Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Presumption of innocence in Britain?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Presumption of innocence in Britain?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spi...innocence/amp/

So I need to question my British brethren. I was reading some legal opinions on the western world and amongst the opinions it was brought up England is letting go of the old innocent until proven guilty school of thought. It was a dry article so I found this one example linked above as an example. I don’t know how common this is in England but how do you feel about this. I just don’t like the sound of it, our police already have enough power to fuck you up I don’t like seeing them get more anywhere.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Presumption of innocence in Britain?

Really the police should not disclose non convictions but now have the power to do so because even being found innocent of the charges they could have implications on the person applying for a certain type of job. If the person is losing opportunities to get a job then he can sue the ones turning him down.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Really the police should not disclose non convictions but now have the power to do so because even being found innocent of the charges they could have implications on the person applying for a certain type of job. If the person is losing opportunities to get a job then he can sue the ones turning him down.
    Well that’s bullshit. So authorities inform the potential employer about the poor dude being not convicted of a charge and now the fault lay with the companies the authorities told. Nice.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Well that’s bullshit. So authorities inform the potential employer about the poor dude being not convicted of a charge and now the fault lay with the companies the authorities told. Nice.
    Yes, the employers have to justify why they did not employ the person.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Correct I understand that is it legal for them to deny employment when the government takes the time to tell a company the applicant was accused of something even though he wasn’t convicted in court. If they are doing it I guess it’s legal but maybe you could clarify. And to you find this behavior from the government kosher

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Correct I understand that is it legal for them to deny employment when the government takes the time to tell a company the applicant was accused of something even though he wasn’t convicted in court. If they are doing it I guess it’s legal but maybe you could clarify. And to you find this behavior from the government kosher
    It can be relevant dependant on the job they are applying for and if that person has been brought to the attention of the employer then they can make an informed decision. I think it was due to the school caretaker who had a number of allegations against him but no convictions. He went on to kill 2 school girls.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It can be relevant dependant on the job they are applying for and if that person has been brought to the attention of the employer then they can make an informed decision. I think it was due to the school caretaker who had a number of allegations against him but no convictions. He went on to kill 2 school girls.
    So do you personally support the government doing this.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes. Who knows if I was really in that situation, I may think differently but there is also Clares law which is intended to provide information that could protect someone from being a victim of attack. The scheme allows the police to disclose information on request about a partner's previous history of domestic violence or violent acts.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes. Who knows if I was really in that situation, I may think differently but there is also Clares law which is intended to provide information that could protect someone from being a victim of attack. The scheme allows the police to disclose information on request about a partner's previous history of domestic violence or violent acts.
    I’m surprised people support the government alerting employers of a case someone wasn’t convicted of. Bad enough innocent people go to jail now being judged not guilty can carry the weight of what in America would be a felony record. It’s not my country though if you guys agree with that shit more power to you. I just hope you are never falsely accused or have mistaken identity

Thread Information