Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Studio Boxing? A short term solution

Is this better than no boxing at all? With large public gatherings being banned all over Arum is going for it and Matchroom have not ruled it out.

It could help the sport tick over and give the forum fight night thread opportunities on weekends on which without them there would be none.

https://fightnews.com/studio-shows-a...m-answer/71319
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Studio Boxing? A short term solution

Boxing cards have been canceled here in Puerto Rico... hopefully for the short term only. I would imagine if this drags on, sporting events without live audiences may begin to pick up, so as to not punish the athletes and also provide the entertainment fans are longing for. This of course would include boxing. Wow what timing for me personally. I had recently gone to my first live boxing event in years, and we were getting stoked to go to the next one, in the same venue. Who would've guessed this set of circumstances?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned it yesterday but this is what that early Dazn Jarrell Miller card felt like . There were maybe a couple hundred fans and this darkened empty atmosphere. Was thinking since it's all streaming you could basically stage a studio setting, zero money out for advertising for networks or venues . I think ultimately holding live cards in studio settings would really boil down to the fighters. Can imagine legal issues coming into play with contracts, venues and so much money already put out well before hand. The higher the profile of a guy the diva mindset kicks in maybe as to what they'll 'preform' for. Can't imagine the whole point of Inoue Vegas debut as main headliner and he might as well be fighting in an empty gym. Then again pre undercards and the 4 rounders fight in front of near empty arenas all the time. If they want to get real weird with it just roll in a few hundred screens like they use in remote virtual Courts or Hospital settings and circle the ring . It's weird. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they go forward short term and we'll all be along for the ride.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go for it as a short term solution. Fighters have to earn a living and the big promoters do not have to rely on punters but TV money for their shows anyway.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The next year will be a chance for E Sports to gain a big foothold.

If only we had a boxing game for PS4 and Xbox one.....
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They used to do that with pro wrestling when I was a kid.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Missed this originally Grey but thinking about it over the weekend. Wrestling has seemingly gone back to it's roots, complete with pre recorded mini theme matches that apparently their fans ate up. I'll admit it watching two people aka athletes aka entertainers working a match to empty seats is an eye opening trip. Man these people can act their arses off

I just don't it. It's boxing. The same individuality and 'small' scale..compared to franchise team sports..may be the very thing that gives them opportunity to preform. Worse case ok so no live crowd in the short term, but the fight the ref the judging are all to real not scripted so tv or stream fans are there. They'll be revenue loss minus live gate concessions and live fan coin but maybe short term loss/long term profit? Just wonder the longer this goes who will be the first Promoter seeking out a more lenient less impacted State and try to make some matches. Work out pre testing and numbers working a corner and hold it ala Apollo and Balboa like end of Rocky III. Not all and not even most fights but eventually we have to dip our toe back into the pool.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 04-08-2020 at 03:51 AM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the moment it is not happening because of the virus but also the NHS need the doctors and ambulances which these bouts would take away. This is what Eddie Hearn has said but eventually these studio fights will happen. Boxing makes most of its money from TV and PPV now.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Missed this originally Grey but thinking about it over the weekend. Wrestling has seemingly gone back to it's roots, complete with pre recorded mini theme matches that apparently their fans ate up. I'll admit it watching two people aka athletes aka entertainers working a match to empty seats is an eye opening trip. Man these people can act their arses off

I just don't it. It's boxing. The same individuality and 'small' scale..compared to franchise team sports..may be the very thing that gives them opportunity to preform. Worse case ok so no live crowd in the short term, but the fight the ref the judging are all to real not scripted so tv or stream fans are there. They'll be revenue loss minus live gate concessions and live fan coin but maybe short term loss/long term profit? Just wonder the longer this goes who will be the first Promoter seeking out a more lenient less impacted State and try to make some matches. Work out pre testing and numbers working a corner and hold it ala Apollo and Balboa like end of Rocky III. Not all and not even most fights but eventually we have to dip our toe back into the pool.
    There is promoter/agent based in Fort Lauderdale that is expecting to be doing shows mid May, and some people I know are excited because boxing in Japan is rumored to be starting up in 5-6 weeks. If either of those turn out to be true, or what form they will take, remains to be seen.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    At the moment it is not happening because of the virus but also the NHS need the doctors and ambulances which these bouts would take away. This is what Eddie Hearn has said but eventually these studio fights will happen. Boxing makes most of its money from TV and PPV now.
    That's an excellent point, I didn't even think about that . lack of first responders and also how many healthy boxers would want to open themselves up to a possible required post fight Hospital visit in this environment.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a fucking chance any Boxing happens anytime soon.

No ringside medical staff/emergency hospital visits = No boxing

Simple as that.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

There is promoter/agent based in Fort Lauderdale that is expecting to be doing shows mid May, and some people I know are excited because boxing in Japan is rumored to be starting up in 5-6 weeks. If either of those turn out to be true, or what form they will take, remains to be seen.
    They have an MMA event right around the corner from me scheduled for April 28th. I’ve dealt with the promoter in the past, we were putting an event on for him and the day before the event we canceled it because he still hadn’t gotten proper permits, around 4pm he got them and it was back on. We ended up in a rush to provide security because he hadn’t planned that, medical support etcetera. Small timers can’t be trusted. Our county has the largest number of cases in our state and this event is still planned. Absolutely no way to get permits because the courthouses are closed. We think Arum is bad, he’s nothing compared to small timers.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Is this better than no boxing at all? With large public gatherings being banned all over Arum is going for it and Matchroom have not ruled it out.

It could help the sport tick over and give the forum fight night thread opportunities on weekends on which without them there would be none.

Part of the allure of stadium sports, well all sports, is the interaction with the fans and the roar of the crowd. Other than that it is just like watching someone work out in the gym.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

Part of the allure of stadium sports, well all sports, is the interaction with the fans and the roar of the crowd. Other than that it is just like watching someone work out in the gym.
    This is so weird to me. You couldn’t pay me to go to a stadium fight because I want to see the fight. But if the crowd is what you’re into rather than the sport, have at it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

This is so weird to me. You couldn’t pay me to go to a stadium fight because I want to see the fight. But if the crowd is what you’re into rather than the sport, have at it.
    There's definitely an ambiance and background to live interactions in sport. From complete silence to unhinged reaction when a huge play happens. You still have the suddenness with an empty arena but a live passionate crowd losing their minds just as you are reacting adds a little something. It's like doing a rbr alone otherwise . Have to imagine it would be really odd for fighters too whos whole thing untill then was attracting fan followings and playing to them for better or for worse.

Thread Information