Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Who among these active boxers is IBHOF worthy?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who among these active boxers is IBHOF worthy?

If they retired tomorrow, who would deserve to get into the IBHOF?

Sergey Kovalev
    Chad Dawson
    Jean Pascal
    Terrence Crawford
    Vasyl Lomachenko
    Oleksander Usyk
    Deontay Wilder
    Canelo Alvarez
    Tyson Fury
    Gennady Golovkin

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who among these active boxers is IBHOF worthy?

Sergey Kovalev
    Terrence Crawford
    Vasyl Lomachenko
    Oleksander Usyk
    Canelo Alvarez
    Tyson Fury
    Gennady Golovkin
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Sergey Kovalev
    Terrence Crawford
    Vasyl Lomachenko
    Oleksander Usyk
    Canelo Alvarez
    Tyson Fury
    Gennady Golovkin

That's not a bad list, and I'm pretty sure nobody would have any issues with whom you've left out.

However, if forced to whittle down your list even further, based solely on career longevity and achievements, I'm afraid I'd still leave 3 fighters off the list for now.... although they're "shoo-ins" to get in anyway.

Loma, Usyk, and Fury.... with a possible delay on Crawford also.

BTW, several fighters still active at the lower weights were left off the list. Chocolatito being the first and foremost one to come to mind.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    If they retired tomorrow, who would deserve to get into the IBHOF?

Sergey Kovalev
    Chad Dawson
    Jean Pascal
    Terrence Crawford
    Vasyl Lomachenko
    Oleksander Usyk
    Deontay Wilder
    Canelo Alvarez
    Tyson Fury
    Gennady Golovkin
    This is going off of what I see the IBHOF using as a criteria and not necessarily what I believe. I think they let in too many unworthy boxers, but it is what it is.

Kovalev: He was the top guy at the weight class for years and was a top p4p fighter. Also arguably the only person to ever beat Ward. So yes he is in.

Dawson: I think he barely misses it. He didn’t last long enough as the champion as had some not so great losses. He was more someone who seemed to have the skills but never really got where I thought he could go.

Pascal: Not close. Solid fighter but has always been more of a gatekeeper type than a champion type. I know he has won “titles,” but he was never close to the best at his weight.

Crawford: Definitely in. No explanation needed.

Loma: definitely in especially considering his amateur career.

Usyk: He’s in because he unified a weight class which is pretty rare these days as well as been regarded as a top p4p guy for some years.

Wilder: If he would have beaten Fury at least one time, maybe he could have a small argument, but he hasn’t done enough to make it.

Canelo: Yes. Good fighter but makes it in easily based off of his fame and money making ability.

Fury: He makes it. Beat Wlad and just destroyed Wilder and most everyone thinks he beat him the first fight. He has at least proven to be the HW throughout his career.

GGG: Yes easily

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    That's not a bad list, and I'm pretty sure nobody would have any issues with whom you've left out.

However, if forced to whittle down your list even further, based solely on career longevity and achievements, I'm afraid I'd still leave 3 fighters off the list for now.... although they're "shoo-ins" to get in anyway.

Loma, Usyk, and Fury.... with a possible delay on Crawford also.

BTW, several fighters still active at the lower weights were left off the list. Chocolatito being the first and foremost one to come to mind.
    You're right, I should have included he and Inoye. Sometimes I tend to overlook the little guys.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After having had a look at who is in I don’t reckon these would look out of place.
    Sergey Kovalev
    Terrence Crawford
    Vasyl Lomachenko
    Oleksander Usyk
    Canelo Alvarez
    Tyson Fury
    Gennady Golovkin
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Same as everyone else I think. I'd have them all going in save for Dawson, Pascal and wilder.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

canelo
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If they retired tomorrow only three would be eligible for the first year. So... it's tough, very tough.

Sergey Kovalev - No
    Chad Dawson - No
    Jean Pascal - No
    Terrence Crawford - Yes. Why? Multi-weight champion, unbeaten, undisputed at 140, Lineal/Ring, perennial P4P incumbent.
    Vasyl Lomachenko - Yes. Why? Greatest amateur ever, multi-weight champion, P4P, all-round boxing genius.
    Oleksander Usyk - Maybe/No. Why? Outstanding amateur, unbeaten, undisputed at cruiser, Lineal/Ring, P4P... However
    Deontay Wilder - No
    Canelo Alvarez - 100%. Why? Boxing royalty, multi-weight champion, resume littered with past and future HOF-ers, P4P incumbent.
    Tyson Fury - No.
    Gennady Golovkin - Maybe/No. Why? Outstanding middleweight king, one of the greatest ever, however, was unfortunately "robbed" of his crowning moment.

I would be happy to see Golovkin or Uysk swap places with anyone. And i'm certain Fury and Wilder will get in too being heavyweight "champs" who created a big rivalry.
    Last edited by Fenster; 04-03-2020 at 02:04 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    If they retired tomorrow only three would be eligible for the first year. So... it's tough, very tough.

Sergey Kovalev - No
    Chad Dawson - No
    Jean Pascal - No
    Terrence Crawford - Yes. Why? Multi-weight champion, unbeaten, undisputed at 140, Lineal/Ring, perennial P4P incumbent.
    Vasyl Lomachenko - Yes. Why? Greatest amateur ever, multi-weight champion, P4P, all-round boxing genius.
    Oleksander Usyk - Maybe/No. Why? Outstanding amateur, unbeaten, undisputed at cruiser, Lineal/Ring, P4P... However
    Deontay Wilder - No
    Canelo Alvarez - 100%. Why? Boxing royalty, multi-weight champion, resume littered with past and future HOF-ers, P4P incumbent.
    Tyson Fury - No.
    Gennady Golovkin - Maybe/No. Why? Outstanding middleweight king, one of the greatest ever, however, was unfortunately "robbed" of his crowning moment.

I would be happy to see Golovkin or Uysk swap places with anyone. And i'm certain Fury and Wilder will get in too being heavyweight "champs" who created a big rivalry.
    Is this who you think really deserves to make it in? Because GGG will unquestionably be inducted if he never fought again. Like I said in my post, I think the IBHOF is too watered down and let’s in too many unworthy people. I picked people who I thought would make it it based on criteria.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sergey Kovalev - No
    Chad Dawson - No
    Jean Pascal - No
    Deontay Wilder - No
    Tyson Fury - No.

This is interesting , you say “no” to Fury, but don’t say why?
    I’m not having a pop here , I’m interested, because in all honesty, I nearly said no to Fury as well.
    But then I thought “am I being a bit harsh on him?”
    I convinced myself with the fact that he beat “The Man” and Infact had been the Man for a long time. Admittedly it was a shit fight.
    And then he fights another long standing champ (albeit relatively crap) in effect twice. Others have done far less.
    Don’t get me wrong, the rest of his career is pony, but is that enough?
    I guess I’m kinda wanting you to convince me that my original thinking was right and that he shouldn’t be in.
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 04-03-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Sergey Kovalev - No
    Chad Dawson - No
    Jean Pascal - No
    Deontay Wilder - No
    Tyson Fury - No.

I’m not having a pop here , I’m interested, because in all honesty, I nearly said no to Fury as well.
    I convinced myself with the fact that he beat “The Man” and Infact had been the Man for a long time. Admittedly it was a shit fight.
    And then he fights another long standing champ (albeit relatively crap) in effect twice. Others have done far less.
    I guess I’m kinda wanting you to convince me that my original thinking was right and that he shouldn’t be in.
    My own criteria, Fury doesn’t get in at this point of his career. The criteria that the IBHOF has, he for sure gets in. He was the lineal HW champion so that becomes automatic.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Sergey Kovalev - No
    Chad Dawson - No
    Jean Pascal - No
    Deontay Wilder - No
    Tyson Fury - No.

Fury will definitely get in the HOF as he's the lineal heavyweight champion and has been a star/character of this era (headlining Las Vegas etc). However, anyone who votes for him against that list DKSAB (you can only have three per year).

Fury's credentials - lineal heavyweight champion, dethroned previous eras king, beat Wilder. That's it. Yet to prove himself the best of his own era. Five of those men listed could have successfully competed in any era regardless of all the accolades and silverware.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

Sergey Kovalev - No
    Chad Dawson - No
    Jean Pascal - No
    Deontay Wilder - No
    Tyson Fury - No.

Is this who you think really deserves to make it in? Because GGG will unquestionably be inducted if he never fought again. Like I said in my post, I think the IBHOF is too watered down and let’s in too many unworthy people. I picked people who I thought would make it it based on criteria.
    I agree with your picks - based on criteria - except I made it tougher as only three per year are allowed.

Golovkin and Fury are shoo-ins. I have no doubt Wilder beiing an American Heavyweight "champion" with 10 defences is a shoo-in (modern writers were calling him the "hardest puncher in history"). Dawson and Kovalev will need a weak year.

Thread Information