Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin

Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin fight date confirmed for May 2 at Manchester Arena

Dillian Whyte will fight Alexander Povetkin at Manchester Arena on May 2, Eddie Hearn has confirmed.

Whyte is the current WBC mandatory challenger, just one loss to Anthony Joshua tarnishing an otherwise perfect 28 fight record.

The Brit has opted for a stern challenge with a third Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder fight rendering the belt currently unavailable.

Povetkin has lost just twice in a 38-fight career, defeated by Anthony Joshua and Wladamir Klitschko. With the Russian now 40, the fight against Whyte surely represents his last chance for another shot at a world title.

Despite Povetkin coming to the end of his career, Whyte says he is not taking the challenge lightly.

“This is a great fight, he told Sky Sports. “Povetkin is an Olympic gold medallist, has loads of experience, he's a former world champion and he's only lost to Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko.

"I am not overlooking him. He will come in shape, he's tough and very well-schooled.

"I've got respect for him but I'm on to maximum violence, straight animal instinct."

Whyte will be fighting for the second time since he was provisionally and incorrectly suspended by the WBC over an alleged failed drugs test, overcoming Mariusz Wach in December.

His performance against the stubborn 6ft, 7in heavyweight giant was somewhat below par - understandable given the circumstances.

Though Povetkin was stopped in the seventh round by Joshua, he showed his class before defeating Brit Hughie Fury and earning a hard-fought draw against American Michael Hunter.

On the fight, he said: "I am pleased to fight Whyte, it has long been discussed but didn't happen for whatever reason.

“I am not about big announcements, I am about winning in the ring, and on May 2 people will see a spectacular fight."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/dil...170026262.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin

Not a massive fan of Whyte, but credit where credit is due, he constantly fights good guys. Povetkin might be getting on, but he is a tough fight for anyone,and if he comes in shape, he’d every chance in this one.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm thinking alexander might win here
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good fight! Whyte better come in top form and not that impression of Big Baby Miller he pulled last out. If he brings a jab I think he stops Povetkin.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whyte will smash Povetkin to bits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Povetkins is old and fragile now. If Hunter can hurt him, I think WhyIsuck can hurt him also. I still think Povetkin's skills are so much better even at 41 vs Whyte, and I pick him to stop Whyte within 3 rounds.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Whyte will smash Povetkin to bits.
    whyte couldn't even smash wach to bits
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should be a decent fight while it lasts but they both belong in the drug cheat/legacy thread also. Povetkin dangerous early but doesn't have the legs beneath him to maintain it any more.
    Last edited by Beanz; 03-05-2020 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Brain fart
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

who has looked worse off the drugs?

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's hard to dislike Dillian and all that he does. Loves a fight, mad as fuck. He's got a couple of asterisks against his name but like I said in the other thread, you almost have to plead ignorance to it and move on, so many of them 'at it'. It's not right, but.....

Dillian has earned his shot, been knocking on the door for a while now. Decent record. I don't see him as a threat to any of the top three to be honest. He'd give them an argument for sure but win? Not seeing it, just not good enough.

He should be getting past Povetkin. As beanz said Povetkin will be dangerous for a few rounds and Dillian will respect that. He should start to grind him down around half way for a final third stoppage.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both are steroid cheats, one also uses illegal gloves and the other is 10 years past his best. Don’t care. Call me crazy but the most important part of sport to me is being sporting. These dirtbags are not that.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whyte needs to be in much better shape, and for the challenge of Povetkin he probably will be. This seems like a tough fight for both guys.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whyte should win by ko Povetkin is passed his best it's a treading water fight for Whyte.
    A respectable opponent with a good record Dillian should be way too much for Povetkin one fighter on the up the other on the way down.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Whyte should win by ko Povetkin is passed his best it's a treading water fight for Whyte.
    A respectable opponent with a good record Dillian should be way too much for Povetkin one fighter on the up the other on the way down.
    Whyte hasn't looked good of late. Parker had him out at the end of their fight, he had to go to war with Chisora for 11 rounds. The whole Rivas debacle and was down in that fight as well, was over-weight and unimpressive against Wach. This could be quite an evenly matched fight.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just bought tickets to this fight...knowing my luck the whole fucking thing will be canned cos of coronavirus ffs

Thread Information