Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I love watching live boxing!

I love watching it on TV also... but the live experience is unique in so many different ways. Just attended a boxing card last night in Trujillo Alto. There were 8 of us in the group, which always makes it even better. I've never attended a boxing event alone, and don't know whether I'd enjoy it as much. I was there mostly to get my first look at Xander Zayas, a wonderful local welterweight prospect. He did not disappoint. He wasn't even the featured bout. The featured bout was between two undefeated fighters... one local and the other was Mexican. Both the Xander fight and the main event where terrific fights. The venue was small enough that all the seats were great seats. One of the perks of being at a live boxing event is seeing the seemingly endless parade of female fans dressed to kill. It had been too long since I did this, and I won't wait as long for the next one.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I love watching live boxing!

https://www.boxingscene.com/xander-z...o-rico--147206

Xander Zayas, Angel Aponte Stop Opponents in Puerto Rico

Xander became the youngest fighter to ever sign a pro contract with Top Rank, at 16 years of age. He's now 4-0 with 3 KO's, and has all the earmarks of a future star. I hope he remembers I went to see him in his pro debut in Puerto Rico.

Undefeated Angel "Bebito" Aponte of San Juan, PR stopped also (previously) undefeated Irving Macías of Mexico by TKO in the 7th round.

Both were terrific fights.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That’s cool. I’ve only gone to one live professional fight which was Floyd vs Mitchell. It was pretty cool but I was up pretty high.

I have gone to a few local amateur cards though and they have been really fun.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    That’s cool. I’ve only gone to one live professional fight which was Floyd vs Mitchell. It was pretty cool but I was up pretty high.

I see that was in Portland (Maine? Oregon?). Do you live nearby there?

Yeah... depending on where you sit, it can totally affect your viewing experience. I've been to boxing events in the Coliseo de Puerto Rico (big), the Roberto Clemente Coliseum (medium), and ones like last night in Trujillo Alto (small). Definitely the smaller venues have the advantage in that there isn't a bad seat in the house. I saw a Cotto fight once in the Coliseo de PR, and was sitting so far up, it was better looking at the screen. Definitely not a good experience.

The whole live experience is cool, though. On TV you don't appreciate the roar of the crowd, nor the buzz of excitement before the big fights. The announcers usually end up telling you as much, because they know TV viewers can't very well hear it.

I've been pretty lucky here in PR, where they have frequent pro boxing cards. I had slacked off as of late 'cause, like I said, I don't like to go by myself. But I'm gonna start going more frequently now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Done York hall in the UK and the O2. Had ringside seats for both and were great. Done the t mobile arena for Kahn Canelo in the nosebleeds also great.

Always wanted to do the MGM grand garden or MSG but hasn't worked out... YET!!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Yeah... depending on where you sit, it can totally affect your viewing experience. I've been to boxing events in the Coliseo de Puerto Rico (big), the Roberto Clemente Coliseum (medium), and ones like last night in Trujillo Alto (small). Definitely the smaller venues have the advantage in that there isn't a bad seat in the house. I saw a Cotto fight once in the Coliseo de PR, and was sitting so far up, it was better looking at the screen. Definitely not a good experience.

The whole live experience is cool, though. On TV you don't appreciate the roar of the crowd, nor the buzz of excitement before the big fights. The announcers usually end up telling you as much, because they know TV viewers can't very well hear it.

I've been pretty lucky here in PR, where they have frequent pro boxing cards. I had slacked off as of late 'cause, like I said, I don't like to go by myself. But I'm gonna start going more frequently now.
    I lived in Portland, Oregon. I lived there most of my life. I moved around here and there but that’s definitely where I claim home. I live in Idaho now though.

I didn’t know you actually lived in Puerto Rico. For some reason I was thinking you lived in the states but were just Puerto Rican. That’s cool though.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I lived in Portland, Oregon. I lived there most of my life. I moved around here and there but that’s definitely where I claim home. I live in Idaho now though.

I didn’t know you actually lived in Puerto Rico. For some reason I was thinking you lived in the states but were just Puerto Rican. That’s cool though.

Yep....... lived in PR most of my life, with a few scattered stints in the States. Never saw any live boxing in the States, though.

Living in Idaho, you're probably less than an 8-hour drive from Vegas I would think.... so I imagine you could make it to an event there.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing like live boxing, especially with a group of mates, a great experience. Zayas looks the goods so far. Pity Matias slipped up with his training. PR has some decent upcoming talent, guys like Orlando Gonzalez-Ruiz and Henry Lebron-Gonzalez are worth keeping an eye on.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Nothing like live boxing, especially with a group of mates, a great experience. Zayas looks the goods so far. Pity Matias slipped up with his training. PR has some decent upcoming talent, guys like Orlando Gonzalez-Ruiz and Henry Lebron-Gonzalez are worth keeping an eye on.

I was surprised about Matias. He's got the raw talent to go very far. Let's hope he gets his head together. Still think maybe the Dadashev incident may still be affecting him.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is awesome stuff bud. To have a local base and following at home really brings to light a fight night atmosphere which is quite unique. Last "card" I saw was a gaggle of locals at one of the many festivals here where $10 got you a picnic bench and a sub par draft . I could really kick myself for missing Regis Prograis when he had two in a row out at the Lakefront but it was a rough time. Hopefully he comes back locally he had the media blowing up.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    That is awesome stuff bud. To have a local base and following at home really brings to light a fight night atmosphere which is quite unique. Last "card" I saw was a gaggle of locals at one of the many festivals here where $10 got you a picnic bench and a sub par draft . I could really kick myself for missing Regis Prograis when he had two in a row out at the Lakefront but it was a rough time. Hopefully he comes back locally he had the media blowing up.

I'm actually pretty fortunate because PR is a small island and if there's a boxing event out there, it's always within driving distance. Also, we have enough of a local boxing scene that there is always something going on. It's just me..... I've been kinda lazy in recent years and haven't "gotten the masses together" to go watch an event. Then when I go I always say... "Damn, we should do this more often!"

I was very pleasantly surprised here because I'd never been to that particular venue, and found that it was small and cozy, which means no bad seats. We paid $20/ticket for general admission, and yet the ring was super close. In fact I found that our seats were vastly superior to the ringside seats that were going for $40 each. Still not a major outlay, but for the price we got a lot better value from our seats.

Two alternating ring card girls, which seems to be the norm... ..... and as usual one of them got louder cheers than the other. I was able to see JuanMa Lopez and Luvi Callejas in their ringside seats, so that was cool also. The beer was nice and cold (Tecate)..... the drinks were good..... nothing to complain about, really.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't do that often because I have quite a distance to travel, but in Japan local support is always very loyal. I like to observe live actions, the atmosphere is secondary to me

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Live boxing is a drug; I've seen many people that had no interest going in leave starry eyed.
    I have seen fight from nosebleed seats, from lower seat, 3rd row and ringside. The closer the better. Nothing beats standing on the ring apron.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

live cards are the best
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Live is good only if you have good seat. Most people after 20th row start watching the big screen.

Thread Information