Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Super Sunday

Yes, I know. You guys across the pond are going to stay up way past midnight in order to watch the Super Bowl.

Over here, it's one big party. It's one of these sporting events that has taken on a life of its own. Some people don't even watch football all year long, but make sure to tune in to the Super Bowl. It's an event that gets bigger and bigger each year, with each SB trying to outdo the previous one (sort of like the Olympics in that regard). The halftime show is an event onto itself.... and the reason some non-fans even bother tuning in. (Normally that's when I get up and go get more snacks and drinks. Except for this year, when Shakira and JLo will be performing and it's my red-blooded male duty to stay and watch ).

Most people you talk to here have grandiose plans. Full-out party with lots of people, including women and children, BBQ's, drinks coming out the ying-yang...... you name it. Either that, or many people converge at establishments that televise the game on all sorts of huge screens, whether they be bars, restaurants, or whatever. There's certainly no lack of places where to watch the Super Bowl. In fact, I saw on Facebook a gay bar in Minneapolis waiving their usual cover charge and offering free drinks for any patrons who'd like to watch the game there. It's just a HUGE DEAL.

Me? To me it's just a football game, albeit the championship game. It's an anticlimax to a season full of exciting games and an even more exciting playoffs during the past month. I normally enjoy the playoffs as much or more than the SB itself. During that time, the "casuals" (yeah... there's casuals in football too) aren't even aware of who's playing whom. I normally just get together with my brothers and maybe a couple of friends and just enjoy the game. Food and drinks are a must, of course, as Super Bowls always cause a huge craving for football-type food. But it's just to watch the game. No party.... no kids running around causing distractions.... no asking whether Michael Jordan is still playing (some of the female non-sports fans). Just some guys watching what is sadly the last pro football game until October. (The pre-season starts in September..... but I never watch that. Those are just glorified scrimmages).

So since I know you're all wondering..... ...... it's the Kansas City Chiefs vs. the San Francisco 49ers. I have no favorites here, other than to say I hope it's a good, competitive game.

Now I gotta go and start getting some munchies together.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Super Sunday

I ll be watching, no party for me though.. Id like Kansas to win it..

Anyway you have clearly forgotten about the CFL and even better.... The xfl!. :S.... No need to wait till October

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's also the LFL.....

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly forgot it was tonight . Guess that's what happens when you have tunnel vision on your own team making it. Haven't heard many people supporting the 49's and I hope the Chiefs take it. If making pot o coffee #3 and chicken salad on Ritz is a party than I should be hanging from the ceiling fans in short order. No wonder I never married

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I honestly forgot it was tonight . You're welcome.

Guess that's what happens when you have tunnel vision on your own team making it. Haven't heard many people supporting the 49's and I hope the Chiefs take it. Yeah, most people I talk to favor the Chiefs. I like them both, but it's 5 rings vs. one.... and that one was about 50 or so years ago.

If making pot o coffee #3 and chicken salad on Ritz is a party than I should be hanging from the ceiling fans in short order. No wonder I never married

Gotta get you up to speed on football food, @Spicoli. Here it's usually a mix of canned octopus with onions and hot sauce on crackers. Either that or the more traditional hot wings and assorted chips.

This year I'm going a bit less exciting and will do regular air fried wings and maybe some meatballs on the side.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canned octopus?! man that sounds like 2am trouble .

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try it bro. You'll be hooked. Anyway.... you're a Louisiana man, right? C'mon you should be used to eating exotic stuff.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Try it bro. You'll be hooked. Anyway.... you're a Louisiana man, right? C'mon you should be used to eating exotic stuff.
    No I will not . Truth is dude I've been here since mid 90's and have only had boiled crawfish a single time. Strangest thing. Last boil I went to just ate the boudin potatoes and corn. Not sure how this game is gonna go but they killed it with the NFL 100 yrs and 'Raggedy old flag' tributes.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I ate octopus a few times, at the sushi restaurant (it's a bit chewy but good) and in Croatia once, not bad stuff..

10-10 with 2 mins of the first half left,, so pretty close, I think Kansas are looking the more likely to win it though....

Shakira v Beyoncé next... :S

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And now San Francisco are dominating the third quarter, about to go ten points clear and looking good... Hopefully Kansas make a comeback to keep it interesting, 69ers doing a good job in the third thiugh.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh six mins left and Kansas get a touchdown from a passinterference by sf.... Close game, good stuff.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wahey Kansas get a fortunate call (I think) to get a touchdown... 2.44 left and Kansas 4 up, game got good.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aha San Francisco and the gruffalo quite tamely give up the ball around the halfway line and Kansas score a rushing touch to finish it.... Bit of a tame ending... Not a bad game all round but there's been better. Good job Kansas!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Kansas won when I wanted the 49ers. At least I know where Kansas is now.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    I ate octopus a few times, at the sushi restaurant (it's a bit chewy but good) and in Croatia once, not bad stuff..

10-10 with 2 mins of the first half left,, so pretty close, I think Kansas are looking the more likely to win it though....

Shakira v Beyoncé next... :S

Same booty, but..... no.

Thread Information