Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Grocery Shortages

There are a few.
    Gold Medal, they are the leading producer of flour in the US, under their brand as well as making many store brands, is not even making any flour until April 6.
    The people that make Mission tortillas, which are very rare (at least in the western US) will be catching up shortly. They shut down for a mandatory cleaning every 2 weeks and their inventory maintains supply. Because of the demand surge that did not happen this time.
    The toilet paper, paper towels, napkins shortage may last a while. The producers are concentrating on, at least for the company that employs me, 11 skus so there will not be the usual variety.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Grocery Shortages

It's been impossible for me to find any hand sanitizer or Lysol disinfectant in any store.

Luckily, I still see lots of groceries & toilet paper in the stores near my home.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    It's been impossible for me to find any hand sanitizer or Lysol disinfectant in any store.

Luckily, I still see lots of groceries & toilet paper in the stores near my home.
    Hand sanitizer and disinfectant are on an "as produced" status. I don't think that they are filling orders as such, I know that our store orders are not being met. Our warehouse is getting some products, very slowly, and allocating it to the stores.
    Same as with the paper products. You don't get what you ordered, but periodically you get a full pallet of something random.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m sorry to say, but I think the US may be hit disproportionately badly by this virus crisis. I don’t live there, so I’m certainly no expert, but the federal system doesn’t really appear to allow for a national strategic approach to coping with it.

There are lots of desperately poor people in the States, lots of guns, distrust in Big Government, and what seems to be a very thin barrier to a breakdown in law and order. Healthcare seems quite politicised, but what would happen in the eventuality of mass infection? Would people be treated for free? How does health insurance work? That’s not a loaded question or troll bait, I genuinely don’t know.

Is the President ‘on point’ on this. He gets overwhelmingly negative press coverage here all the time, so it’s hard to objectively tell or get a nuanced view for us Brits.

Stay safe and sane, American cousins 🤞🏼
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I’m sorry to say, but I think the US may be hit disproportionately badly by this virus crisis. I don’t live there, so I’m certainly no expert, but the federal system doesn’t really appear to allow for a national strategic approach to coping with it.

There are lots of desperately poor people in the States, lots of guns, distrust in Big Government, and what seems to be a very thin barrier to a breakdown in law and order. Healthcare seems quite politicised, but what would happen in the eventuality of mass infection? Would people be treated for free? How does health insurance work? That’s not a loaded question or troll bait, I genuinely don’t know.

Is the President ‘on point’ on this. He gets overwhelmingly negative press coverage here all the time, so it’s hard to objectively tell or get a nuanced view for us Brits.

Thanks X and yes at this point there is a lot of free treatment being doled out for coronavirus sufferers. It’s being paid at the state level refunded to the states by the Fed. I can’t say that is 100% of cases but I’m reading it’s quite common. We have a lot of guns but I don’t revolution in the air due to this virus. It’s quite mellow really, I can only speak to my area but I need to travel to some very bad parts of three different cities and the biggest problem I’m seeing is it’s getting difficult to provide services to the needy as so many respite places are forced to close. Who knows long term.

I looked into this thread as I saw the grocery shortage thing. TBH at the beginning of this that was a fear of mine but the only thing I seem to have trouble getting at times is milk. A week ago, last time I went shopping, I was actually concerned I wouldn’t be able to get Coca Cola and I was out. Not only did they have loads it was on sale, 4 bucks for a twelve pack. I really hope everyone is having the same experience and not struggling to find things. I think I need to switch to frozen vegetables as I don’t want to shop every three or four days, my bag of Kale went bad before I could finish it.

I put a couple things online to sell today and I came across somebody giving out food packages including a gallon of milk and a few other basic staples. They put them together themselves put them online and said if you are struggling I will deliver a food package to you. Couldn’t help but be impressed. What a cool thing to do. Probably a weeks worth of food for a small family.

This whole thing is so bizarre. It’s hard to process at times. Hopefully when it’s all done everyone here is still around. Kind of reminds me how fragile we are. You can work out everyday or be well trained in fighting or have an arsenal but that shit won’t help if you run into this invisible wuhan virus shit. I was out the other day at a connivence store and I felt the dude behind me breathing on me. I gave him a look and he backed up. It was just me and him in line what the hell was he thinking. Granted 6 feet is not always possible but right on top of me.

When I’m out I try to be pleasant. I don’t think anyone is having a great time right now. At least give someone a little smile. Granted it not time for long conversations in public but we do what we can

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unfortunately I think your concerns are well-based. Hopefully not, and the course of the virus passes through with a relatively minimal toll. But many of the points you touched upon are true. Just like it's tougher for continental Europe to cope, what with all the shared borders with multiple countries, the States is a huge country with 50 states going in different directions or at different stages of action. New York, especially NYC, is a bad scene right now... and some of the TV interviews with scared shitless nurses with little or no PPE are gut-wrenching. Other big cities may follow suit.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fresh vegetable produce sections should be remade for a couple of runners behind the storage room door per customer. I saw a dude coughing all over the bell peppers like a lightweight Tommy Chong and they offered to "rotate the display" . Whatever the fook that means. How about you just stop people from randomly spritzing on our shat.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sadly we'd work to isolate certain communities and locales. It was put on display today with the like-dislike push from El Heffe Trump regarding certain State Governors and literal barricade check point for East and West Interstate drivers. Locally we've even been labeled 'the Mardi Gars virus' . Meanwhile in Florida certain beaches remain open. This has kicked into big political gamesmanship the deeper we go. Blame the next guy. Meanwhile Covid 19 is drifting on by leaving the 'next NY' in it's path Nationwide and we pretend it carries a passport. The virus does not vote. I think Trump needs to concede the field for the medical minds and stop making everything about himself.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Fresh vegetable produce sections should be remade for a couple of runners behind the storage room door per customer. I saw a dude coughing all over the bell peppers like a lightweight Tommy Chong and they offered to "rotate the display" . Whatever the fook that means. How about you just stop people from randomly spritzing on our shat.
    Wear gloves when you are out. Stay 2 metres away from people. Wash the fruits when you get home.

Hand sanitizer is rare as gold but you only need that if you can't wash your hands.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Sadly we'd work to isolate certain communities and locales. It was put on display today with the like-dislike push from El Heffe Trump regarding certain State Governors and literal barricade check point for East and West Interstate drivers. Locally we've even been labeled 'the Mardi Gars virus' . Meanwhile in Florida certain beaches remain open. This has kicked into big political gamesmanship the deeper we go. Blame the next guy. Meanwhile Covid 19 is drifting on by leaving the 'next NY' in it's path Nationwide and we pretend it carries a passport. The virus does not vote. I think Trump needs to concede the field for the medical minds and stop making everything about himself.

You hit upon what will continue to become a major barrier to getting anything done. The old "well... if I have to stay indoors why doesn't he" mentality. Some states on lockdown and curfews while neighboring states do nothing.... that's certainly going to rub people the wrong way. Don't know how to combat that except for having a strong, effective federal government with the wisdom and balls to give direction. For that to happen though, we all need from Trump to check his ego at the door and let the experts run the show, like you just said.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can someone tell me exactly how Trump's ego is hampering the efforts to curtail the spread of this virus?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I take it you feel he has handled the crisis perfectly since the beginning?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trump has fancied himself expert environmentalist, meteorologist, and now virologist.

Is it too much to ask him to shut his trap and let the experts do the talking unimpeded or without fear of reprisal?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We have been out of lysol spray for about two weeks now as well as out of hand sanitizer. We have to stand outside of food stores because of this social distancing thing, about 3 to 6 feet away from one another. Saw an argument on the line between two women and the store security guard. It's getting there, it's getting there....
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Any government wants to stop riots and anarchy so they have to contain, delay, research and mitigate it. So far we are not on the last phase.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information