Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is Spence/ Crawford really a career defining fight for Crawford?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Spence/ Crawford really a career defining fight for Crawford?

Who knows what shape Spence will return in after his accident and even if he is on fire will Crawford beating him be dismissed as fighting a crocked opponent. The other options don't look much better for him in turns of the career defining fight he needs. Brook..way past his best, Thurman beaten by Manny, Porter already lost to Spence. Or has his career defining fight already happened ? Will Spence even at less that 100% be his kryptonite?

Nice article form Sky exploring it here -

"The tricky position that Terence Crawford finds himself in is as one of the world’s most dangerous boxers but without a classic result on his record to prove it.

IBF and WBC titleholder Errol Spence Jr is the opponent who can make this happen - a battle between America's two undefeated welterweight champions is among the best fights that boxing could offer but is, even before the coronavirus pandemic, a long way away. Spence Jr is recovering from a horrific car crash.

There are other big names floating around for WBO holder Crawford, the three-weight world champion with a 36-0 record whose ability to flow between stances and styles has made him vaunted as perhaps the top pound-for-pound talent on the planet. He is only lacking that breakthrough win but it's not his fault..."

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...could-he-fight
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Spence/ Crawford really a career defining fight for Crawford?

I think it is. Spence has proven to be a really good fighter. He averages around #5 on the p4p list. There aren’t too many more career defining fights at the moment. Pacquiao maybe by name only. And welterweight has some good fighters so he doesn’t need to move up in weight.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only way it isn't is if Spence doesn't look like the same fighter whenever we see him in the ring again, and that's possible of course. Not sure why the article says "even if Spence is looking red hot, it will be seen as"... Whatever it said, sorry cant post and bring the text up again at once. There's no even if, if Spence still looks good then that's that. I wouldn't mind Crawford against Porter either, off the Spence fight Porter entirely credible, and he might pose different problems to Crawford being naturally bigger with his style.

Otherwise yeah kind of slim pickings. Taylor and Ramirez are both excellent fighters as is Prograis, don't think anyone could complain about one of them moving up to fight Crawford , but beating them doesn't make the same statement as Spence.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kell Brook confident Terence Crawford fight 'there to be made'

Kell Brook is hopeful a "huge, huge fight" against Terence Crawford can be made, having given up on the possibility of facing Amir Khan.

The undefeated Crawford is the reigning WBO welterweight champion but Brook - a former title holder at 147 pounds - is ready to take on the challenge of ending the American's perfect record.

While his last outing, a stoppage win over Mark DeLuca in February, was at super-welterweight, the Brit is ready to drop down a division to secure a bout against someone he describes as "one of the best pound-for-pound fighters out there".

The coronavirus pandemic has forced promoters to put plans on hold, yet Bob Arum - who works with Crawford - talked about the possible showdown in a recent interview with Boxing Scene, revealing how it could even be staged in the United Kingdom.

"The signals we are getting from Crawford's team are that they want it, that it's there to be made," Brook said while appearing on an Instagram Live with his promoter Eddie Hearn.

"That's a huge, huge fight. Crawford is one of the pound-for-pound best fighters out there. I said that before I left this game I wanted to fight the best out there, too."

Hearn admitted that a chance to face Crawford is simply too good to turn down for the former IBF champion.

"I still think you've got world championships in you at 154 pounds," Hearn said to Brook during their chat.

"For me, I would love to see you go and win a title. But you can't turn down a Crawford fight."

While, Crawford's resume boasts a win over Khan - he triumphed by TKO in their meeting at Madison Square Garden a year ago - Brook has been unable to secure a clash with his long-time domestic rival.

Having pushed hard for several years without any success, he believes the time has come to move on from Khan.

"I've given that angle up, because it's gone past the line now for me," Brook said. "I have done everything that has been asked of me to make it happen."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/kel...161942438.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not real sure what a tko over a boiled down twice shattered Brook does for Crawford at 147. But I am really beginning to wonder about Spence coming back complete with basically forced lay offs back to back. His next move will tell all about his mental make up and something tells me he'll be adamite about jumping right back into the deep end asap.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spence needs Crawford more than Crawford needs him. lolol...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spence would be a defining fight for Crawford simply because Errol Jr will be the best opponent Crawford has ever faced, particularly at 147, as Crawford has only fought refuse collectors & the ghost of Amir Khan at the weight.

However, I do not believe that Spence should be fighting Crawford next because we just don't know how that terrible accident has truly affected Errol Jr, if it has at all.

Spence needs to engage in a couple of lower risk fights to see how his body holds up to the rigours of top flight boxing before going in with Crawford.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Thread Information