Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

Only people blinded by evidence. It so researched that to deny it is in my view similar to suggesting the earth is flat. Lots of research all saying the same. It hurts feelings, but is a fact. The only question is why.

As for China. Wake up. Who gains the most from all this...for now?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Only people blinded by evidence. It so researched that to deny it is in my view similar to suggesting the earth is flat. Lots of research all saying the same. It hurts feelings, but is a fact. The only question is why.

As for China. Wake up. Who gains the most from all this...for now?
    You "Awoke" now? That was relatively quick for you. Hard to keep up.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I try to keep it real.

Did it originate in China? Sure... all evidence points in that direction.

Were the Chinese less than forthcoming about it in the beginning? Probably so. They're not exactly the world model for an open, communicative society.

Is it a WMD they've released? That's where the reaching begins. I'm not a fan of unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

I'll also reiterate I don't see anything wrong with calling it the Wuhan virus...... just as I don't see any issues with people calling the 1918 bug the Spanish flu.

I'm more interested in people's intent.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I try to keep it real.

Were the Chinese less than forthcoming about it in the beginning? Probably so. They're not exactly the world model for an open, communicative society.

Is it a WMD they've released? That's where the reaching begins. I'm not a fan of unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

I'll also reiterate I don't see anything wrong with calling it the Wuhan virus...... just as I don't see any issues with people calling the 1918 bug the Spanish flu.

Except the Spanish Flu did not start in Spain it started in American Forts. It is important because naming something shapes people's reaction to it and their behaviour too. Look at AIDS originally known as GRID Gay Related Immune Deficiency and how for so long many straight people thought they could carry on without consequence. Again why is HnN1 Flu not called Swine Flu or North Carolina Flu? because idiots then go and wipe out whole herds of healthy pigs, and destroy the livelihoods of those who depend on them. Surely the case of some 2 year old Chinese kid and his parents being attacked and the attacks on Chinese communities all over the world is more important than giving Trump and his racist pals an excuse to label an entire country?

If it were man made there is probably just as much chance that it was made by the American Military in NC as the Chinese in their country.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I try to keep it real.

Except the Spanish Flu did not start in Spain it started in American Forts. It is important because naming something shapes people's reaction to it and their behaviour too. Look at AIDS originally known as GRID Gay Related Immune Deficiency and how for so long many straight people thought they could carry on without consequence. Again why is HnN1 Flu not called Swine Flu or North Carolina Flu? because idiots then go and wipe out whole herds of healthy pigs, and destroy the livelihoods of those who depend on them. Surely the case of some 2 year old Chinese kid and his parents being attacked and the attacks on Chinese communities all over the world is more important than giving Trump and his racist pals an excuse to label an entire country?

If it were man made there is probably just as much chance that it was made by the American Military in NC as the Chinese in their country.

"Naming something shapes [SUSCEPTIBLE] people's reaction to it and their behavior too." I added the word susceptible because that's who is shaped by names. Other, wiser people see names for what they are, identifiers. Nothing more... nothing less.

In the PC world spectrum, I again inhabit that mostly uninhabited region known as common sense. On one extreme are those who would argue that calling someone offensive names is ok.... as long as they don't threaten or physically touch you. On the other extreme, you have those who constantly seek out more and more names and phrases to call offensive. I'm proudly neither.

Was never aware of the GRID designation in my own circles.... would've refrained from using it knowing the truth about the disease.

In my opinion, the fact that a 2-year old Chinese kid and his parents would be attacked without provocation speaks more about the persistent pestilence of racism in the world, than about naming of viruses. Anyone moved to commit such crimes of hate and ignorance are nothing but a ticking time bomb that will be set off by any number of excuses.

El Kabong Guest

It's called swine flu quite routinely https://www.wral.com/news/local/video/5867907/ 'Cary student recalls having swine flu'.....but hey what would I know about it. Also in 2009 it first appeared in Mexico. But anywho as you were, carry on.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 04-07-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

It's called swine flu quite routinely https://www.wral.com/news/local/video/5867907/ 'Cary student recalls having swine flu'.....but hey what would I know about it. Also in 2009 it first appeared in Mexico. But anywho as you were, carry on.
    People call 'Spanish Flu' something that did not originate in Spain. The point is nobody is calling people racist for calling it whatever you want, but it serves no useful purpose to dig your heels in (not you) in order to insist it is somehow an infringment of free speech or some such bollocks to call it Wuhan Virus.

It is the worse kind of Devils advocate virtue signalling, which is a massive part of the lame alt right stuff pedalled by some of the childish losers on this forum.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

China owes the world bigtime for the lies about this wuhan virus at the get go. Things could have gone much different

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People call 'Spanish Flu' something that did not originate in Spain. The point is nobody is calling people racist for calling it whatever you want, but it serves no useful purpose to dig your heels in (not you) in order to insist it is somehow an infringment of free speech or some such bollocks to call it Wuhan Virus.

It is the worse kind of Devils advocate virtue signalling, which is a massive part of the lame alt right stuff pedalled by some of the childish losers on this forum.

Seeing you exclude El Kabong from this particular indictment, who then besides Gandalf are you bunching together as "the childish losers on this forum" who "pedal lame alt right stuff" of which "devils advocate virtue signaling" is a massive part of?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seeing you exclude El Kabong from this particular indictment, who then besides Gandalf are you bunching together as "the childish losers on this forum" who "pedal lame alt right stuff" of which "devils advocate virtue signaling" is a massive part of?
    Walrus. His true motive has come out.

El Kabong Guest

All I said was we call H1N1 "swine flu" on the regular down here....why so irritated? I'm not aware of anything bad that has happened to hogs here either, we've got quite a few of them and they'll end up as BBQ or sausage or bacon or pork chops.

I've yet to see one have a hate crime committed against them

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

"Some of the childish losers on this forum" is plural. I think it's time we start addressing each other responsibly and directly, as adults.

If nothing else, I strive to be crystal clear with my opinions, no matter how unpopular they may be (which reminds me of that long-forgotten thread about unpopular opinions ).

I'll also address the person directly when I need to.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What’s my true motive

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

What’s my true motive
    Political.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

What’s my true motive
    Political.
    No not at all when I mention the virus. It just is what it is. The other matters are real life facts and I will bring them up. I think it is difficult to make a case that I am prejudice against Chinese however if you feel that is the case so be it.

Thread Information