Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Corona virus killing sports at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I have no idea what I'm going to do this afternoon between 1 and 5.
    I'm watching the fucking Lion King, was looking forward to the new F1 season more than anything and that's been cancelled, football has been cancelled, I was going to watch A Quiet Place 2 next weekend and that's been cancelled.

And to top it off I can't buy any bog roll, I've got enough to last me till Monday but if I can't get any from Town then I will have to make sure I take my shits whilst at work, if I get caught short at home I'll just have to jump in the shower to clean myself off.
    Fuck all wrong with Lion King!
    Watched it yesterday too!

Nothing else to do, got no excuse for not doing the odd jobs around the house.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember guys all sports for us is entertainment picking your nose or being bored it's going to be months before we return to some normality.
    We all wonder what the future holds well we can shoot the shit on here can't we. 🤮😁🤧

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rugby commentator Nick Heath has started doing running commentary of everyday events - Crossroad Dash, Mundane Walk, etc

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2020/03/20...28tX2zBQmu556U
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m hoping that once this all slows down that we have good fights for a few months straight

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl Frampton 'doubts' world title fight with Jamel Herring will happen in June

Northern Ireland's Carl Frampton says he "very much doubts" that his super-featherweight world title fight with Jamel Herring will take place in June.

Promoter Frank Warren said this week that an agreement had been reached for the fighters to meet in Belfast.

"There are a lot more important things to be worrying about," said Frampton in reference to the coronavirus crisis.

"It wouldn't be fair on either fighter to prepare for a world title fight in circumstances like this."

Former two-weight world champion Frampton is currently training at his home gym alone rather than working with his trainer Jamie Moore in Manchester.

With the enforcement of social distancing, boxers' training plans are significantly affected as sparring and pad work are among fundamental elements of any pre-fight camp that are unfeasible.

"It's very difficult to work on tactics and a game plan without a trainer," said 33-year-old Frampton, who is hoping to become Ireland's only three-weight world champion.

"I very much doubt the Herring fight will happen in June, but I am training now as if it is, until I hear otherwise."

The 2016 'Ring Magazine fighter of the year' acknowledges that he is in a fortunate position, but that many non-elite boxers who need fight purses to survive have had bills cancelled over March and April.

"The British Boxing Board of Control needs to come together with the promoters and devise some sort of plan for self-employed boxers at this difficult time," Frampton said.

"There is more chance and more likelihood of the bigger fights taking place behind closed doors rather than smaller fights because TV covers a lot of money, but at this time everyone is in limbo and doesn't know what is going on."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51976528

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Be curious how many boxing gyms survive this.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Be curious how many boxing gyms survive this.
    Yes they are closed but government should help which they have promised as they provide important work in the community.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Entirely different way when you start hearing of former and current fighters testing positive for it. Former bomb thrower hvy Derrick Jefferson and Travis Kauffman apparently feeling it right now.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There has been a few computer game based virtual boxing tournaments. The World Series one was pretty dire and unwatchable though, bloody Haye vs Old Version of Foreman in the quarter final. Jeez.

There is a virtual Grand National on next week where they are resurrecting Red Rum to compete (:

They should re-run the 2012 Olympics on UK TV. I have forgotten most of it. Unlike nearly any footy tournament where we all know when we crashed out.

66?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Coronavirus: Whyte-Povetkin and Usyk-Chisora called off

The heavyweight fights between Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetkin and Oleksandr Usyk and Dereck Chisora have been called off due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Whyte was due to step into the ring with Povetkin for an interim WBC heavyweight world title showdown at the Manchester Arena on May 2, but the fight will not go ahead.

The British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) on Monday further extended its suspension of boxing events until the end of May, with the United Kingdom in lockdown.

Matchroom Boxing stated that the bout has been rescheduled for July 4, although that is subject to how long the ongoing crisis lasts for.

Usyk was set to do battle with Chisora at The O2 in London on May 23, but that has also been called off and no new date has been agreed.

A BBBofC statement said: "The British Boxing Board of Control has further extended its suspension of boxing tournaments under its jurisdiction for the month of May.

"We will continue to follow the government and medical authorities' advice and keep the situation under review, and when possible explore all options available to find a way of lifting the suspension when conditions permit."

Katie Taylor's world title showdown with Amanda Serrano was due to be on the undercard for Whyte's battle with Povetkin.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/cor...145559787.html

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My friend has a gym in San Antonio and he trains 5 or 6 pro boxers. He shut down the gym but he and the pros were meeting at a park to run and workout. A local newspaper came out and did a story about them and I think it resulted in them being shut down at the park, too.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    My friend has a gym in San Antonio and he trains 5 or 6 pro boxers. He shut down the gym but he and the pros were meeting at a park to run and workout. A local newspaper came out and did a story about them and I think it resulted in them being shut down at the park, too.
    Shame. They should train alone and I think this is a good time to stay fit and in shape with so little else to do and no distractions.

Dillion Whyte will be as fit as he will ever be and will probably think he should go into self isolation all the time.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-coronavirus

"Tokyo Olympics Rescheduled for July to August 2021 Due to Coronavirus"

They really had no choice. It'll be truly astounding when we look back on this and the magnitude of every that has changed.

First time since WWII in '40 and '44.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-coronavirus

"Tokyo Olympics Rescheduled for July to August 2021 Due to Coronavirus"

They really had no choice. It'll be truly astounding when we look back on this and the magnitude of every that has changed.

First time since WWII in '40 and '44.
    The Olympics had dragged their feet making this decision which was obvious. They wanted the money. This will impact on the Commonwealth Games which were due to take place in Birmingham.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched a vid of an entire marble race today. I'm desperate. I think networks are dropping the ball by not picking up 'live' sports or activities that don't require close contact. Bowling. Darts. Skeet Shooting . Drag racing. Home Run derby. Bikini contests. Pie eating competitions. Ffs get creative people!

Thread Information