Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor

While it may seem unfair to Taylor, in the end I understand the decision. Taylor did not finish to the bell on his feet fighting back, but finished in a corner, wobbled and barely coherent and out of his senses. It as a TKO if I ever saw one.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 7 was an action packed round where both fighters stood toe to toe and let their hands go. The bias of the commentators is frightening as all of them including Ray Leonard only see Taylor's punches. Chavez is damaging Taylor with hard accurate punches but even the US replay's only show Taylor's successes.

Chavez wins the round, Taylor is bleeding from his nose now.

4-3 Taylor

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Master you have mentioned the bias in the commentary several times. I originally watched the fight in a crowded bar where I could not hear the commentary. When I saw it later, and heard it, I thought it was a completely different fight than the one I had watched originally.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    @Master you have mentioned the bias in the commentary several times. I originally watched the fight in a crowded bar where I could not hear the commentary. When I saw it later, and heard it, I thought it was a completely different fight than the one I had watched originally.
    That bias is really winding me up when I hear it.

Sure, Taylor is busy and throwing a lot but still missing and the damaging punches are coming from Chavez. That damage on Taylor's face is not an accident, he is bleeding from his nose, inside his mouth, got two swollen eyes by 6th round and still no mention of how Taylor got that.

Meldrick Taylor is fighting at his very best and has blazing hand speed but taking brutal punches.

Please mention it in your commentary!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 8 Chavez seems to be taking a rest in the round with his hands down and boxing from a distance against Taylor. Very unusual from Chavez but he must be feeling the pace and thinks he will take a round off before going for it in the latter part of the fight.

Taylor's eyes are getting even more swollen now and he must be swallowing his own blood.

5-3 Taylor.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The biggest problem with scoring boxing is our own bias. Everyone, regardless of how "neutral" we claim to be, doesn't matter whether or not we "care" who wins, we still make judgments based on preconceived notions, hence awarding underdogs for performing better than expected and downplaying favourites who we believed will win easily. Sympathy rounds shouldn't exist in a rd-by-rd 10-point must system. However, throughout history every famous scorer/pundit/fan has uttered the phrase - "I gave **** that round as he did better." Better doesn't mean won. It's like the ridiculous notion peddled out - "you have to rip the belt from the champion."

Anyone who claims to be an "expert" scorer is an arrogant fool (American podcasters/youtubers are off the scale most delusional). Anyone whose scoring is consistently put under scrutiny is going to look "clueless" regardless of whether or not you're a "nerd" or "casual." Fact.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 9 Chavez lands so many big hard vicious and fast left hooks to the head of Taylor that his right eye has swollen up.

Steele finally warns Taylor about low blows which he has throughout the fight but Chavez has never complained once about it. Pn fact both fighters have not complained about anything and just got on with it.

Lederman has it 9 nil to Taylor which sums them up. Taylor throws a lot and is brave taking a beating but the quality punches are from Julio Cesar Chavez.

5-4 Taylor.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 10 is the best and most action packed of the fight. Both throwing big punches but Chavez causing the most damage. Taylor's face has been messed up even worse after that exciting round. More swollen and bleeding than ever before. They were putting a towel in his mouth.

Chavez has gone to the head quite a lot throughout the fight because Taylor has blocked the body shots with his arms and elbows.

5-5

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you have it close, good job on this
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chavez definitely paced himself better and rested in round 9 because he has picked up the pressure again for the last 3 vital rounds. That is a seasoned and experienced fighter. Taylor, who is a world class prize fighter, has not paced himself and is just blown it. Taylor is throwing arm punches now with little power.

Taylor's legs are wobbling at the end of the 11th not because of Chavez's punches but because he is shattered and even punches himself at the end of the round because he is effectively gone. His experienced corner (Duva and Benton) do him no favours as they should see he is out on his legs but tell him he has to win the last round.

The percentage landed by both fighters is around 38% but Taylor throwing/wasting more.

Chavez at his peak had a great chin, did not cut and had good head movement to avoid most of Taylor's punches. Meldrick Taylor was not a big puncher.

Round 11 Chavez and is 6-5 up.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 12 both fighters were tired and it looked like Chavez did not have enough to stop Taylor. Chavez had his arms down and was backing off a sign that he was feeling the pace. Taylor was still going at Chavez but was slipping on the floor through exhaustion.

Lederman has Chavez winning round 10 and 11 which were the only rounds he gave him.

Taylor takes a right hand and pretends he is hurt and wobbles his legs. He attacks Chavez when he should have played it safe as 2 judges had him winning the fight.

Steele made the right call when he stopped the fight. Taylor was not looking at him or responding. Excellent fight from 2 top athletes at the top of their game.

I would have had it 7-5 Chavez if it went the distance.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You scored it the same as I did the night of the fight. I had Chavez up by one going into the 12th. I knew that there were close rounds but figured that the knockdown sealed it for Chavez.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You scored it the same as I did the night of the fight. I had Chavez up by one going into the 12th. I knew that there were close rounds but figured that the knockdown sealed it for Chavez.
    What did you score Chavez v Whitaker? Feel like reviewing that one again.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    What did you score Chavez v Whitaker? Feel like reviewing that one again.
    I haven't seen that one in at least 20 years. If you start to review it I will watch it again. At the time it happened, I was having a party at my house, for my birthday I think, so I didn't watch it that closely.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i had taylor ahead
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Thread Information