Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mikey Garcia vs Jessie Vargas

Mikey Garcia will make his boxing return this weekend when he takes on Jessie Vargas in Texas on a bumper night of action.

Garcia lost to Errol Spence Jr in March 2016, the first defeat of his professional career after 39 straight wins.

He’s now set to make his comeback against Vargas, an American who has only won three of his last seven bouts.

There’s a host of top-level boxing on the undercard too including British stars Kal Yafai and Jay Harris.

This fight will take place on Saturday, February 29 and is being held at the Ford Center at The Star in Texas.

The ring walks are expected from 4am UK time on Sunday, March 1 but that will depend on the undercard results.

Former Team GB Olympian Kal Yafai will defend his WBA super-flyweight title on the undercard.

There’s further British interest before the main event with Jay Harris taking on Julio Cesar Martinez for the WBC flyweight title.

Joseph Parker, who lost to Anthon Joshua and Dillian Whyte in 2018, will also be in action as he faces Shawndell Winters.

Garcia vs Vargas: Undercard
    Mikey Garcia vs. Jessie Vargas, Welterweight
    Kal Yafai vs. Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez, WBA super-flyweight title
    Julio Cesar Martinez vs. Jay Harris, WBC flyweight title
    Joseph Parker vs. Shawndell Winters, Heavyweight
    Diego Pacheco vs. Oscar Rojas, Super middleweight
    Israil Madrimov vs. Charlie Navarro, Middleweight
    Alexis Espino vs. Delvecchio Savage, Super middleweight
    Leo Ruiz Acevedo vs. Dennis Knifechief, Middleweight
    Jesse Rodriguez vs. Marco Sustaita, Flyweight

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/6...joseph-parker/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikey Garcia vs Jessie Vargas

Mikey Garcia ready to erase doubts at welterweight vs. Jessie Vargas

For 39 professional fights, Mikey Garcia didn't know what it felt like to lose. He'd risen through the ranks on his way to becoming a four-division world champion and being regarded as pound-for-pound one of the best fighters in boxing by taking the toughest challenges along the way.

That was certainly the case when Garcia jumped up two weight classes to battle IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. in front of over 47,000 people at AT&T Stadium, the home of the Dallas Cowboys, back in March of last year. However, things didn't go Garcia's way, and Spence dominated from the opening bell to win a lopsided decision.

But instead of sulking and blaming everyone under the sun for why he lost for the first time, Garcia began thinking about the future.

"I wasn't sad at all," Garcia told Sporting News. "I wasn't dwelling on the past. I was just looking forward to the future right away. On the flight back home, I was already preparing for the future. I took time off, and that allowed me to focus my time and energy on other projects that I have. Now, I got the itch to get back into the ring. I'm more hungry, motivated, excited. I feel the layoff also helped me reignite that spark again."

Eleven months later, the fire is reignited, and Garcia returns to the ring on Saturday against Jessie Vargas at the Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas,

One of the questions coming in is why would Garcia stay at welterweight? Spence had the height, weight and reach advantage and bullied Garcia for 36 minutes. Why not go back to 135 or 140 pounds, win world titles, and regain the status of being one of the elite pugilists in the sport?

"That fight isn't indicative of who I am and what I'm capable of doing," Garcia said. "The last fight doesn't represent who I am. It was just one of those nights where I just couldn't get off or do anything. I feel this a good way to get back on track against a big name in search of winning a world title in a fifth different weight class. I know there's a lot more I can deliver, and that's what this fight is all about."

Garcia (39-1, 30 KOs) had plenty of options on who to take on for his in-ring return. He could have easily taken a tune-up in the welterweight division. However, that's not the mindset Garcia possesses. It's about taking the toughest matchups — ones that will further establish himself and help him be remembered after his career is over.

That's why Garcia is excited about facing Vargas, who checks all the boxes that he's looking for. Vargas (29-2-2, 11 KOs) is a former two-division world champion and has taken on Manny Pacquiao and Tim Bradley and brings an exciting style to the table.

Garcia understands if he's genuinely going to be a legit contender at 147 pounds and be mentioned in the same conversations with Spence, Pacquiao, Terence Crawford and Shawn Porter, then Vargas will provide that litmus test.

"I didn't want an easy fight in my return," Garcia said. "I rejected opponents because I wanted a big and tough bout for my comeback. Those types of fights don't motivate me, get me excited, and feel they would hurt my legacy. I want a fight that can showcase my skills and establish myself as a key player in the welterweight division. Jessie Vargas fits the name."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/mik...003049293.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

everyone's forgot how good mikey g is
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Vargas is a harder fight than expected

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vargas is a pretty good fighter, but unless Mikey has gone downhill, he should pretty easily win this one. He just isn’t a welterweight though. That’s his issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seen a lot of people backing Vargas on social media and he's a big 4/1 in the odds markets.

Would expect Garcia to get the win, as long as the size difference isn't too telling?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was a little surprised at the size difference once they were side by side. Have to keep reminding myself that Mikeys just around 5’7. Style wise should be good action but really hope Garcia isn’t sleeping on Vargas or going off his draws with Dulorme and Broner. Just can’t get my head around why Garcia is so stuck on 147 with the abundance of talent also at 140 and 135 but he knew he wasn’t coming back to Lt when he signed Spence. Odd really, in a way this is also Vargas looking to take the W over a huge name for most significant win at that weight?! He may very well flip the script if Mikey comes in pudgy and iffy off the 12 round drubbing to Spence.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey must think he is likely enough to get a Pacquiao fight, only thing that makes sense about sticking at 147 really. I'd guess he still won't be fighting anyone with top rank, maybe that's part of it also. Taylor and Ramirez look to be on course to fight, either of them or the winner against Mikey could be nice, at either weight, but if it just won't happen that's that. Prograis vs Mikey would be good.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey Garcia 145.8 lbs
    Jessie Vargas 147 lbs

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a nice card. Fortunately for the fans (but unfortunately for the fighters) the smaller weight classes don’t cost that much. That means we get two good undercards because they are fought at low weight classes

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Mikey must think he is likely enough to get a Pacquiao fight, only thing that makes sense about sticking at 147 really. I'd guess he still won't be fighting anyone with top rank, maybe that's part of it also. Taylor and Ramirez look to be on course to fight, either of them or the winner against Mikey could be nice, at either weight, but if it just won't happen that's that. Prograis vs Mikey would be good.
    Maybe MIkey can get the pacquiao fight, but honestly, I don’t know why Pacquiao would do it. Mikey isn’t a big name outside of hardcore fans and he’s definitely a risky fight. It is by no means at all a gimme fight.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree totally, just the only way I make sense of Garcia staying at the weight. He's already had a great career, but there is so much talent At 35 and 40 now it's a shame he didn't stay there.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey was saying that he wanted a fight at 140 for his comeback but a big fight was unavailable when he started planning, so other names were brought up, including Vargas at 147. Mikey has mentioned he is still open to fights at 140 but I think a belt in a 5th division is also in the back of his mind. Vargas is a pretty tough outing after almost a year out but I see Mikey winning a close decision.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1-0 Parker.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)