Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Rank your top 5 fights you want the most right now

Since boxing is on a hiatus, we might as well have other random discussions. Rank in order the top 5 fights you would make if you could. There are no rules for this. The fights don’t even have to make realistic sense. It doesn’t even necessarily mean that they are the best fights to be made (like best be best). You could want a fight because it would be the most action packed or you just want to see a certain fighter get beaten. Just say the fight and the weight (or catch weight) it would be fought at.

Spence vs Crawford at Welterweight

I think this is the whole package. A career defining win for either fighter that I think would be really fun. Spence is relentless but Crawford is mean. Great fight.

Loma vs Mikey at Lightweight

Mikey proved that he still has a punch at welterweight. He might be semi weight drained, but it would be a very skillful match even if not the most action packed. They are two of the most highly skilled boxers at the moment.

Inoue vs Nery at Bantamweight

Action packed fight against two good fighters. Inoue proved that he is tough against Donaire. Nery is a buzz saw. Would love to see this.

Inoue vs Navarrete at Super Bantamweight

Basically the same as above. It might be a little high for Inoue, but I’m thinking that his skill might be able to overcome the bigger Navarrete.

Beterbiev vs Bivol

Beterbiev is a monster, but Bivol is a very good boxer. I think it would be a fun fight and either one who won would prove to be a legit top fighter in the sport.

There are tons of fights I could pick, but I think these are the ones I would choose if I could just pick.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rank your top 5 fights you want the most right now

Harry Grab v Saad Muhammed 175
    Tommy Hearns v Julian Jackson 154
    Jeff Fenech v Eric Morales 122
    Naseem Hamed v Sammy Saddler 126
    James Toney v Gennadiy Golovkin 160

Truth is right now I'd gleefully tune in for a Larry Holmes 'best of' 90's comeback highlight reel.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Truth is right now I'd gleefully tune in for a Larry Holmes 'best of' 90's comeback highlight reel.
    I meant for right now but all time is fine too😁

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Taylor vs ramirez 140
    Prograis vs Mikey at 140
    Switch those guys around any way you like.
    135 is loaded also. Loma vs Lopez already signed, so other than that Davis, Haney and Ryan Garcia fighting each other or the winner of first fight.
    Spence Crawford of course, but would like to know Spence is still on form after the accident, so maybe we could just have Spence vs Amir khan first.
    Beterbiev vs Canelo at 175. I realize it won't happen but it would be a great clash.
    Fury vs AJ

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Josh Taylor vs ramirez 140
    Prograis vs Mikey at 140
    Switch those guys around any way you like.
    135 is loaded also. Loma vs Lopez already signed, so other than that Davis, Haney and Ryan Garcia fighting each other or the winner of first fight.
    Spence Crawford of course, but would like to know Spence is still on form after the accident, so maybe we could just have Spence vs Amir khan first.
    Beterbiev vs Canelo at 175. I realize it won't happen but it would be a great clash.
    Fury vs AJ

Why not?

Just kidding.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Callum Smith v Canelo because I am certain Smith would beat Canelo if the fight was in Liverpool with 3 UK judges and UK ref at super middle with no (diva) clauses.

Loma v Davis or Haney or Lopez who are young, undefeated and dangerous.

Roman Gonzales v Estrada to take back the Ring belt.

Frampton v Josh Warrington 2 as I think Carl will adjust better this time and win.

Eubank Jnr v Saunders as I think Junior will adjust better this time and win.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Callum Smith v Canelo because I am certain Smith would beat Canelo if the fight was in Liverpool with 3 UK judges and UK ref at super middle with no (diva) clauses.

Loma v Davis or Haney or Lopez who are young, undefeated and dangerous.

Roman Gonzales v Estrada to take back the Ring belt.

Frampton v Josh Warrington 2 as I think Carl will adjust better this time and win.

Eubank Jnr v Saunders as I think Junior will adjust better this time and win.

Notice how anybody who wants a "Canelo vs anybody" fight feels compelled to put asterisks and conditions on it. That speaks volumes (and not in a good way).

The rest of the fights don't need such qualifiers.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. AJ vs Fury- not certain this is as one sided as the Wilder fights have been. Still feel Tyson wins, just think AJ makes him work a little harder and think a little more in there.
    2. Spence vs Crawford- Great fight and I change my mind daily on who I think will win.
    3. Loma vs Mikey Garcia- Best fight to be made at those lighter weights. Not sure if Loma can use his speed and angles to overcome Mikey’s size advantage and solid fundamentals.
    4. Bivol vs Beterbiev- Think Bivol wins this but still a very interesting fight to me.
    5. Manny vs Danny Garcia- I am a huge Manny fan so I love when he pads his resume, even at this age. Like Danny and think he is solid, but feel Manny is still a little too athletic and elite for Danny- even at his age. Don’t want to see Manny fight Spence or Crawford because I think they are just too much for him right now- Danny is about the best guy he can realistically best at this point.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All Time:

1. Riddick Bowe vs Lennox Lewis- Poster child for missed opportunities- worse than Manny vs. Floyd and Wilder vs AJ.
    2. Ike Quartey vs Tito Trinidad- Think Tito wins by late stoppage but would've been a great fight (better than Oscar vs Tito and Oscar vs Ike) due to the style match up.
    3. Mike Mcallum vs Tommy Hearns- Mike was a beast and deserved to be in there with Hagler, Hearns...etc.
    4. Shane Mosely vs Floyd (140)- Think Floyd still wins but feel this version of Shane gives him a much rougher fight.
    5. Roy Jones Jr. vs. G-Man- Think Roy wins but early rounds would have been hell for him. Once Gerald gassed I think Roy pot shots him to a stoppage from accumulation.

Honorable Mentions: Evander vs Mike Tyson prior to Douglas fight, James Toney vs Nigel Benn and/or Chris Eubank, Lennox Lewis vs Ike Ibeabuchi, James Toney vs BHOP at lightheavy, Oscar vs Kostya Tszyu, JCC vs Roberto Duran

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All-time I would have wanted a Gomez-Sanchez rematch. Gomez would've been better prepared, and the outcome could've easily gone the other way.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

I meant for right now but all time is fine too😁
    Sorry man went overboard with the doesn't even have to make sense part . Beterbiev v Bivol feels like an absolute must have. Good call on Inoue v Nery too but we may be losing hope with Nery likely going up. One of the biggest shames for me in this boxing blackout is Inoue losing his headliner at Vegas. The reintroduction Stateside with Top Rank. He and Navarrete makes perfect sense and easy to make. Just hope Navarrete doesn't jump up as well.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    All Time:

1. Riddick Bowe vs Lennox Lewis- Poster child for missed opportunities- worse than Manny vs. Floyd and Wilder vs AJ.
    2. Ike Quartey vs Tito Trinidad- Think Tito wins by late stoppage but would've been a great fight (better than Oscar vs Tito and Oscar vs Ike) due to the style match up.
    3. Mike Mcallum vs Tommy Hearns- Mike was a beast and deserved to be in there with Hagler, Hearns...etc.
    4. Shane Mosely vs Floyd (140)- Think Floyd still wins but feel this version of Shane gives him a much rougher fight.
    5. Roy Jones Jr. vs. G-Man- Think Roy wins but early rounds would have been hell for him. Once Gerald gassed I think Roy pot shots him to a stoppage from accumulation.

Honorable Mentions: Evander vs Mike Tyson prior to Douglas fight, James Toney vs Nigel Benn and/or Chris Eubank, Lennox Lewis vs Ike Ibeabuchi, James Toney vs BHOP at lightheavy, Oscar vs Kostya Tszyu, JCC vs Roberto Duran
    These are great! Bazooka and Tito is a firestorm. At the time I always thought Bowe would be to able for that early Lewis but it didn't happen for a reason all these years later. Bowe knew it as did Rock Newman.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bowe probably could have beaten the Lennox Lewis before he was with Manny Steward. That Lewis was not the polished fighter he later went on to be whilst Bowe was with Futch and had better discipline. Riddick really did want that fight but McCall stopped Lennox and once he got the legendary trainer, Bowe avoided the fight.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that on the night Bowe beat Evander ( first fight), he would have been difficult for any heavyweight in history. Bowe was in great shape, had great movement, was a true “big man”, had fast hands, and great fundamentals/technique inside and out. That being said, I never saw Riddick that good again.

Lennox, like most fighters, had a tendency to take certain opponents lightly- Bruno, McCall, Rahman...etc., but I always found him to elevate his game and fight his best vs those he viewed as legitimate threats- Ruddock, Tua, Tyson, Evander...etc. Lennox reached his peak under Manny Steward, but he was a big man, had the harder punch, was pretty mobile/athletic, and was very intelligent in the ring behind his educated left jab. Riddick and Lennox ushered in the age of the super heavyweights.

I don’t think either was scared of the other, I think they were trying to maximize the payday and let the fight marinate but missed their opportunity when Lennox was stopped and Riddick got fat. This was similar to Manny and Floyd (Manny getting stopped by JMM) waiting a littl too long to maximize their profits/ revenues, although unlike Bowe/Lewis they still did pretty well having their fight years after the expiration date. This has happened to AJ as well- some of the luster is now off him vs Tyson and/or Wilder.

As to who wins- I think Riddick is a little too mobile for Lennox if they fight and Riddick is close to what we saw when he first won his title. Later on, say 1994 and after, I think Lennox beats him. Remember how bad Riddick looked vs Evander in the rematch and both Golota fights, Lennox doesn’t lose to those versions of Bowe in my opinion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prime Bowe (v Evander 1) v Prime Lennox (Mercer, Holyfield 1 McCall 2, Rahman 2) would have been a good fight but think Prime Lennox would always win.

Remember Lennox beat Bowe in the Olympics and may have that psychological edge over him.

Thread Information