Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Carl Froch v GGG

Carl Froch reveals why Gennady Golovkin fight talks failed, insists he would’ve won by knockout

Carl Froch’s last fight came when he famously knocked out George Groves in front of 80,000 fans at Wembley Stadium in 2014.

However, at the time there were a couple of other potential opponents who nearly lured him back for one last hurrah.

A potential Julio Cesar Chavez Jr bout in Las Vegas fell through for 2015 and then talk turned to a possible clash with middleweight beast Gennady Golovkin.

When asked how he’d have fared in the fantasy match-up, Froch said on his Froch on Fighting Podcast: “This is only gonna take five seconds – too big and too strong.

“Back him up, back him up, mess him up.

“When you’re too big for somebody and too strong for somebody, I don’t care that he can punch hard because I can take a punch.

“He’s not gonna be hitting me with 100 big stinking right hands clean on the chin because I’m gonna move out the way of most of them or block most of them.

“When I lost to Mikkel Kessler, I then fought Arthur Abraham, he was knocking everybody over. He is big and strong, quite a stocky guy, he can punch hard, knocked most people out.

“He was a ‘monster puncher’, but I think I got hit once or twice the whole fight. Totally outboxed him and outclassed him and outmanoeuvred him.

“And the tactics would be the same for Golovkin because I’ve got height and reach on him and I can box.

“People think I’m just a warmonger and I like to stand there and take shots to land shots, but I won two ABA titles, I won a medal in the World Championships, so I have got boxing ability.

“If I use my boxing ability with my tenactiy and my nasty mindset, I could keep myself out of harm’s way with my reach and put shots together when I have to.

“I’ve met Golovkin, he’s about four or five inches shorter than me. I shook his hand and it felt like I was shaking the hand of a wet lettuce.

“I just feel like he’s too small, not tough enough- Alright he can punch hard, but Martin Murray took him eleven rounds.

“No disrespect to Martin Murray, but he’s a domestic level fighter.

“Them fighters don’t last three/four rounds with me, they get beat up.

“So a fight with Golovkin – and I’m not just being big-headed or overselling myself – I always thought, and Rob McCracken always said, ‘You’re too much for Golovkin.’

“He’s not a super-middleweight, he’s not big enough.”

Froch then went on to explain why the fight didn’t happen: “We were in talks with his manager. They were trying to get me down to 166lbs.

“That don’t sound like much weight, 2lbs below the 12 stone [super-middleweight] limit. I was a machine at 12 stone…

“I could not have lost another 2lbs and performed. They were just trying to drag me down that bit further.

“I just said, ‘Look, let’s make the fight and make it at 12 stone. You think you’re too much for me, you’ll back me up and knock me out, let’s do it at 12 stone.’

“Don’t forget I was out the ring, this was after I’d been retired a year, then the talks started to get a bit serious.

“They were just trying to drag me down to a weight division I wouldn’t have been able to do it in.

“At the time when we were talking, I was 13 stone 4lbs, a lifetime heaviest, so I’ve got to get myself down to 12 stone which would’ve been hard.

“And they were trying to drag me down even further and that’s why the fight didn’t happen.”

Making a final prediction, Froch said: “In my opinion I’d beat him up because I’m too big and too strong for him. I might be wrong, we’ll never know, but I would back myself to be beat him.

“There will be a lot of people listening to this saying, ‘No, no, no, load of b*****ks, Golovkin would beat you. Eventually Golovkin’s power would tell, he’d land on you, he’d hurt you, break you down and stop you.’

“What I’d say to that is I’ve never been stopped, I’ve only ever been put down twice in my career and I got up to win both times.

“You can say either of us are a clear winner. I think I beat him by stoppage. I’d be hitting him that much, that hard.

“A little bit like the Lucian Bute fight, back him up to the ropes, back him up, smash him to bits, you know how I roll.

“What a great fight that would’ve been, and I’m man enough to admit I could’ve come unstuck.

“I could’ve got my nose broke, I could’ve got my eye cut and been blinded in one eye, I could’ve even got ironed out.

“I never think I’d be knocked out because I’ve been hit with some big, big shots in my career and I’ve felt them, but they never bothered me that much.

“I’ve never been flattened like Amir Khan, have I?”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/6...vkin-knockout/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Carl Froch v GGG

At the time , GGG would’ve beat him. I don’t believe they asked Froch to go to 166lb. I reckon he’s bullshitting.
    I remember Froch announcing his retirement because he couldn’t get the Chavez jr fight in Vegas, and he wouldn’t consider anything else. 3 days AFTER He retires, he’s shows a picture of his torso on social media saying “Too big and Strong for GGG.”
    Why did he wait till after he retired? Tool.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why does Froch come across as an arrogant prick. He should have re-matched Ward.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Why does Froch come across as an arrogant prick. He should have re-matched Ward.
    Probably because he is an arrogant prick. Froch had very little left after he beat Groves so he would never have taken Ward in a rematch but it would have been interesting against Triple G.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think there is some validity to what Froch said- size matters. GGG was murderous puncher and very strong, but I didn’t think he was a very big middleweight. When he fought Canelo, they were pretty much the same size and Canelo was a 154 pounder. Froch was big for 168, so I’m not sure GGG’s punches have the same affect on him as they did everyone else at 160.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If the GGG fight had been arranged Froch would have mysteriously had his bike nicked and so missed the signing day.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    At the time , GGG would’ve beat him. I don’t believe they asked Froch to go to 166lb. I reckon he’s bullshitting.
    I remember Froch announcing his retirement because he couldn’t get the Chavez jr fight in Vegas, and he wouldn’t consider anything else. 3 days AFTER He retires, he’s shows a picture of his torso on social media saying “Too big and Strong for GGG.”
    Why did he wait till after he retired? Tool.
    Here’s Froch saying the same thing in 2016, I can’t seem to find anything of GGG or his team denying it in the years since. I can also get you a Froch saying this in 2017 if you like, still not rebutted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.exp...ght-weight/amp

But it’s cool, you reckon something so just say it. Nobody cares about evidence around here. Let’s all just reckon

For fun let’s add GGG asking Ward to come from 172 down to 164 at basically the same time

http://thaboxingvoice.com/ward-rejects-164-lb-catch-weight-for-golovkin-fight/48092/

But let’s ignore that similar evidence and reckon. GGG, the most excused fighter in history
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 03-23-2020 at 04:48 AM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch was outboxed quite frequently and a comparison with Abraham is silly as the styles are nothing alike. Abraham would throw 20 punches a round and give up rounds too. A better comparison is Taylor who just didn't have a great chin.

Froch is bigger so might last the distance, but his defence is poor and GGG would outbox him. I can't see him stopping GGG so it would likely be a GGG decision or more likely a GGG stoppage as you cannot be porous like Froch and not take punishment.

Froch was fun, but he was a level below for me. The fact that he was made him fun as he did lose rounds and it made interesting fights that way. I like that Froch seems to believe in himself but he never took the fight.

Who wastes their time looking for Chavez Jnr? Waste of time. That's a Canelo move and he lost to GGG twice too.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    But it’s cool, you reckon something so just say it. Nobody cares about evidence around here. Let’s all just reckon
    Where's your 'evidence' that Dillian Whyte used illegal gloves? Your buddy saying it's so..........doesn't make it so. What happened with their appeal/complaint to the WBC?

Your 'evidence' also suggests that Froch played the weight game first no?
    ‘fight me at 172lbs and I’ll think about it’
    We just ignoring that part?

Here's 'evidence' that Froch didn't want the fight because GGG might unpretty his nose again

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/5...in-carl-froch/

Here's 'evidence' that weight wasn't an issue

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-gggs-promoter
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Froch was outboxed quite frequently and a comparison with Abraham is silly as the styles are nothing alike. Abraham would throw 20 punches a round and give up rounds too. A better comparison is Taylor who just didn't have a great chin.

Froch is bigger so might last the distance, but his defence is poor and GGG would outbox him. I can't see him stopping GGG so it would likely be a GGG decision or more likely a GGG stoppage as you cannot be porous like Froch and not take punishment.

Froch was fun, but he was a level below for me. The fact that he was made him fun as he did lose rounds and it made interesting fights that way. I like that Froch seems to believe in himself but he never took the fight.

Who wastes their time looking for Chavez Jnr? Waste of time. That's a Canelo move and he lost to GGG twice too.
    I personally think Abraham is a better comparison than Taylor simply due to the size similarities. Agree that their styles weren’t similar but Taylor fought nothing like GGG and was much longer and bigger. GGG has dimensions to his game, so would have been interesting to see if he could outbox the longer Froch like he did vs Canelo. I don’t see that happening and think the size difference was a bit too much, but I may be wrong.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This would have been an exciting fight.

GGG is actually a small middleweight, whereas Froch was a seriously big supermiddle. Froch had that iron chin and the will to go to war. It's feasible he could have bullied and overwhelmed Golovkin, using his size and strength to hand out a messy battering.

I doubt it though.

Golovkin, in his prime, was a fearsome proposition. A genuinely elite fighter. He certainly had freakish power, and I think he hits harder than Groves. He had world class boxing skills too which is often forgotten.

I think he uses his technique and strange punching angles to hurt Froch early. Once Froch is that little bit more wary, GGG uses his superior boxing skills to pile up the points and dominate a cagey boxing match where both guys are respectful of the other's strengths.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information