Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rank your top 5 fights you want the most right now

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I think that on the night Bowe beat Evander ( first fight), he would have been difficult for any heavyweight in history. Bowe was in great shape, had great movement, was a true “big man”, had fast hands, and great fundamentals/technique inside and out. That being said, I never saw Riddick that good again.

Lennox, like most fighters, had a tendency to take certain opponents lightly- Bruno, McCall, Rahman...etc., but I always found him to elevate his game and fight his best vs those he viewed as legitimate threats- Ruddock, Tua, Tyson, Evander...etc. Lennox reached his peak under Manny Steward, but he was a big man, had the harder punch, was pretty mobile/athletic, and was very intelligent in the ring behind his educated left jab. Riddick and Lennox ushered in the age of the super heavyweights.

I don’t think either was scared of the other, I think they were trying to maximize the payday and let the fight marinate but missed their opportunity when Lennox was stopped and Riddick got fat. This was similar to Manny and Floyd (Manny getting stopped by JMM) waiting a littl too long to maximize their profits/ revenues, although unlike Bowe/Lewis they still did pretty well having their fight years after the expiration date. This has happened to AJ as well- some of the luster is now off him vs Tyson and/or Wilder.

As to who wins- I think Riddick is a little too mobile for Lennox if they fight and Riddick is close to what we saw when he first won his title. Later on, say 1994 and after, I think Lennox beats him. Remember how bad Riddick looked vs Evander in the rematch and both Golota fights, Lennox doesn’t lose to those versions of Bowe in my opinion.
    I'm with you there on neither being literally afraid of the other. On Bowes front I fault Newman more so for all the double talk and reneging on the previous agreement that winner of Lewis - Ruddock would be mandatory challenger next out as the wbc put it out. Of course there are always politics and numbers to be ironed out but the 90-10 split they put forth seemed a non starter. I never saw the proposed meeting around 95' as serious with Bowe waddling in at 250 with Buster Mathis Jr around the time Lewis Lost to McCall. The only one that mattered was the one Bowe opted out of by binning his belt on stage at the urging of Newman, something Bowe says he now regrets. The wbc, network and the four fighters all knew what was on the table. Today I cannot a heavyweight champ doing something similar and not being ripped to shreds for it . Bowe is such an enigma. To me he arguably peaked in the instant. On fight night v Holyfield I he was the definition of a multi geared versatile big man. The outside game and ability to mix inside was brilliant. But his biggest fight was self discipline and focus. What could have been. It'll always go down as a promising gem of a showdown but risks were reserved.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury v AJ - still can’t see anything other than an easy night for Tyson with Joshua pulled out by his corner around the 10th

AJ v Wilder - still want to see this one to decide who second best HW is. AJ dominates on the scorecard but can’t see Wilder not landing and ending it

Brook v Khan - but 4 years ago. Khan iced out before end of 3rd

Pac v Floyd - NOW. Floyd keeps saying he’s coming back but time is running out. He knows he can’t beat Pac now. I’m not alone in wanting to see Floyd battered into submission

Usyk v Whyte - who’s the best of the also rans
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Top two same as Mark

Always thought AJ beats Fury, nothing on either side has changed my mind on that. The easy answer is Fury stands him on his head. The easy answer was also that Wilder would KO Fury at some point.
    Wilder AJ is and always will be a shootout. Possibly leaning more towards AJ at this point as Wilder's inability to deal with someone pushing him back was evident. AJ would have to be aggressive. If he stands off he's in Wilders wheelhouse and constantly moments away from unconsciousness.
    Tank V Loma - Classic bull V Matador.
    Taylor V Ramirez - Top drawer undisputed.
    Buatsi V Yarde - Buatsi Should be taking Yarde apart.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You think Fury would stand him on his head ? What do you mean.

In what manner do you think AJ would win ?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think AJ stops him. I think he hits Fury every bit as hard as Wilder does but more often.

Stand him on his head = Outskill/Outclass him. A Brendan Ingle ism
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    I think AJ stops him. I think he hits Fury every bit as hard as Wilder does but more often.

Ah. Just can’t see AJ stopping Fury and mentally, though he beat Ruiz easily with a safety first strategy, I’m not sure AJ believes he’s as good as he thought he was.

Hopefully this is the next HW title fight after the wave of this fucking virus eases.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

Ah. Just can’t see AJ stopping Fury and mentally, though he beat Ruiz easily with a safety first strategy, I’m not sure AJ believes he’s as good as he thought he was.

Hopefully this is the next HW title fight after the wave of this fucking virus eases.

If AJ piles into him like he did against Wlad there is no way Fury is not getting hurt. There are only so many counts you can get back up from and it might not be the most likely outcome but AJ is streets ahead of Wilder in boxing IQ.
    Last edited by Beanz; 03-27-2020 at 02:57 PM.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

Yep I don't disagree with that. I think AJ has got some demons upstairs. Not so much doubting his ability, rather doubting who he is and how he should fight. He can't box Fury, he knows that. To beat him he'll have to be himself and fight him, route one.

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ has a ton of skill and is a very strong kid. He will be difficult for Tyson for the first half of the fight-unlike Wilder he has a full arsenal of weapons and is physically stronger and more skilled. The issue will be mental toughness and endurance- Tyson wins decisively in both categories. I don’t see AJ beating Fury, but do see him having a much better shot vs Wilder than I originally gave him.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm really beginning to wonder how Spence comes back. Frankly all of them after this hiatus but Spence in particular had the legit injuries, the hint of vices on his shoulder and now an even longer absence. Fights will resume, we'll get back and carry on but it will be interesting to see if Spence has the patience and temperament to rebuild proper. If I were Arum and Crawford I'd offer him the world on a platter when talks of fight dates return. Anything he asks for give it. Then again Crawford is probably walking around at 180+ right now.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always wanted to see Mayorga/ Margarito, around the time of the Spinks fight.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I'm really beginning to wonder how Spence comes back. Frankly all of them after this hiatus but Spence in particular had the legit injuries, the hint of vices on his shoulder and now an even longer absence. Fights will resume, we'll get back and carry on but it will be interesting to see if Spence has the patience and temperament to rebuild proper. If I were Arum and Crawford I'd offer him the world on a platter when talks of fight dates return. Anything he asks for give it. Then again Crawford is probably walking around at 180+ right now.
    Spence could be recovering better with the additional time and come back as strong.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Spence could be recovering better with the additional time and come back as strong.
    Very likely but remains to be seen. There is going to be a stampede for available fight dates and as we're seeing now with harder hit spots in Ca and NY we may very well see some unlikely venues having first dibs. Spence strikes me as take all challengers type early as possible but rust is rust. Also take into account lack of high volume 'live' sparring and usual gyms. It'll be interesting

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All time ?

Ray Robinson V Ray Leonard
    Hagler V GGG
    Naseem Hamed V Floyd
    Jack Johnson V Wlad
    Duran V Loma

Now ?

Dubois V Joyce (im really looking forward to this fight)
    Fury V AJ

Thread Information