Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Hector Camacho underrated?

Seems like many think of his fights with Tito and Oscar when they think of him. But that was 15+18 years into his pro career respectively. And at a weight in which he never had success.

He has a lot of really good names on his CV in the 3 divisions in which he had success.

Does changing his style after being hurt effect his legacy? From my mind winning is winning. Crazy he had a 31 year professional career.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Hector Camacho underrated?

I was a fan of the macho man and even had the tail at school. For the macho man, he was more of a skilled southpaw boxer.

I never did see him get hurt against Rosario because it was just before I got into boxing but do remember him losing his undefeated record for the most stupid of reasons - not touching gloves at the end of the 12th round - that point deduction gave him his first loss! Camacho got his revenge.

I do not think Hector Camacho had great names on his record but he was top class fighter.

I think he would never have beaten Tito, Oscar or JCC but they could not stop him.

I do not think he was underrated.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was never a Camacho fan, but I'll never remember the first time I saw him in the ring. I forget the opponent and the rest of the particulars. I just remember Camacho having BLINDING hand speed. The poor bloke on the receiving end never knew what hit him. It was at that moment I knew Camacho was going to be someone special.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If it wasn'for his flambouyancy and his catch ring name we would not be talking about him. But no disrespect to him but his reign was kinda mixed. Ya know? Just a guy that was there too. Kinda like Vivia Harris, a good fighter but really, we could have a welterweight boxing conversation wtithout him being mentioned.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would add that the peak of Hector Camacho was at lightweight and below. He achieved a tremendous amount, beating real top world class fighters and winning meaningful titles. Above that he achieved more notoriety and money.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Always had a hot-cold thing with Camacho. I dont know if I'd say he was underrated. But maybe under appreciated? Possibly in the sense that his hand speed was phenomenal as was his ring awareness. He was also one of the best self promoters or hype-man that there ever was. The guy was a walking talking live action comic strip. I think he looked at absolute best in fights like the one with tough Tony Baltazar. But...he still didn't "beat" a come backing Ray Mancini! He could also stink the ring out and did it shamelessly..the track meet backfoot and later on would roll out these pity pat 'prevent' volleys with little intent on doing damage. All sizzle no steak. Thought he lost both close to Haugen who himself was an underrated boxer in spots. Maybe I'm biased I liked The Mutt. It's weird with Camacho because his entire career has 'big' names and fights sprinkled in beginning to end but the huge fresh 3 did a number on him, Tito, Chavez and De La Hoya. If I remember right he showed a ton of balls in with Trinidad though. Lost wide but took a shelling. He was a skilled fighter and legit talent but may be guilty of sabotaging himself by working the character angle up ad nauseam.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I would add that the peak of Hector Camacho was at lightweight and below. He achieved a tremendous amount, beating real top world class fighters and winning meaningful titles. Above that he achieved more notoriety and money.
    But why didn't he stick around for a Rosario rematch. Rather he left lightweight right after Chapo destroyed Livingston Bramble..still didn't see that coming ..and Camacho was in line to fight Bramble until that if I remember right .

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    If it wasn'for his flambouyancy and his catch ring name we would not be talking about him. But no disrespect to him but his reign was kinda mixed. Ya know? Just a guy that was there too. Kinda like Vivia Harris, a good fighter but really, we could have a welterweight boxing conversation wtithout him being mentioned.
    Minus Camacho being brutally KO'd almost 10 times and being wobbled more than a bicycle on bent rims, yes he was like a Vivian Harris .

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Camacho was a talented guy with skills all day, but I never respected him because I thought he was weak at heart, especially after the Rosario fight. In the years leading up to the Chavez fight I was sure that Camacho would quit.
    In the Chavez fight he earned my respect. It was very clear very early that Hector couldn't win. But he stayed in and rode it to the end. When he wasn't fast enough to dodge trouble it turned out he had a set of balls, too.
    Then he knocked out Ray Leonard. That uppercut he hit Leonard with is an all time favorite of mine.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Camacho was a talented guy with skills all day, but I never respected him because I thought he was weak at heart, especially after the Rosario fight. In the years leading up to the Chavez fight I was sure that Camacho would quit.
    In the Chavez fight he earned my respect. It was very clear very early that Hector couldn't win. But he stayed in and rode it to the end. When he wasn't fast enough to dodge trouble it turned out he had a set of balls, too.
    Then he knocked out Ray Leonard. That uppercut he hit Leonard with is an all time favorite of mine.
    That was a great thing he did there for boxing and retired Ray Leonard for the final time.

Thread Information