Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo vs Saunders

Saunders pulls out of running to face Canelo in September

WBO super-middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders will not face Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in a rescheduled title fight in September.

The pair had been due to meet in the ring in Las Vegas on May 2, but the coronavirus pandemic put paid to those plans.

Saunders (29-0) has withdrawn from discussions over meeting four-weight champion Canelo (53-1-2) on September 12 – the weekend of Mexico's Independence Day – due to an inability to train effectively during the COVID-19 crisis.

"I'm not ready [in] September. You can say to me, 'Billy Joe, a billion pounds, but you're not ready and you're going to get beat.' I would say keep it. Let me get ready, let me win and I will fight for free," Saunders told The Athletic.

"I'm nobody's stepping stone. I'm not another belt for Canelo. They want to try mind games; that don't work with me, I play the biggest mind games in British boxing.

"Would I like [Canelo's] business? I would love it. Do I need his business? No, I don't.

"I was going to be spot on [for May 2]. I was probably a couple weeks ahead of schedule, but it is what it is."

Of the situation he was in during lockdown, he added: "Every gym was closed, and my grandparents are very elderly, I live next door to them. There were a few [health] scares. 75 per cent of my time [was dedicated] to her, I couldn't leave the place, I had my kids every other day."

Saunders was reportedly set to earn $8million for the title fight with Canelo in May and was not impressed by the figures being suggested for a behind-closed-doors bout in September.

"If they think they're going to cut my money and cut me short, that's not going to happen," Saunders said.

"Considering he's getting $35million, they come to me for a pay cut in September? They want to get short notice and a pay cut. Why not him take a pay cut?"

A return in October to shake off any potential ring rust is planned before Saunders takes on a more high-profile opponent in December.

The 30-year-old would relish a chance to take on middleweight king Demetrius Andrade (29-0), who he missed out on a fight with in 2018 due to a failed drugs test.

"That's the fight I would want, I would love the fight. There's unfinished business with me and him," said Saunders.

"I think he's a non-top fighter. When it's gone his way he looks good, when not his way he can't get going. When I fight him, we both have skills. It'll be my heart versus his heart."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/sau...081610250.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right on, BJS. You tell 'em.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It looks to be he has gotten weak knees. Why can't he get ready by September, it is so far away still. Fighters can get in great shape in 8 weeks training.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighter after fighter is pulling out of Canelo fights. This has been happening for a while now, and every time it is about money. GBP is trying to cheat everyone and nobody is willing to play their game.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Fighter after fighter is pulling out of Canelo fights. This has been happening for a while now, and every time it is about money. GBP is trying to cheat everyone and nobody is willing to play their game.
    I don't think that he pull out because of the money but he is only saying it is like an excuse. I think he pull out of that fight because he does not want to get his ass kicked

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zoley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I don't think that he pull out because of the money but he is only saying it is like an excuse. I think he pull out of that fight because he does not want to get his ass kicked
    If it were a one time thing then that would make sense, but every single person who has pulled out in the last year or more has claimed that GBP was trying to cheat them.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar shall be ashamed of himself if he keeps it up to cheat them out of money

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly a half simp the likes of Saunders should consider himself fortunate to have been in the talks. Cannot see Canelo and company putting out anything close to 8 million for an opponent in this situation but pickings are slim. Very weird situation for the a franchise super star. Smith Jr just had the Alvarez fight fall apart? At least start picking a direction/weight.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Billy Joe Saunders = Frankie Gavin

Loads of talent, which is often enough to have a good amateur career .... but come up short in the brains and dedication department.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez has offer from John Ryder with Londoner hopeful he's 'cheaper alternative' for September

John Ryder is confident he will be ready to fight Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez in September and believes he can be a ‘cheaper alternative’ for the Mexican with the cost of the coronavirus pandemic hitting boxing.

Pound-for-pound great Canelo is currently considering opponents for September 14 in Las Vegas with the four-weight world champion and current WBA ‘regular’ super-middleweight champion ready to fight behind closed doors.

WBO super-middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders recently insisted he will no longer consider taking the fight on two months’ notice but Golden Boy president Eric Gomez this week named Ryder and WBA ‘Super’ champion Callum Smith as two names firmly in the running if travel restrictions permit the Brits to make the trip to the US.

Ryder and promoter Eddie Hearn have been in contact with Golden Boy to inform them of the Londoner’s availability with the 31-year-old ready to take the chance of a lifetime.

“Eddie contacted them and said I was ready and named a figure,” Ryder told Standard Sport. “I know they are keeping their cards very close to their chest to try catch people off guard I suppose. I think it might be something they put out there last minute to surprise a few people.”

Since confirming his decision to return to super-middleweight after a successful stint at light-heavyweight, Canelo’s camp have discussed Japanese star Ryota Murata and Gennady Golovkin as possible next options in addition to Saunders, Smith and Ryder.

But with Golden Boy admitting even Canelo, boxing’s most lucrative star, will have to take a ‘significant’ pay cut for the behind-closed-doors fight, Ryder hopes his offer is the most attractive one on the table.

“I read Canelo is taking a cut for his next fight. People have got to respect that and expect to take lesser pay for this.”

He added: “Callum is taking titles into the ring, I’ve got the people's champion title as such and you can't put a price on that. So I think I would be the cheaper alternative at the minute.”

Ryder admits a unification fight with Saunders or Smith is the better option for Canelo on paper but the unique circumstances boxing is currently faced with places him firmly in the running.

“I know they [Canelo] want the title. That’s more attractive to them than just fighting someone like me. But the way it is now with finances being cut, it going to be hard to get a champion over there.

“It’s about being in the right place at the right time. And with that performance last time out, it’s holding me in high regard. I was always after a big fight next. I was calling out Danny Jacobs but this could trump them all.

“He [Canelo] is a legend and has been in there with the best. To get a fight with him would be a dream come true.”

Ryder suffered the fifth defeat of his career last November against Smith in Liverpool, a highly controversial unanimous decision loss the Islington fighter and many others firmly believe was the wrong call.

Should he miss out on the Canelo fight, the Smith rematch is next on his list with a rematch with Saunders, who handed him his first professional defeat on a narrow points decision in 2013, also in his thoughts.

Ryder understands Saunders’ decision to withdraw from the running for the Canelo fight, but says him and trainer Tony Sims will have no issue taking it on shorter notice than usual.

“A 10-week camp for me would be ideal. There's been fights in the past when we’ve had eight weeks’ notice so 10 weeks is optimal really. Fingers crossed we can get it over the line with not too much red tape in the way, get to the States and have a big fight.”

Travel restrictions may play a key role in the decision and Ryder admits a US-based fighter could ultimately be the easiest option for the Mexican and his team.

But with an offer of sorts on the table, he says the ball is in their court.

“Eddie has stated my availability. You expect them to come back and haggle a bit, but they know what we want and what we are aiming for. It is down to them now.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/sau...094123120.html

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo's on "Easy Street" from now on, what with all the chumps lining up to get "Canelo money" at the expense of getting their asses kicked.

"Rankings Not Required" either........ as per the Franchise Champion rules, which clearly state that said champion can fight whoever he damn well pleases.

Oh..... he's not Franchise Champion outside of the middleweight division?

Fear not my friends. The WBC, if it hasn't already, will decree that the Franchise Champion designation will extend to all weights.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

john should have been offered the fight over callum. the gorilla is the uncrowned champ
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    john should have been offered the fight over callum. the gorilla is the uncrowned champ
    If that is how boxing worked then triple G has beaten Canelo twice and is the uncrowned champion at the weight.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    If that is how boxing worked then triple G has beaten Canelo twice and is the uncrowned champion at the weight.
    canelo beat up ggg in the second fight. he won his crown
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    canelo beat up ggg in the second fight. he won his crown
    He lost both fights.

Thread Information