Ben Davison

The mind is a funny old place. On one hand you've got Wilder thinking I clobbered him once I can do it again. One the other you've got Fury thinking he clobbered me the best that he can and it wasn't enough. I'm steamrollering this prick next time. That great moment built two entirely different pictures in two minds and it played a huge psychological part in proceedings this time around. As soon as Tyson started being more aggressive and pushing Wilder around the game was almost up. Yeah the cannon is still there but once the legs started going that was all but redundant and Wilder was up shit creek and his only paddle had a fucking great hole through the middle of it.

Wilder has never shown any signs of improvement or change. He gets beaten with that stick constantly, might be a bit unfair, former World title holder, 40 odd and 1.....and 1. It is a fair point though. At no point has there ever been any evidence that he's evolving. His movement is still the same, he still runs in with the right hand most of the time. Has someone been trying to work with him on development? I've always thought the answer to that question must have been yes, but Wilder simply isn't receptive to it, doesn't know how to change, or doesn't want to. Now I'm not so sure.

His corner seemed completely inept. There was no real (that I could hear granted) dialogue in the corner, nothing very instructive. He was clearly fucked long before the towel actually came in. When he asked why it was stopped and Breland told him his ear was fucked, I'm sure everyone thought it has been for several rounds for Christs sake. The post fight commentary also leads me to believe that they had that one trick in the locker and that was all that was needed and when it malfunctioned, they were collectively screwed. Unfortunately for Wilder he was the one paying the physical toll for it. He got laid bare. It was a leg, it was the weight of the costume, it was his ear, it shouldn't have been stopped, no one knew it was going to be stopped. It's a joke that these things were coming out of mouths from a 'team'.

Like anyone else I don't think Wilder will change. But that's no reason why he shouldn't try. He just needs someone who can educate him properly. Someone to say right, we're going to learn this one thing, or we're going to add a bit of culture to that right hand. Can you imagine Manny Steward salivating at the prospect of refining that thing.

Manny Pacquiao learned that he's got two arms. He also learned that blocking punches with your face isn't best practice. Will Wilder learn, not sure. I'm sure that the people he took into battle with him against Fury are not the ones to teach him.

Tough guy, no quit, good chin, bazooka right hand. Trainers should be queuing up for a piece of that.