Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Charles Brewer v Antwun Echols

Forgot what a chaotic gem this one was! I loved watching Brewer and his 'live by the sword die by the sword' roller coaster career. He and Echols always seemed to be involved in some WTF moments just trying to take a guys head off.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Charles Brewer v Antwun Echols

I always thought it was an unfair stoppage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Forgot what a chaotic gem this one was! I loved watching Brewer and his 'live by the sword die by the sword' roller coaster career. He and Echols always seemed to be involved in some WTF moments just trying to take a guys head off.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the time I was same with Brewer getting hit ugly but still able to get off ropes. Echols flopping to the canvas just prior after having Brewer in trouble in the corner probably did Brewer a favor. He was always a hard guy to read. Seemingly had a chin made of dry toast but could easily come back off the wobble and hurt a guy back.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Echols, Brewer, and Robert Allen were all similar fighters in my opinion. All three were dangerous in certain regards but also had glaring holes in their game, which made them exciting fighters to watch on ESPN shows but hindered/prevented them from beating top tier champs. I feel that the gap in boxing today isn’t so much at the highest level of fighters (superstars), but rather at this level that resides just below. This is the level that really drives the sport in my opinion, as casual fans remain engaged watching exciting fights for free while waiting for PPV/Superfight level events.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Echols, Brewer, and Robert Allen were all similar fighters in my opinion. All three were dangerous in certain regards but also had glaring holes in their game, which made them exciting fighters to watch on ESPN shows but hindered/prevented them from beating top tier champs. I feel that the gap in boxing today isn’t so much at the highest level of fighters (superstars), but rather at this level that resides just below. This is the level that really drives the sport in my opinion, as casual fans remain engaged watching exciting fights for free while waiting for PPV/Superfight level events.
    Really good point and makes perfects sense. Boxing is indeed about levels and imo we get fooled into thinking that all 'great' must see action only happens when we have to drop repeated money for it or sit through all the pomp and circumstances. We're like monkeys or toddlers at times..we like bright lights and shiny objects . Meanwhile you have consistent very capable top talent churning with each other on any giving night and sometimes they produce that under the radar classic. The 'honest' non diva fighters for lack of a better description . It's never more true than with a guy like The Hatchet. The fact he excelled off of a hellacious early 90's run that saw him befuddled and boxed by some 30+ loss guy back to back and then freakishly ko'd back to back speaks to the difference between stroked stars and guys required to earn their way back. I thought he beat Ottke and he retired an all time great in Graham. Seem to recall him hurting Calzaghe bad in the body but I don't want to get that war started. I'd have to rate Allen a level below both he and Echols but only because they didn't lay on the canvas and get caught by the ref staring up and trying to fake it with Hopkins .

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Herol Graham was old but on a good run. He knocked down Brewer and if the Bomber had enough in his legs he would have taken the decision.

Brewer gave Joe a good and exciting fight and should have got a decision against Ottke.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information