Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
Hunter's draw with Povetkin is stronger form than anything Ortiz has done. He's in his prime, just held his own with a former "champ" and perennial top 10 heavyweight and gave Uysk (P4Per) his most competitive fight to date (IMO).

Ortiz best win - Jennings - has just been schooled by a prospect and prior to that ironed out by Rivas (10th). Ortiz fought him on the back of a loss. Ortiz best recent victory is over Hammer (a man Povetkin beat with ease who wouldn't rank in his top ten best wins). So whether we use recent form or backdated stuff Povetkin trumps Ortiz at every turn... unless, of course, we are crediting Ortiz for being Wilder's claim to fame (which is obvious).

So lets play that game.

Ortiz - best fighter faced = Wilder
Povetkin - best fighter faced = Wlad/AJ
Hunter - best fighter faced = Uysk (Povetkin at heavy)
Jennings - best fighter faced = Wlad

You see? We have a pattern forming here where Ortiz and Wilder are isolated whilst the others have all competed against first ballot HOF-ers and genuine champs.

My argument isn't about "what could have been" or "should have been" it's purely about "what has happened." Fact. And guess what? If you disagree with my reasoning that's cool and the gang.
I see Briedis as Usyk’s toughest fight.

If we go back to 2015 (even that is generous for a current evaluation of ranking), we have Ortiz with wins over Jennings, Thompson, Scott and Hammer. Povetkin has Perez, Wach, Duhaupas, Hammer, Price and Hughie Fury. You could give Povetkin the slight edge there. Ortiz has suffered 2 losses to Wilder in that time and Povetkin has the loss to Joshua and the draw with Hunter (which I felt he lost). Most here would still rate Wilder highly in the division. So, for me the ‘loss’ to Hunter (who was more than likely outside most top 10s coming into the Povtkin fight) just keeps Ortiz above Povetkin. I'm not disagreeing with your thought process, just giving my own considerations.