530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Corona virus killing sports at the moment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ten...id=mailsignout

"Wimbledon canceled in 2020 due to coronavirus pandemic"

Major sporting events falling like dominoes....

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ten...id=mailsignout

"Wimbledon canceled in 2020 due to coronavirus pandemic"

Major sporting events falling like dominoes....
    They are rich beyond compare and the grass season is very short so there was little choice in the matter.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only sporting event I don’t mind being cancelled is the olympics. I feel bad for the athletes but the IOC is such a corrupt organization I’m glad they have a time out.

The rest of this is really sucking. Some good news hospital numbers out of New York just started decreasing. Too early to say it’s a trend but hopefully.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    The only sporting event I don’t mind being cancelled is the olympics. I feel bad for the athletes but the IOC is such a corrupt organization I’m glad they have a time out.

The rest of this is really sucking. Some good news hospital numbers out of New York just started decreasing. Too early to say it’s a trend but hopefully.
    Spain's death rate has gone down as well.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They did a wrestling ppv apparently with no audience. Saw a clip earlier and it was pretty surreal. It's all scripted to begin with but can't imagine the 'athletes' can be happy about a flat empty atmosphere. Said it earlier but why not do wide scale use of webcams or virtual feeds and crank up the volume.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    They did a wrestling ppv apparently with no audience. Saw a clip earlier and it was pretty surreal. It's all scripted to begin with but can't imagine the 'athletes' can be happy about a flat empty atmosphere. Said it earlier but why not do wide scale use of webcams or virtual feeds and crank up the volume.
    WWE is not letting up. The problem is that wrestling is all about the crowd. It’s a performance. The crowd makes the performance. I saw little clips of it too and it just looked like two guys practicing.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They had a virtual grand national horse race on the other day and the bookies gave the millions of pounds in profit to NHS.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can’t take wrestling but I know it has a big following. I tried looking up the numbers to see how the match did on ppv sales out of curiosity but couldn’t find it and I’m not curious enough to do a lot of research but it was probably a good idea. If your a fan and your looking for distraction why not. I wouldn’t have an issue if they did this with boxing, it’s not ideal but at least it’s a live match

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I can’t take wrestling but I know it has a big following. I tried looking up the numbers to see how the match did on ppv sales out of curiosity but couldn’t find it and I’m not curious enough to do a lot of research but it was probably a good idea. If your a fan and your looking for distraction why not. I wouldn’t have an issue if they did this with boxing, it’s not ideal but at least it’s a live match
    Yeh it was pretty big at one time and sometimes have it on with the nephews at background noise. Saw one that was a real trip. It was live and they're wrestling and when they went to commercial all the wrestlers aka adversaries and teams just stopped in mid performance and stood around talking . Figure with no live audiences they just break character..the camera cues back up and its right back into the script grunting and scowling. But as far as sports or live entertainment it's empty out there. I mean how would tennis really be that risky? I almost tried watching live Conan doing shows from his house

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I miss boxing

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was actually looking forward to the UFC card. It was at least something. Now it’s cancelled

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Coronavirus lockdown may lead to fights being made faster

The coronavirus pandemic could give boxing "a kick up the backside" when it comes to making fights in the future, according to trainer Dominic Ingle, even if the sport has to wait until September at the earliest for a return to action.

With countries on lockdown because of the global health crisis, bouts scheduled for May, June and July have all been postponed, and there is no clear indication when the situation will improve enough for cards to be scheduled again in 2020.

Along with the continued uncertainty over fight dates, boxers are also having to make do with staying busy at home because of social distancing restrictions.

A lack of gym time — denying the opportunity to get in pivotal sparring rounds during a training camp — could lead to further delays, though Ingle believes the enforced break may result in a fresh outlook when it comes to negotiating fights, considering the time already lost this year.

"It's a wait-and-see time," Ingle told Stats Perform.

"Let's say we get to the end of May and the lockdown is lifted, and the fighters have been training anyway, it still gives you about six weeks up to boxing's summer break," he added.

"They're probably going to be fit enough, but they want to be in the gyms sparring. For us, six weeks is about right, but others will want to do more rounds sparring and a lot more gym work. Our fighters could be ready in six weeks, because we don't do a lot of sparring anyway.

"Realistically, though, you're looking at the beginning of September."

On matchmaking, he added: "It may give everyone a kick up the backside to get things moving quicker.

"When you've got a job to do, sometimes you think you've got all the time in the world to do it. This [lockdown] will make people realize that time is of the essence, though.

"It has probably made people see that you can't waste time, whether that's in your career or in life in general."

Staging sporting events being behind closed doors has been talked about as a way of restarting sooner; events would be broadcast to an audience watching from home. Ingle is not so keen on that idea for boxing.

"That kind of defeats the object," he said. "We need an atmosphere at fights, and you're going to need officials anyway, plus a lot of people in the background to make sure the show still works."

"When it [the lockdown] first happened, I thought we were all taking it lightly," Ingle added. "Then the realization kind of hits home. Going into it, people had a bit of a lackadaisical attitude. I think coming out of it, people will be the same.

"They will think things will get back to normal quickly, that we will just be able to put on shows. That's wishful thinking, for me. Realistically, and logistically, I don't think it's going to work like that."

The famous Ingle gym in Sheffield, England, would normally include Kell Brook, Kid Galahad and Liam Williams among the regular visitors, but the threat of COVID-19 has forced the trainer to keep track of his stable from afar.

"They've all got workouts to do. We've got them on GPS monitors, so we can see what they are doing and can give them their workouts," Ingle explained. "They do their runs to keep their fitness up, so they will be all right.

"I go 12 to 16 weeks without getting paid, because we get paid at the end of a camp when the fights happen. That's how we've always operated. We have money in reserve, but, for us, this is like another training camp.

"They are always training, obviously, but there is normally a concentrated effort for 10 to 12 weeks [before a bout]. It's almost like we live on lockdown anyway then, as we can't have a social life during that time. You have to be in bed early and get up early, so you are kind of used to this."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/dom...214128971.html

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No insult intended, clearly the USA has botched this Covid-19 situation worse than anyone so not coming from a position of superiority but...,

Why are the UK and France not testing?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a promoter up here advertising a 21 bout card for August. I fully expect states like Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas to be open well before that.

Thread Information