Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What has happened to boxing fans lately?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What has happened to boxing fans lately?

Here's a question that I've always wanted to ask...& I guess it's kind of a multi question question...but it still comes down to the same basic point:

DO THE FANS NO LONGER HAVE THE SAME RESPECT FOR BOXING OR IT'S FIGHTERS AS OUR PREDESSECORS?

By that I mean this...back in "the big time of boxing" there were fans that seemed to get behind their fighters more. People seemingly latched their hearts on to fighters years ago. People cried when their fighter lost...but they often held them up & still supported them.

Quite often on our joint here...I see a lot of people jump ship the moment their man loses. Now don't get me wrong...I'm not pointing the finger at everyone...really I'm not...but we do get a lot of new members on the site that almost seem to just come on & bash a fighter into the ground. One is Jeff Lacy of course...but that's not the point that I am trying to make...or maybe it is.

Errrrrrrrr...back to the point.

What has indeed happened to the undying loyalty & respect for boxers?

People rip apart the ones that are technically gifted & undefeated, they applaud the ones that are human stains, & often they hinge their hopes on fighters that are champions but unproven against high caliber opponents.

What is going on? Talk to me people. I'm just curious.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What has happened to boxing fans lately?

hey im a loyal kell brook fan....incase you didnt know lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that as boxing has changed, so have the fans. For the few fighters that still represent the older generation, the fans still show the same love. Look at Hatton and Gatti. These are fighters who get the money, but seem to earn it, they like boxing. As a boxing fan, supporting a great talented fighter, it is difficult to really back them when you see them getting involved in politics and opponent picking because they are scared or because of the cash.
    If a fighter with the talent of PBF was to come out and make all the fights that the fans want to see, then he would be a legend. He can do it. Even if it ment that he took a paycut, and didn't affiliate himself with anyone TV network, and stated to the boxing world that his priority was to prove himself as the greatest, then he would have the love of ALL fans. People wouldn't care if he lost, and the irony is that he would make way more money that he does now. Case in point, Gatti! Limited ability, yet still gets the love, fights and cash.
    Also guys like Don King really kill boxing. It is hard to support any fighter in the King stable because you NEVER know the full story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Here's a question that I've always wanted to ask...& I guess it's kind of a multi question question...but it still comes down to the same basic point:

DO THE FANS NO LONGER HAVE THE SAME RESPECT FOR BOXING OR IT'S FIGHTERS AS OUR PREDESSECORS?

By that I mean this...back in "the big time of boxing" there were fans that seemed to get behind their fighters more. People seemingly latched their hearts on to fighters years ago. People cried when their fighter lost...but they often held them up & still supported them.

Quite often on our joint here...I see a lot of people jump ship the moment their man loses. Now don't get me wrong...I'm not pointing the finger at everyone...really I'm not...but we do get a lot of new members on the site that almost seem to just come on & bash a fighter into the ground. One is Jeff Lacy of course...but that's not the point that I am trying to make...or maybe it is.

Errrrrrrrr...back to the point.

What has indeed happened to the undying loyalty & respect for boxers?

People rip apart the ones that are technically gifted & undefeated, they applaud the ones that are human stains, & often they hinge their hopes on fighters that are champions but unproven against high caliber opponents.

What is going on? Talk to me people. I'm just curious.

i know what you mean Wacko, i must admit people hurry to jump the bandwagon so fast these days...
    I noticed it happened to Gatti too, maybe not here but certainly on other websites...all this talk about Gatti was reborn and their favourite fighter and once he lost to Floyd, he just suddenly turned into a classless bum.
    Maybe its because fighters are having less fights, and are more interested in big paydays rather than fighting the best out there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well,when Manny destroyed Erik in Jan,I was as close to tears as you can get,that may sound gay but I coudn't help it! I thought Erik was indestructible(heck his chin still is). I just think it is more of a society thing, people are always looking for bigger,better things,always looking for the guys at the top to take a fall. It is just how man was created I guess. I'm sure in the times of unbeaten guys like Marciano,people wanted them to have that 1 on their record,not always in a negative sense,as in to see how they bounce back from adversity?
    The_One,cool click,hit the nail on the head,in relation to your last paragraph Wack,each to his own,who you see as amazing and talented maybe a waste of talent to someone else,who you see as a warrior maybe a villan to someone else etc and when guys are just going after big paydays, I really could not give a crap about how talented they are if we don't see that talent in effect. People hinge hopes on guys like you mentioned because they are the under dogs, the ones not given a shot,the one that works his ass off,may not be technically gifted but wins nontheless. If the high claiber opponents gave the hard working uys a chance, we may see a new star shine,you know what I mean? Winky's case:Mosley.JMM:Pacman etc. CC Wacko, for a thought provoking thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thxs man

CC back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think a lot of it is because these undefeated highly skilled guys set themselves up to be picked apart. When a guy like PBF or Judah claims to be the greatest and doesnt respect his opponents he best not make a single mistake in the ring or someone will say something about it. If these guys kept there mouths shut and werent so cocky they wouldnt have the burden of being great all the time. You wont hear someone ever say Gatti sucks, cause he just fights and never claimes to be the best. He just does his job and peoples like him. Same thing with Pac, Winky, De La Hoya, Barrera. But the Tarvers, PBFs, Judahs of the boxing world will always be picked apart as long as they talk
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well i did shed a tear when khan won his silver medal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good stuff people.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    I think a lot of it is because these undefeated highly skilled guys set themselves up to be picked apart. When a guy like PBF or Judah claims to be the greatest and doesnt respect his opponents he best not make a single mistake in the ring or someone will say something about it. If these guys kept there mouths shut and werent so cocky they wouldnt have the burden of being great all the time. You wont hear someone ever say Gatti sucks, cause he just fights and never claimes to be the best. He just does his job and peoples like him. Same thing with Pac, Winky, De La Hoya, Barrera. But the Tarvers, PBFs, Judahs of the boxing world will always be picked apart as long as they talk
    CC,good points bro and I agree, again regardless of talent, if a guys is going to have a big mouth, he best hope he backs it up and in the case of Zab for example,he doesn't so it makes look an ever bigger fool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by emma
    So...tell me a bit about Kell Brooks...because I honestly don't know anything ther than he's made a name for himself by fighting almost deceased opposition.

Brian Coleman (24 wins with 5 ko's, 141 losses, & 7 draws), Peter Buckley (31 wins with 8 ko's, 221 losses, & 11 draws), & Ernie Smith (13 wins with 1 ko, 97 losses, & 5 draws) twice...I mean...what the fwock?

I know he's a prospect & you seem to be all about him...but those guy's seem to be nothing more than "morgue-worthy" opponents. His other opposition is not equally as bad...but still terrible.

I'm not trying to be overly critical...just curious. Why does he not step up to someone a bit more noteworthy...Amir has & faired very well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hahaha, is that who this Kell Brooks has faced? And is that why he is getting all this attention? For beating "Morgue worthy" opponents?! I love that line Wack!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    hahaha, is that who this Kell Brooks has faced? And is that why he is getting all this attention? For beating "Morgue worthy" opponents?! I love that line Wack!!

Heh heh heh. Call 'em like I see 'em babe. That is some bullshat! Hatton faced opposition that was better than that in his first 9 or 10...that right there...that's just ree-got-dam-dick-u-los!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Quote Originally Posted by emma
    So...tell me a bit about Kell Brooks...because I honestly don't know anything ther than he's made a name for himself by fighting almost deceased opposition.

Brian Coleman (24 wins with 5 ko's, 141 losses, & 7 draws), Peter Buckley (31 wins with 8 ko's, 221 losses, & 11 draws), & Ernie Smith (13 wins with 1 ko, 97 losses, & 5 draws) twice...I mean...what the fwock?

I know he's a prospect & you seem to be all about him...but those guy's seem to be nothing more than "morgue-worthy" opponents. His other opposition is not equally as bad...but still terrible.

I'm not trying to be overly critical...just curious. Why does he not step up to someone a bit more noteworthy...Amir has & faired very well.
    if you wanna know more about him checkout his website www.freewebs.com/kellbrookfansite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's just one of those things where certain sports lose their mass appeal over time. Mens tennis for instance, was huge back in the '70s and '80s, and now not only is it irrelevant, it's even overshadowed by women's tennis. Lack of charismatic athletes who also happen to be the best will cause a sport to lose fans, and that's what's happened to boxing. It's only when the best guys also happen to be the most beloved and fun to watch that a sport will be popular. The guys with the charisma (Mayorga, Toney, etc.) are not the elite, and the guys on top are boring mutherf@ckers.

Thread Information