Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
They told me CAL-SLAPPY, then I frowned at him for saying that to me because he's a professional and good fighter. But then I saw a collection of Calzaghe fights and he punches fast and volume of punches, but really is true lots of them are slapping kind of slap punches and arm punches.

He looks good and fast but after watching about 7 fights of Calzaghe, it seems he never fought high level competition. And when he did fought RJJ and BHop, they were already an old man.
Firstly, he was a bit “slappy” for sure. But I think that’s due to hand injuries he had and modified his technique . But the thing is, sometimes them slaps hurt! But there is absolutely no doubt that he was a very skilful fighter.
And the level of fighters he fought will always be labelled at him . But he beat a Kessler in his prime (who was very good) and destroyed Lacy. Now hindsight is a wonderful thing and we can all say “Yeah but Lacy wasn’t any good.” But he came into that fight with a reputation of being a complete beast.
Maybe we have to give Calzaghe the credit for taking Lacy’s “Aura” , his “mojo”, in the same way that maybe MAB took Naz’s.
You don’t go from being a Worldbeater to a nobody overnight.