rank have already reached an agreement for Carl Frampton to challenge Jamel Herring for the WBO world super-featherweight championship in Belfast in June. This event was due to be announced this week.

“At this moment in time, we are still hopeful of being able to stage this event in June, however, we will monitor the ever-changing landscape surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic.

“Details of the date, venue and location will be announced in due course.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/6...d-coronavirus/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Joyce left 'heartbroken' after spending thousands on Daniel Dubois fight camp before fight postponement

British heavyweight boxer Joe Joyce was heartbroken after hearing his highly anticipated bout with Daniel Dubois had been postponed, manager Sam Jones has revealed.

The bout was originally scheduled for April 11 but the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic forced promoter Frank Warren to push the date back to July 11.

The British Boxing Board of Control on Monday announced all events would be suspended until the end of April, with a meeting to take place next month to decide the next steps.

Joyce has been significantly impacted financially, but also mentally with his last two scheduled fights now being cancelled.

Speakinig to Bonus Code Bets, Jones said: "The reality is we paid for flights for our team and the sparring partner from the UK. Then we were paying weekly for four US-based sparring partners. The UFC training facility, the very nice villa we were living in out in Vegas.

"We are talking thousands and thousands of pounds and I'm not talking about small thousands - big thousands - all invested into a camp that you can't claim back because boxers are self-employed. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

"At first, we were trying to put it to the back of our minds but then it became a serious problem. Flights were getting cancelled. We were hearing Donald Trump could make it difficult for us to get back to the UK, so we needed to make a decision."

A number of sporting events were taken behind closed doors before more strict isolation measures were introduced. Jones said that this was never a possibility, however.

"We were very much prepared to finish the camp in the UK, prepared to fly the coach over," he said. "There was talk of fights happening behind closed doors, but it would have been unfair.

"Both boys deserve the biggest night of their careers, inside a packed O2 Arena. We eventually got told it was near-on impossible for the fight to go ahead and we were given July 11.

"It's a worldwide disaster but things will settle down. Unless something crazy happens, I am very confident and wholeheartedly believe it's going to go ahead on July 11th.

"We were at the business end of camp, so Joe is now having a week off with his family. He'll then start ticking over with his strength and conditioning coach and look to head back to the US, or Ismael Salas will come over to the UK. We haven't quite decided that yet."

Regardless of the delay, Jones believes the result will be the same and equally as emphatic.

"It's going to be a different date with the same result," he said. "Joe is going to stop Daniel Dubois. It's going to be a car crash at the O2 Arena and it's only going to end one way.

"This is the biggest fight of Joe's career, five or six belts on the line, the winner goes on to a guaranteed world title shot. The date has been pushed back but this fight will happen - the fans have demanded it."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/joe...173146691.html

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joshua Buatsi confident he and Anthony Yarde will collide as he plots patient approach to summit of boxing

When discussing his trade, Joshua Buatsi insists boxing is one of those sports where you cannot afford to stick to one route - and where you can pay the price for looking too far down the line.

With the sport turned on its head due to the coronavirus outbreak, that philosophy is serving him well. Buatsi learned last Tuesday that his return to the ring, scheduled for the Saturday just gone at the O2 Arena, has been shelved, among the first fights on these shores to be postponed as the country battles an unprecedented pandemic.

It was meant to be the start of a big year. The Croydon fighter enjoyed a superb 2019 that saw him fight on the Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr undercard in New York and extend his professional record to 12-0 with victory over Ryan Ford. Illness forced him to withdraw from what would have been his fourth fight of the year in November.

Those performances helped enhance his reputation as one of the next truly great talents from these shores - one he has carried since leaving Rio with a bronze medal at the 2016 Olympic Games.

Undefeated and moving into positions where world title opportunities will soon be within touching distance, he insists he will continue to listen to those around him and continue learning until those plans fall into place.

“I feel boxing is one of those sports where you can’t have one route that you are going to religiously stick to,” Buatsi told Standard Sport. “It’s all about keeping that record 100 per cent, keep winning and keep improving and learning so that when an opportunity does come that I and my team think I am ready for, then we will go for it.

“I don’t think it's all about sticking to a specific route, things happen in this game. But I'm healthy, I’m safe and I want to keep learning and keep winning so I am ready for when the opportunity comes.”

Buatsi is swiftly rising up the light heavyweight division and as of this month, holds a no.2 ranking with the WBA and no.3 with the IBF. A division overflowing with hugely competitive and compelling fights at the top end holds plenty of promise for the 27-year-old, but there is one name from a little closer to home that has UK fans most excited.

Anthony Yarde’s career had until last summer followed a somewhat similar trajectory to that of Buatsi - until the Hackney-born fighter stepped up to challenge former pound-for-pound great Sergey Kovalev for the WBO title in deepest darkest Russia last August.

Yarde was within one or two more punishing shots of dethroning the Russian before running out of steam, knocked out in the 11th round as a result.

Both Buatsi and Yarde, remain focused on their own respective journeys. But an all-London showdown at the top of the division seems inevitable.

“They say you need a dance partner. If there are two big names coming out from the same nation where there is mad interest and it is good for the fighters and the public, I guess so.”

Is that man Yarde? “I think so, I'm sure if I keep doing what I'm doing and he keeps doing what he's doing and at the right time, our paths will cross. Definitely.”

Buatsi is in no rush, however. He has been backed for greatness before he even flew out to Rio in 2016 and while he is still just three years into his professional career, managing expectation has become second nature.

"You have just got to listen to people that are closest to you. So in boxing it is whatever my trainer and my manager thinks, I'm trusting them to guide my career, giving me the right fights at the right time. I can't let it to get into my head too much, or take it too personally. There is expectation and pressure in this life. I don’t look to deep into it."

Religion plays a central role in the life of the Ghana-born fighter, who alongside the likes of Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha and grime king Stormzy, is part of a gifted generation of young Croydon men and women at the forefront of a wave of talent from the borough.

"I'm proudly from Croydon, I'm glad to be one of many coming from a place that is filled with talent. Zaha, Stormzy, the names speak for themselves so I am humbled to be on that list of people who are doing well and making a statement. There are many more out there and I hope they get the opportunity and the break they are looking for."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/jos...031716863.html

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yardes dad died of Coronavirus recently.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Yarde’s grandmother dies of coronavirus just days after father’s death

British light-heavyweight Anthony Yarde has announced his grandmother has died from the coronavirus just a few days after his father’s death as a result of the pandemic.

The 28-year-old fighter appealed to people to “just stay home” as he said his grandmother had died on Thursday.

“It’s serious!” Yarde wrote on social media. “People are still going out when they don’t need to. I know there’s a lot of opinions about Covid-19 and I have mine but I just know opinions ain’t worth risking your life and others. Just stay home.”

Yarde’s father, who the boxer said had been “fit with no health issues”, died last Friday.

Yarde’s promoter Frank Warren wrote on Twitter: “We are extremely sad to learn that Anthony Yarde has now lost his Nan to the Coronavirus.

“We can’t begin to imagine what Anthony and his family are going through and our sincere condolences go out to them.

“Please listen to his heartfelt personal plea, stay at home to save lives.”

Yarde’s next fight was set to be against Britain’s Lyndon Arthur on 11 April, but the event has been delayed until 11 July because of the pandemic.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ant...195620689.html

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Joyce and Dubois may have interim fights behind closed doors before meeting later this year

Frank Warren and Daniel Dubois have told talkSPORT that he and Joe Joyce may take interim fights before facing one another as originally planned.

The much anticipated fight between unbeaten heavyweights was originally due to take place on April 11 at the O2 Arena, but the coronavirus pandemic put an end to these plans.

Now, with the future of events in front of large crowds uncertain, the pair could return in separate bouts.

“At the moment we’ve pushed it back to late autumn,” Warren told talkSPORT Fight Night about Dubois vs Joyce.

“We’re waiting, it’s in the hands of the scientists and the government who will decide when and if we can put on an event before large gatherings.

“Until that happens, I cannot give you an answer. For me, it’s a fight that has to take place in front of a live audience, we were nigh on sold out at the O2.

“It’s a fight that deserves a live audience, two undefeated heavyweights.

“Everybody in the boxing world was really looking forward to the event and we hope to get it back on.

“In the meantime, we’ve gotta look and see what happens over the next couple of months.

“These guys, I’m quite sure, will want to get into the ring and want to do something.

“I hope it won’t be, but maybe they will wind up fighting [not against one another] behind closed doors.”

Despite admitting his frustrations at the delay, 22-year-old Dubois is able to take positives from the situation.

“It’s given us time to get everything right,” he told talkSPORT Fight Night.

“Last time out, things could’ve been better.

“It’s just given me more time to prepare really.

“Hopefully it does come off though.

“Martin Bowers [trainer] has been talking to Frank. I think we’ll both have a fight before that.

“That’s what I’ve been told, July or August, by then I should have another fight.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/7...-joyce-fights/

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best domestic HW dust up since Joshua v Whyte .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Daniel Dubois, Joe Joyce Set For Interim-Bouts Ahead of October Fight

Joyce will face Michael Wallisch, from Munich, on July 25. The 34-year-old, who is 6ft 5½in tall, won his first 19 fights as a professional, but has lost three of his past four, being stopped by Christian Hammer, Efe Ajagba and Tony Yoka, who controversially beat Joyce in the Olympic final in 2016.

Dubois, the British and Commonwealth champion, will take on unbeaten two-time Olympic Erik Pfeifer.
    The Russian-born 33-year-old has only had seven fights as a professional. He twice won bronze medal at the World Amateur Championships, in 2011, when he lost his semi-final to Anthony Joshua, and 2013. He boxed at the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and boxed four seasons in the World Series Boxing, where he twice beat Yoka.

https://www.boxingscene.com/daniel-d...-fight--150066

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At a glance, that looks like a bit of a banana skin for Dubois. Alright he's only had seven fights but he's got some decent pedigree, some decent WBS wins. Probably amplified a bit given Joyce has what looks like a knock over job.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information