Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

When things get back to somewhat normal.... what effect, if any, will this break have had on boxing in general and on fighters in particular?

• Will social distancing measures remain in arenas/venues?
    • Will cornermen, referees, and others in close promixity wear masks? Will it be obligatory?
    • What fighters have continued training and sparring? What fighters have not?
    • What impact will this have on televised and/or streamed fights?
    • Will boxing in general become more popular? Less? No change?

I'd be in favor of social distancing as well as other measures in arenas/venues for awhile. It's not gonna kill anyone to watch fights with a mask on and occupying every other seat.

I'd also be in favor of obligatory masks for corner people and referees.

I'm hoping against hope that mainstream TV recommits to boxing. It's not like jammed baseball/soccer/football stadiums are coming right back. There's profits to be made from boxing if handled properly by the networks.

For the same reasons, I'd think a sports-hungry public would "flock" (figuratively speaking, of course ) to a well-managed boxing comeback.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    When things get back to somewhat normal.... what effect, if any, will this break have had on boxing in general and on fighters in particular?

• Will cornermen, referees, and others in close promixity wear masks? Will it be obligatory?

I'd be in favor of social distancing as well as other measures in arenas/venues for awhile. It's not gonna kill anyone to watch fights with a mask on and occupying every other seat.

I'm hoping against hope that mainstream TV recommits to boxing. It's not like jammed baseball/soccer/football stadiums are coming right back. There's profits to be made from boxing if handled properly by the networks.

For the same reasons, I'd think a sports-hungry public would "flock" (figuratively speaking, of course ) to a well-managed boxing comeback.
    What about the fighters, they should wear masks too ?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by iwng100 View Post

Only the B-side fighters, I imagine.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They had fights in Nicaragua over the weekend. People in the ring before and after the fight were wearing masks but I only saw 2 pictures.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    They had fights in Nicaragua over the weekend. People in the ring before and after the fight were wearing masks but I only saw 2 pictures.

Yeah, I saw that. I imagine when it starts up again stateside they'll have some social distancing measures implemented as well.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing is a physical sport. That means sweat, spit, close clinches, blood, a no no for a social distance set up.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a punch could kill them at anytime, i doubt they have any fear of bullshit
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Frankie was a trail blazer

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Deontay Wilder costumes for all during fights is my guess. His career is over.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Over 55k dead and we’re opening back up. My state opens tomorrow (pray for me if you believe in such things). Death projection models are already moving back up. Point being if our government is going to kill us they should allow us to be entertained. Our federal government sent out instructions for our states that only told them to do what they were doing so I guess the instructions are to be used to start a fire to burn the bodies.

Edit-over 59k dead

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Case in point brother. My state is open up for restaurants, but I said to some (last night OK) HOW can people eat in restaurants with their MASKS ON? The devils who run things only care about money plain, and simple. Open up, yes get the dollars flowing die of coronavirus -- who got caught eating in a buffet with even 50 per cent of capacity. Not me.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Case in point brother. My state is open up for restaurants, but I said to some (last night OK) HOW can people eat in restaurants with their MASKS ON? The devils who run things only care about money plain, and simple. Open up, yes get the dollars flowing die of coronavirus -- who got caught eating in a buffet with even 50 per cent of capacity. Not me.
    It’s really quite shocking. They’re literally gauging how comfortable we are with death and adjusting policies by our levels of comfort. It’s not “save every life you can” it’s “how many dead will they accept”. Is 14k more dead okay to open a week earlier? It is, okay, kill them. When we are comfortable with this new 74k number they will adjust that up too. Then they will just say the projections were wrong. We’re already seeing it. The president today “well the early projections were 2-3 million” yeah, so we adjusted our behavior. “Then it was 100 thousand to 200 thousand” yeah, so we adjusted our behavior. We got it down to 60 thousand and now we are adjusting our behavior in the wrong direction. I just hope the rest of the word is smarter than we are, it’s not asking much. They should see how quickly the numbers can change because it just happened! February 28th the president said “It’s 15, it will be zero soon, we’ve done a great job”. Have we really forgotten this in 2 months?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    It’s really quite shocking. They’re literally gauging how comfortable we are with death and adjusting policies by our levels of comfort. It’s not “save every life you can” it’s “how many dead will they accept”. Is 14k more dead okay to open a week earlier? It is, okay, kill them. When we are comfortable with this new 74k number they will adjust that up too. Then they will just say the projections were wrong. We’re already seeing it. The president today “well the early projections were 2-3 million” yeah, so we adjusted our behavior. “Then it was 100 thousand to 200 thousand” yeah, so we adjusted our behavior. We got it down to 60 thousand and now we are adjusting our behavior in the wrong direction. I just hope the rest of the word is smarter than we are, it’s not asking much. They should see how quickly the numbers can change because it just happened! February 28th the president said “It’s 15, it will be zero soon, we’ve done a great job”. Have we really forgotten this in 2 months?
    there has always been a cure for hunger. It’s not “save every life you can” it’s “how many dead will they accept”
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think we're going to get a lot of fighters initially coming back in higher divisions and see more than a few 'upsets'. Can also see them permanently lining the press row in splash guard shields and refs in face shields. If they can attempt goofy Jack Reiss wearing headband and bowtie cams..they can wear blast shields. Might actually be good to make refs faceless .

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post

Yeah, I saw that. I imagine when it starts up again stateside they'll have some social distancing measures implemented as well.
    I posted on another thread that Top Rank is looking to start up in June, doing fights with no audience, two shows a week on ESPN and the ESPN app.

Thread Information