Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo vs Saunders

why was it that julio cesar chavez could do so well against hector camacho but not pernell whitaker?

the fighter that i want to see canelo fight is demetrius andrade.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    why was it that julio cesar chavez could do so well against hector camacho but not pernell whitaker?

Pernell Whitaker is a true ATG, one of the greatest lightweight champions ever in the history of the division, the Macho Man was nowhere as good at that.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

canelo would knockout demetrius
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still can't get beyond Golovkin taking so much stick for pulverizing Martirosyan yet Vanes arguably gave Andrade his toughest fight to date. I tried to root for Boo Boo but at this point I think he's going to turn around after another 3,4 empty defenses and wonder how-why he let it all pass him by.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

I still can't get beyond Golovkin taking so much stick for pulverizing Martirosyan yet Vanes arguably gave Andrade his toughest fight to date. I tried to root for Boo Boo but at this point I think he's going to turn around after another 3,4 empty defenses and wonder how-why he let it all pass him by.
    Vanes was small for middleweight and took the fight on shorter notice. He was also considered basically washed up by the time he fought GGG. Vanes was a solid fighter in his prime, but he was never great.

Andrade is very slick but is an absolutely atrocious finisher. It makes for a boring fighter. I do still think stylistically he gives Canelo problems. The issue is that he could in no way knockout Canelo and there is almost no way Canelo would lose on the scorecards.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m not sure if everybody’s scores, but I scored the fight 116-112 for Pernell. I actually didn’t think a draw was atrocious. I think Pernell deserved it, but I thought that there were enough swing rounds that you could score it a draw.

But as master said, Pernell was much better than Camacho.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Pernell Whitaker is a true ATG, one of the greatest lightweight champions ever in the history of the division, the Macho Man was nowhere as good at that.
    whitaker had a move where he'd press down and twist on his front foot, and, really just vanish, i guess you'd have to say.

that little twist on the front foot is what gives you that really sharp break away action.

thing is, when a southpaw does it, they go behind your back, and they really do vanish.

well whitaker was vanishing a lot that night, put it that way. he was doing another thing camacho was not doing. movement creates gravity. whitaker would pull chavez in, then set his feet and freeze chavez there, then pull chavez back out - kinda like a magnet changing its polarity whenever it wanted. he had this way of pulling and staying chavez when and where he wanted. watch the camacho fight, movement creates its own gravity, and all camacho could do was pull chavez in to him. and that chavez did well.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Saunders will surprise him like how Hatton surprised Tszyu. Then we can see the Callum SMith vs Saunders. Here is a look at Callum's last fight, which some felt was a close decision, I thought Ryder did well.

Would Callum be able to get to BJS?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you're giving Saunders too much credit, @NoSavingByTheBell

Saunders lacks the punch to put Ginger down, for if there is anything Ginger has, it's a great chin. Ginger knows that, so he'll fight accordingly. Which means pressure for 12 rounds.

It's academic either or. If it's a decision, Ginger wins. The only possibility of a Saunders win is by KO, and we all know that ain't gonna happen.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I assumed you mean Canelo? GInger aka Carrot(top), (for his hair?) BoJo has decepting power in his left uppercut, and Ginger is not use to fighting southpaw. It could prove out to be styles make fights.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    I assumed you mean Canelo? GInger aka Carrot(top), (for his hair?) BoJo has decepting power in his left uppercut, and Ginger is not use to fighting southpaw. It could prove out to be styles make fights.
    canelo is on another level to these british level scrubs
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Billy Joe Saunders hopes Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez fight can happen this year

Billy Joe Saunders would have been fighting Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in Las Vegas last weekend for an estimated purse of $8 million had it not been for the coronavirus pandemic. Instead, the WBO supermiddleweight champion spent Saturday afternoon "playing cards on the farm with family" in Hertfordshire.

"I'm dealing with it and it is what it is... I just hope the country can get back to normal and I hope everyone stays safe," he told Telegraph Sport.

"The fights will come later in the year, but I'm staying in contact with my management MTK Global and I'm just trying to go on as many runs as possible and stay as fit and ready as I can."

Saunders hopes that the Canelo fight will still be a goer later in the year. "They’re keeping me informed. I know Eddie has to get a lot of dates together for fighters. I’ll let it go on through my management and they’ll get back to me. Less of a headache.

"At the minute the whole world has stopped, so it’s a bit easier to cope with," Saunders told Telegraph Sport. "It is what it is, you can’t moan on about it. Instead of fighting for the biggest prize in boxing in Canelo Alvarez, I’m sat down, chilling, playing cards on the farm. I dealt with it when it happened. It’s one of them, it’s completely out of control. Just got to get on with it, all you can do.”

Saunders also reiterated that he wants to donate to a domestic abuse charity after the incident which saw him pilloried several weeks ago. “It was one of those silly things I do. I’m sure the [Boxing Board] will do what they’re going to do, but whatever that is I’m still looking at domestic abuse foundations. I’d like to see the Board say ‘look, we won’t take it any further but we’ll let you put the video to good use’ because I obviously need to correct it and I will be making a donation.”

Saunders, and rival Briton Callum Smith, currently ranked No 1 supermiddleweight in the world, have also been called out in the last week by American Danny Jacobs, who is also promoted by Hearn.

“Danny is a great fighter and I’ve got a lot of respect to him. He just lost out on a big fight, same as me. He’s a great fighter, up there with the best, but he hasn’t got anything that interests me at the moment. He’s had his chances against Gennady Golovkin and Canelo. Let me have my chance. I’m sure Callum Smith will be up for the fight and I’m sure Eddie can make me and him.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/bil...201541292.html

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah mostly like will be an all_Brit Callum vs Saunders, just like = Tyson/Joshua. The kabosh has put on any interantional stuff, too risky this year. Unless empty stadium type venue, then OK yeah, it could happen.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saunders is a world class twat though
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez next fight: Mexican ‘seeking cheaper opponent than Billy Joe Saunders’ as surprise names enter the mix for September bout

Canelo Alvarez is reportedly exploring cheaper opponents than Billy Joe Saunders for his next fight.

Mexico’s pound-for-pound star was due to face the Brit on May 2, but the bout was scrapped by the coronavirus pandemic just days before it was due to be officially announced.

Plans are now being put in place for the return of boxing, including a September fight for Canelo.

However, it is not as simple as just rearranging the Saunders clash for a new date.

Alvarez will now potentially have to fight behind closed doors, meaning the event will lose out on millions of dollars in ticket revenue.

For his last two live gates, the 29-year-old generated $8.2million (vs Sergey Kovalev) and $8.7million (vs Daniel Jacobs).

When the fight was due to happen in May, Saunders was said to have agreed a purse of around $8million.

Therefore, according to BoxingScene, Canelo’s team are now exploring cheaper options in case he has to compete behind closed and lose out on the live gate.

One target opponent is said to be Anthony Dirrell, a 35-year-old former WBC super-middleweight champion who lost his title to David Benavidez last time out.

Another, according to Mike Coppinger, is Sergiy Derevyanchenko, a 34-year-old two-time middleweight title challenger who has only lost in close fights with Gennady Golovkin and Daniel Jacobs.

It is acknowledged that Saunders could still end up facing Canelo next, but if he is to return in September the chances of a fight behind closed doors appear high.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/7...ers-september/

Thread Information