Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Ryan Garcia 4/22

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    https://www.boxingnews24.com/2023/03...-garcia-clash/

It’s true in a way that Ryan talked his way into the fight with the 28-year-old Gervonta, but when you have 9 million Instagram followers, that puts you at the head of the class in boxing. With that kind of popularity, Ryan doesn’t need to earn the fight the hard way like normal fighters because his popularity outside of the ring is enough.

I cut/pasted this because of the bolded part... which is PRECISELY why I don't like Ryan and hope he gets knocked on his Instagram ass.

If this is the blueprint on how to "get to the head of the class" in boxing... the sport is more fukked up than I thought.
    I thought that would be proved by the Jake Paul/ Tommy Fury circus.

Well, we all know Jake Paul is strictly for casuals and they make no bones about it. The guy's a YouTuber, FFS.

But Ryan Garcia is a professional boxer. He should have been MADE to earn his stripes like everybody else does. Not because he's got a gazillion Instagram followers.

So while Jake is merely a circus act, (pretty much like Floyd still getting into the ring)... Ryan has taken a shortcut to relevance over probably a lot more deserving fighters... even in the minds of some supposedly knowledgeable boxing fans.

His fight vs Tank is close to being hyped as the second coming of Ali-Frazier I, FFS.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't believe Tank showed up for first presser wearing a pink shag carpet and carrying a tiny neon green purse. Interesting times .

But honest question and I know it's come up before with other fighters...but what's the big deal about a rehydration clause? It does apply to both fighters correct?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight presents an exciting match-up of styles
    Davies' power will be a constant danger
    Garcia has his speed & hook
    Right now I think Davies wins but a Garcia win would not surprise me
    The winner establishes himself as a player in the division
    The loser can still come again

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    But honest question and I know it's come up before with other fighters...but what's the big deal about a rehydration clause? It does apply to both fighters correct?
    both guys have accepted the terms so there's no big deal, the questions should be what other fighter did tank ask for a catchweight & rehydration clause against?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An eye-watering pay-per-view price has been asked of American boxing fans who want to watch Gervonta Davies take on Ryan Garcia on April 22. The mega fight is priced at £69.23 ($84.99) for American punters - less than the anticipated £81.46 ($100) anticipated.

American fans paid a $100 price tag for Floyd Mayweather Jr against Conor McGregor and Manny Pacquiao and will again fork out for what is expected to be one of the biggest fights this year. Davis has held world championship belts in the lightweight, super featherweight and super lightweight weight divisions and has a record of 28-0.

His last win came against Hector Garcia in January in defence of his WBA (Regular) lightweight belt. Meanwhile, younger fighter Garcia is ranked the world's sixth-best active lightweight by The Ring Magazine with an unbeaten record of 23-0.

The pair will meet at 136-pound catchweight in what is expected to be the biggest test in both their budding careers. Garcia slammed his opponent at their pre-fight press conference after Davies 'the Tank' turned up almost two hours late.

"Look at how he represents himself, he's not even here," he said to the Showtime broadcast before taking to the stage. "It's been over an hour. It's unprofessional." The pair then went face-to-face slating each other with Garcia stating: "Somebody has got to promote this I was here on time, wasn't I?"

Davis responded: "You're supposed to be like that." However, after the press conference was over the southpaw apologised for his late arrival. He added: "I'm sorry about that. I haven't even been asleep, I've been running around all day." Davies later blamed bad traffic for being one hour and 50 minutes late for the press conference.

It hasn't just been Garcia who Davies has annoyed ahead of the showdown after splitting from former adviser Floyd Mayweather and accusing the boxing great of banning him from the Mayweather gym. During a spat on Twitter, Garcia tweeted to Davis: "You always act like you got some info. Shut your a** up already. You basically are just a shaderoom [gossip] page, relax. I heard some stuff about you as well."

Davis replied in a since-deleted tweet: "What? That Floyd's petty ass said I couldn't use his gym anymore. I don't give a f***! Nah, it's not what I heard, it's what I know, chump!" Davies goes into the bout as favourite but risks his reputation being damaged by a dangerous Garcia on April 22.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...f4e84a3a&ei=24
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

all access episode one
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't believe Tank showed up for first presser wearing a pink shag carpet and carrying a tiny neon green purse. Interesting times .

Garcia has the bigger frame naturally and the leaner of the 2 physiques. Its not so much about weight but physiology. More muscular physiques will look smaller and more cut with dehydration before it starts to deeply affect their bodily functions. Bigger Leaner guys (because their bodies had less places to store it), will feel the dehydration more as the body starts to drink itself . Which is what happens when fighters cut water weight. Especially that last couple of pounds. Eventually, your bloods getting thicker and harder to pump through your veins, you're overheating because youre unable to sweat. Your tongue is stuck to the roof of your mouth. You're getting headaches and are headed toward renal failure. Which is why many fighters are such a-holes before they hydrate. Guys from bigger weight classes that try to boil themselves down to a smaller weight class, will pack that weight back on overnight without getting fat and sluggish. Their body gets the nutrition, craps out the rest due to the tuning from the training process and they walk to the ring feeling like a million bucks. (Danny Jacobs, Paul Williams,) Then you had other guys that didn't want to put in the Work. Like Chavez Jr. he'd use Diuretics to shed the weight and come to the ring looking flabby and pasty...Or Kelly pavlik who after falling off the wagon, the alcohol consumption already had him dehydrated. So when he rehydrated. He was bigger but weaker, and his reflexes and timing were off.

Then you had guys like Mikey Garcia who wasn't cut but was a taller fighter for the weight classes he was in. He had trouble cutting those last few lbs and probably inched closer to kidney problems than some of the other fighters. Tried to pack the food and water on after the weigh in. Only your body absorbs it slower than your body is gorging it. You need a certain amount of water to process food. Without it you wind up puking in an elevator (like Mikey did) and the water is just passing right through you as your body is absorbing in half sips and you're chugging water by the gallon (trying to fill a thimble with a fire hose) Washing away what few electrolytes you have. Drinking distilled water is worse because its void of minerals and nutrition and will give you the trots. This is how fighters wind up in the hospital or worse after a knockout (with no water to decelerate the brain on abrupt movements)
    Goosen been around for a long time and trained Corrales, so he knows where the pitfalls lay. Garcia's ego... that might be a horse of a different color.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

Garcia has the bigger frame naturally and the leaner of the 2 physiques. Its not so much about weight but physiology. More muscular physiques will look smaller and more cut with dehydration before it starts to deeply affect their bodily functions. Bigger Leaner guys (because their bodies had less places to store it), will feel the dehydration more as the body starts to drink itself . Which is what happens when fighters cut water weight. Especially that last couple of pounds. Eventually, your bloods getting thicker and harder to pump through your veins, you're overheating because youre unable to sweat. Your tongue is stuck to the roof of your mouth. You're getting headaches and are headed toward renal failure. Which is why many fighters are such a-holes before they hydrate. Guys from bigger weight classes that try to boil themselves down to a smaller weight class, will pack that weight back on overnight without getting fat and sluggish. Their body gets the nutrition, craps out the rest due to the tuning from the training process and they walk to the ring feeling like a million bucks. (Danny Jacobs, Paul Williams,) Then you had other guys that didn't want to put in the Work. Like Chavez Jr. he'd use Diuretics to shed the weight and come to the ring looking flabby and pasty...Or Kelly pavlik who after falling off the wagon, the alcohol consumption already had him dehydrated. So when he rehydrated. He was bigger but weaker, and his reflexes and timing were off.

Then you had guys like Mikey Garcia who wasn't cut but was a taller fighter for the weight classes he was in. He had trouble cutting those last few lbs and probably inched closer to kidney problems than some of the other fighters. Tried to pack the food and water on after the weigh in. Only your body absorbs it slower than your body is gorging it. You need a certain amount of water to process food. Without it you wind up puking in an elevator (like Mikey did) and the water is just passing right through you as your body is absorbing in half sips and you're chugging water by the gallon (trying to fill a thimble with a fire hose) Washing away what few electrolytes you have. Drinking distilled water is worse because its void of minerals and nutrition and will give you the trots. This is how fighters wind up in the hospital or worse after a knockout (with no water to decelerate the brain on abrupt movements)
    Goosen been around for a long time and trained Corrales, so he knows where the pitfalls lay. Garcia's ego... that might be a horse of a different color.

Excellent, knowledgeable post.

The bolded part sounds horrible... but it's a fact that fighters will push themselves abnormally (sometimes in ways they shouldn't) to make weight. You nailed it on the head with some of the examples you provided. JCC Jr. always struck me as lazy, which of course must've driven his famous father up the wall.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

undercard announced
    david morrell v sena agbeko
    bektemir melikuziev v gabriel rosado
    elijah garcia v kevin salgado zambrano

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

Outstanding post and great insight bud. Top notch! We get so caught up in playing accountant, trinket counter and lawyers for fighters today and it gets lost where fighters can be putting themselves physically. One big reason I'm always harping on division jumping for belt grabs. As well as Jr divisions at times. I think maybe it's safe to say that the majority of boxers are competing at unnatural weights and far too often we see the numbers gamed and toggled. We've all come to read a fighter at weigh in, the frame and 'look' of cutting weight. I'll never forget the Manny v Oscar pre fight, Oscar was the definition of gaunt back at 147. But all anyone talked about in the mainstream was Manny moving up up up.

Ultimately I think if it's a mutual agreement and applicable to both fighters a universal rehydration clause could be beneficial. Basically you just get tired of seeing so many top guys manipulate a scale only to come in 12,15,20+ lbs over at the bell. Even the penalty for missing weight can be gamed imo, and some guys may almost factor it in the price of coming in healthiest. Limits may just encourage fighters to move to realistic, healthier divisions. God knows we have enough of them. But it's the belts, blame the belts . It is interesting that both Tank and Ryan have played the numbers. I wonder if Garcia has almost overplayed his hand in the lead up and tune up fight preparation. He was making this gradual move with Tagoe at some weird 139 lb cw and then Fortuna at full 140 next. Both Tagoe and Fortune coming up a few for it. He was slow walking to a next division with declarations about never fighting light again. It felt like both he and Tank didn't think this fight would happen. Then you had Tank who jumped straight to 140 for his belt grab vs a natural 140+ guy in Barrios who is taller and longer reach than a Garcia. At least on paper but that's where frame similarity ends. Come fight night, these two are going to quite the unique sight side by side. As long as Tank brings a ladder and Ryan brings a helmet, I think we may just have an awesome fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    undercard announced
    david morrell v sena agbeko
    bektemir melikuziev v gabriel rosado
    elijah garcia v kevin salgado zambrano
    Ohh. That's a tough sell for a ppv. Can't see myself dropping $90 for a single course meal . Want to see Morrell but this card has 1001 between bout interviews and commercials written all over it.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fight is not PPV in the UK which is very kind by DAZN.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm seeing this as a Mayweather v Corrales type defining fight. This fight will separate the top tier from the second tier fighter in both of these men.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ugh, rehashing my worst weight cut now. I had one go so wrong I was on the toilet drinking water and shitting it out simultaneously. Only getting off the toilet long enough to refill the jug to do it again. Spent 8 hours on the toilet chugging water and lost more weight because it was just going straight through. I was so broken by the end of it i literally called my mom to come get me. Eventually enough had entered my system I guess because it stopped coming out the moment I drank it. Then I could drink less and hydrate. All for nothing because I was medically pulled

Thread Information