Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anybody doing volunteer work

I’m looking at the lines at some food banks in the larger cities. It’s sad and crazy to see. I called one of our local food banks but had to leave a message. I couldn’t do it regularly due to my schedule but if I could offer something and they need it why not?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anybody doing volunteer work

I have actually stopped doing my voluntary work which is visit people in police custody.

I have been doing it since 1999 but the local police station where I visit is the one locking up perpetrators who may have covid 19.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I have actually stopped doing my voluntary work which is visit people in police custody.

I have been doing it since 1999 but the local police station where I visit is the one locking up perpetrators who may have covid 19.
    Well isn’t that part of your job or do you actually do it out of kindness. We are having some bad problems in some US prisons. Certain groups are actually advocating for emptying all prisons. One warden in LA put out a warning about a possible crime wave after he was forced to release over 1,000 prisoners. Odd though, the people protesting to get back to work are nuts, the people protesting to empty the prisons don’t get much press

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

Well isn’t that part of your job or do you actually do it out of kindness. We are having some bad problems in some US prisons. Certain groups are actually advocating for emptying all prisons. One warden in LA put out a warning about a possible crime wave after he was forced to release over 1,000 prisoners. Odd though, the people protesting to get back to work are nuts, the people protesting to empty the prisons don’t get much press
    Volunteer work here means you do it in your spare time and do not get paid for it.

On your other separate note, we are also releasing people early from prison which are women with babies/pregnant, vulnerable to the disease and those that have 2 months to go on their sentence. This is all subject to risk and the prison's accidentally let some out that did not meet that criteria. I think they came back when asked.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...kenly-released

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That’s cool so it’s not involved with your job. I did that a few times but it was just going to visit guys who were on my caseload who had ended up in prison. Most of the time they would bitch about how bad prison was neglecting to contemplate the stupid crimes they committed. One kicked down someone’s door in broad daylight and was walking down the street carrying a home entertainment system when the cops rolled up to see what’s up. To be fair he was wet brain and had lost all impulse control. So it was volunteer in the fact I wasn’t getting paid but I only visited guys I knew from the job.
    Last edited by walrus; 04-22-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I usually donate to food banks and just recently donated to the first responders fund. I don’t know exactly what they do with the first responder fund money but it’s a real charity and they only use 15% towards administrative fees so it seems ok. I went shopping Sunday at a chain place that’s known for cheap odds and ends and they had a sign out that said 2% was being added to each item you buy to distribute evenly amongst staff who have been working through this wuhan covid pandemic. You could opt out if you wished but I figured it was a cool thing to do, the employees already are getting a 2 dollar an hour pay increase for working during this shit. Mind you I only had cat food, batteries and cleaning supplies so it didn’t amount to much. I didn’t get a pay boost for working during this shit but I think it’s fair people do. Giving money is fine but I think it would be good to get a little more involved if this place gets back to me.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shopping today and there was a basket in there where you can donate to NHS workers. Every little helps.

Hotels have opened themselves to them so they can stay overnight, they get food delivered to hospitals for the front line workers. We even clap on Thursday to show our appreciation.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

releasing prisoners while arresting mums & dads for playing with their kids at parks, sounds normal
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What does that mean? I seem to recall you work in a prison, or are a prison officer or something? What does visiting people in police custody entail?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

releasing prisoners while arresting mums & dads for playing with their kids at parks, sounds normal
    it makes no sense but they like it as they can fine them

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I should add our cook quit at the beginning of the wuhan covid pandemic. Since we have been without a cook word got around and people of the city have been donating more food. Both the mayor and the fire department have bought pizza. Now a local restaurant has been doing all out catering. I came in one night and the guys were bitching they didn’t eat. They said the restaurant sent seafood Newburgh with imitation lobster. During the night I tested it out and sure enough it was real lobster. They didn’t even try it. The guys just need to find shit to bitch about, I understand, but they should have tried the damn food before saying they don’t like it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I should add our cook quit at the beginning of the wuhan covid pandemic. Since we have been without a cook word got around and people of the city have been donating more food. Both the mayor and the fire department have bought pizza. Now a local restaurant has been doing all out catering. I came in one night and the guys were bitching they didn’t eat. They said the restaurant sent seafood Newburgh with imitation lobster. During the night I tested it out and sure enough it was real lobster. They didn’t even try it. The guys just need to find shit to bitch about, I understand, but they should have tried the damn food before saying they don’t like it.
    they sound ungrateful
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post

What does that mean? I seem to recall you work in a prison, or are a prison officer or something? What does visiting people in police custody entail?
    This is separate from the day job and is voluntary. We are called custody visitors, members of the public who are vetted and trained by police, to make sure people who have been arrested have had their rights and indepently check the police. We go in pairs and visit at whatever time we like.

Never found anything too great, one person still had his mobile in the cell when he should have had it convescated as he could have made calls interfering with his case, a police officer had taken someone's cash but generally nothing too major.

Anyone can apply and you visit your local police station.

El Kabong Guest

I've contacted all my elderly friends and made sure they know they can call me if they need anything. So far I've helped one neighbor with her yard. I've gotten groceries and fixed the internet connection for another elderly neighbor. My wife has organized safe social distancing activities for the kids in our neighborhood and those things have helped morale.

Really have to keep in contact with our older folks as isolation can lead to depression in a lot of cases and nonstop news watching can also lead to anxiety and depression as everything is "OMG the worst ever!"

I've been doing these things so much I've not even started my garden yet. Gotta do that soon, perhaps this weekend.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I gotta say I was walking into work today and I heard a car beeping profusely. I figured it was one of the old residents but when I turned around it was a car with a couple females I didn’t know. They hopped out of the car grabbing bags of colorful shit. Anyway turns out they brought us all kinds of masks. They actually made them on one of those 3D printing machines. They have this space for replaceable filters. They are a little bulky and they make you look like Darth Vader but damn what a nice thing for these girls to do. Then they whipped out a large plastic bags full of cloth masks they sewed by hand. They just starting doing this and are going around to all the health centers and hospitals giving them away. They are very well made. Actually came at a good time as we were scrounging again. Sometimes these negative events bring out the good in people. If I gave you one of the cloth masks to hold you would see they put some time into it. And the 3D printed ones have two pieces that snap together and they are sturdy. These girls are making shitloads for hospitals and other such places and giving them away. They could be selling these things online. I’d put up pics for u but this antiquated site doesn’t mix well with iPhones. Now I’m going to be a dick and take a couple masks to bring home for my wife.

Thread Information