Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ring Champion - New Boxing Game in Development

Hi all!

This is a post to let you boxing fans know that we are currently developing Ring Champion - a realistic boxing simulation for PC (Steam), XboxONE and PS4.

So, a little about us: We are an Indie Development Studio based in Sheffield, England, coming from a very boxing rich environment! We also have the former British and European champion - Ryan Rhodes as our local technical boxing consultant.

If you have any specific requests in terms of what you would like to see in your ideal boxing game, feel free to let us know! we will be releasing some footage and a trailer soon !.

If you would like to keep up to date on progress, please follow our twitter account which has just been created, so will be posting some content in the coming weeks. Twitter: SteelCityInteractive

Ash
    Last edited by SteelCityInteractive; 03-04-2020 at 03:36 AM.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ring Champion - New Boxing Game in Development

Cheers Ash.

Great to see UK based gaming companies with our track record in the sector.

Career mode. Fighter specific special moves. Training mode. Ability to select ringwalk music from your play list. Legends era specific mode with eras rules (15 rounds etc).
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers a boxing game is long overdue for the ps4.

I've played them all going back 30 years - jesus thats a long time.

So in no particular order :-

- career mode with ability to create own fighter and take him online
    - different fight styles and weight classes
    - Training
    - real fighters not crucial if the gameplay is good enough and has the good fictional characters (eg Isaac Frost, the main fighters in Victory Boxing in late 90s on PS1)
    - CRUCIAL for me is the existence of a one punch knockout. Never seen this in a game before or since Knockout Kings 2001. You could turn a fight with one punch late on or even win a fight with first punch (I'll never forget kayoing my brother who was using Hagler just 6 seconds into a fight - he was out cold with no response at all to button bashing to try get up). Ok it shouldn't happen all the time but it's a big part of the sport and needs to be in there. All games since, though they do have flash knockdowns, have allowed you to get up easily at least twice then becomes a skill to get up beyond that. I had a mate on last Fight Night champion who had perfected getting up and you knew he could even get up from a 5th knockdown. I struggled on the 3rd. Fair play but that's not realism !!

Basically its all in the gameplay !
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Cheers a boxing game is long overdue for the ps4.

I've played them all going back 30 years - jesus thats a long time.

So in no particular order :-

- career mode with ability to create own fighter and take him online
    - different fight styles and weight classes
    - Training
    - real fighters not crucial if the gameplay is good enough and has the good fictional characters (eg Isaac Frost, the main fighters in Victory Boxing in late 90s on PS1)
    - CRUCIAL for me is the existence of a one punch knockout. Never seen this in a game before or since Knockout Kings 2001. You could turn a fight with one punch late on or even win a fight with first punch (I'll never forget kayoing my brother who was using Hagler just 6 seconds into a fight - he was out cold with no response at all to button bashing to try get up). Ok it shouldn't happen all the time but it's a big part of the sport and needs to be in there. All games since, though they do have flash knockdowns, have allowed you to get up easily at least twice then becomes a skill to get up beyond that. I had a mate on last Fight Night champion who had perfected getting up and you knew he could even get up from a 5th knockdown. I struggled on the 3rd. Fair play but that's not realism !!

Basically its all in the gameplay !
    Fight Night Champion does have one punch KO's but they are incredibly rare, I still play the game weekly and I've only had maybe 3 in the 10 years that I've been playing it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

as in first time you'd knocked someone down and they couldn't even move ? Even so 3 in 10 years is not good enough. It will be a difficult one to get right for sure.

Not sure how old you are but if you ever played Barbarian on the Spectrum and kept getting taken out by someone you were dominating but they kept attempting the head chop till they got you, you will know what I mean !

really wish I'd kept my PS3 for this game alone. Never thought we'd be waiting this long for a game.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah one punch and the fight is over without a count, one happened when I sparked my mate with the very first punch of the fight when we were playing against each other, he was fucking livid.

I only really started playing the boxing games when knockout kings came out.

Only reason I still have a PS3 is fight night champion.saying that the mate that I one punch KO'd borrowed my console a few weeks back just so he could play it again, I've gotta get it back off him soon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By own styles i.e. stay on the outside, faster / inside / use jab a lot / weak chin etc etc

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Yeah one punch and the fight is over without a count, one happened when I sparked my mate with the very first punch of the fight when we were playing against each other, he was fucking livid.
    I have had only one of those in all the years, I was amazed when it happened :S second round or something like that.

One punch KO must be pretty difficult to balance well for a game, fight night had all the sliders to adjust punch power, speed and stamina of tte general game play, that was a good thing to have.

I'd hope in a new game different fighters when controlled by the ai would fight in different manners, some cautious some crazy, some smart and some stupid(even if they have high ratings for physical stats)

And of course include toe injuries or being too tired if you have an extravagent ring Walk.. Real problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you all for your responses, I'll try and answer / give an update with regards to the features you've requested, the Yes/No is in regard to what's already been developed, and is already in the game:

Career mode - Yes
    Fighter specific special moves - Yes. This will be done in a unique way
    Training mode - Yes
    Ability to select ringwalk music - Yes
    Legends era specific mode with eras rules (15 rounds etc) - No. But I like this idea !
    Career mode with ability to create own fighter and take him online - Yes
    Different fight styles and weight classes - Yes
    Real fighters not crucial if the gameplay is good enough and has the good fictional characters - Yes - This will be a mixture
    CRUCIAL for me is the existence of a one punch knockout - Yes
    I'd hope in a new game different fighters when controlled by the ai would fight in different manners... - Yes
    And of course include toe injuries or being too tired if you have an extravagant ring Walk.. Real problems - Not quite! Without giving too much away....we will give you the option to select the most ridiculous ring walk ever..... and it happened right here in the UK !

p.s What a game Barbarian was....I used to love watching the little guy kick the head away !

Thanks again for your responses.

Cheers,
    Ash

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityInteractive View Post
    Thank you all for your responses, I'll try and answer / give an update with regards to the features you've requested, the Yes/No is in regard to what's already been developed, and is already in the game:

Career mode - Yes
    Fighter specific special moves - Yes. This will be done in a unique way
    Training mode - Yes
    Ability to select ringwalk music - Yes
    Legends era specific mode with eras rules (15 rounds etc) - No. But I like this idea !
    Career mode with ability to create own fighter and take him online - Yes
    Different fight styles and weight classes - Yes
    Real fighters not crucial if the gameplay is good enough and has the good fictional characters - Yes - This will be a mixture
    CRUCIAL for me is the existence of a one punch knockout - Yes
    I'd hope in a new game different fighters when controlled by the ai would fight in different manners... - Yes
    And of course include toe injuries or being too tired if you have an extravagant ring Walk.. Real problems - Not quite! Without giving too much away....we will give you the option to select the most ridiculous ring walk ever..... and it happened right here in the UK !

p.s What a game Barbarian was....I used to love watching the little guy kick the head away !

Thanks again for your responses.

Cheers,
    Ash
    Ha! Yes used to play Barbarian on the Amiga
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And damage that can be instant eg cuts rather than builds up over several rounds - ok swelling is gradual !

To be fair fight night champion in terms of game play wasn't far off the mark though was open to abuse by body spammers.

And realistic fight records for the best fictional fighters. When your top 5 guys (can't remember which game it was) have records like 32-12-1 it's a bit pants.

I'm a perfectionist for boxing and football games, been playing them 38 years now. Jesus...........

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Long overdue a decent boxing game.

I’ve stopped playing the xbox after the demise of fight night champion and moved over to the VR headset (quest) for boxing games.

Please make it just as good as fight night champion and add Ward And Mayweather..if possible.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just refound this thread after reading Smash’s update.

Any rough idea on a release date - I know everything is arse over tit at moment but a rough idea ??

I’m guessing that crazy ring walk was that cocky Asian lad who got lamped.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's been delayed so they can get it right but this game is starting to look like the complete package.

Check out the gameplay.

Roster looking good and now they've announce Fury

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very impressed with it.

Same controls as fight night champion.

Hopefully Floyd and Andre Ward are in there?

Thread Information