Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Evander Holyfield

Holyfield was about everything that got me hooked on boxing. His face first KO loss to Bowe III was the reason I stopped watching entirely for months . Always fought the best and even a few of his second tier opponents, top form Cooper and Dokes, Ruiz , Stewart would make some of todays hvys blush. Loved that Mercer fight with Ray at his best and forced to take a KD for first time ever. The left hook of Holyfield is one of the more seriously underrated weapons at that time. Always find a cruel irony in that from early on he was labeled a 'blown up' cruiserweight and for a guy who went toe to toe with a Foreman, Lewis, Bowe, Moorer, Tyson..all top notch hitters..it was James Toney who absolutely battered him the worst of all. I've also had a procedure done that permanently blocks any memory whatsoever of the Larry Donald and Vaughn Bean fights . Oh and thought he beat the walking shag carpet Valuev for his trinket.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As it was once said before me while I waited for my turn in the barber's chair, Evander is a roughneck fighter who hit you hard enough to make you beg and when you fell it was acknowledgement of who the better fighter was. The old gent saw many fights in New York and the east coast and in his ninety plus years called himself a supreme fan and had some collection of fight tickets and programs in his valise. He said the only thing that spoiled his admiration of Holyfield was he seemed too nice to be a fighter. I met him fifteen years ago on his ninety second birthday and wished him many more. I forgot to ask him his name but sometimes it is more important to remember the person.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield might have been the best HW ever if he was 6' 5" and weighed about 240 lbs.

He is still a great HW who was able to hang with & beat the best behemoths, but his lack of size was his undoing against Bowe & probably against Lewis.

If he was the same size as those guys with exactly the same attributes, but with the increased physical strength that comes with being larger, I don't think those guys would have beaten him.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I can't help putting an asterisk next to all his accolades and achievement, because he was a drug cheat
    There will be a lot of asterisks on our favourte fighters then.
    Word. I might as well not watch any sport then.
    Best not to think of our heros like Shane, Roy and Toney took PED's.
    I'm glad I never have to think about my hero Rocky Marciano as taking any PEDs.

💪💪💪
    He took hoagies.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zoley View Post
    Evan Fields would not beat Michael Gerard Tyson in 1991. If Tyson did't go to jail, their fight would of been epic all time Great bout. Mike Iron Tyson would knocked out Evan Fields in round 6 , 7 or 8 and then beat Buster Douglass in the rematch in 1992. Then Tyson would be force to fight Lennox Louis by 1993 and still in his prime would of beat Louis. Then Tyson could of retired by 1994 after knock out Moorer aND MOrrison.
    I agree if they could just have kept his mentor and guide Cus De Mato alive in suspended animation he could have kept Tyson on the straight and narrow. Mike would have never joined Don King who robbed him of the millions of dollars he earned, married Givens who used him for her own needs, and left Kevin Rooney.

Mike would have been a stable individual who would never end up in prison and kept his boxing discipline. He would never have lost to Buster Douglas, beaten Holyfield in 1991, and then taken out Bowe, Lennox and others.

Hell I think he would have beaten the klitschko brothers and AJ to still be champion today with the most number of defences ever. We would be anticipating Mike Tyson v Tyson Fury next.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Mike Tyson would not beat anybody after 1993 Lennox Lewis, 1994 Tommy Morrison and only a match with George "Big" Foreman would be a question mark??

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield was the winner but Mike Tyson was the crowd's favorite.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

REAL DEAL ‘Smart’ and ‘humble’ Evander Holyfield was like a ‘walking tiger’ in the ring, lauded by Mike Tyson and other legends as the best they ever faced.

Boxing legends Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe and Michael Moorer all consider Evander Holyfield to be the greatest fighter they ever fought.

For some reason, Holyfield’s name isn’t mentioned as much in the same conversations as Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, and Tyson – but he’s right up there with the best ever.

Perhaps it’s his humble, quiet demeanor, or maybe because we remember him as the guy who had a chunk of his ear bitten off by Tyson in 1997.

Holyfield won both of his fights against Tyson in the 1990s. He beat Foreman and Larry Holmes, too.

The 57-year-old is the only four-time heavyweight champion in history, and the only boxer ever to win the undisputed championship in two weight classes.

As talk of a remarkable third fight against Tyson gathers pace, it’s no surprise that most of the spotlight has fallen on ‘Iron Mike’, being the character that he is.

But, there’s a reason why Holyfield was nicknamed ‘The Real Deal’. Here’s what some of the biggest names in heavyweight boxing had to say about him…

Mike Tyson

For years, Tyson claimed he bit Holyfield in protest against relentless headbutting during both fights.

However, the world knew it was actually frustration at being outfought, and Tyson eventually admitted that to Oprah in 2009: “I was so pissed off that Holyfield was such a great fighter and wanted to desperately beat him.”

In a recent interview with Holyfield on his podcast ‘Hotboxin”, Tyson said: “He’s a good guy, I always knew he was a good guy. I want people to react and get in their heads, but he never reacted.

“He was an awesome counter-puncher. I’d say the best ever.

“I always wondered how he could be so good and so humble.”

And in an interview with Ring Magazine, Tyson described Holyfield as his best ever opponent. He said “Great champion: chin, heart, determination, work ethic, demeanor.”

Lennox Lewis

Lewis was one of the few men to overcome Holyfield, although it took 24 brutal rounds.

Their first fight in 1999 was called a split-decision draw, before Lewis got the decision in the second bout, even though Holyfield still insists he won.

“People seem to be genuinely surprised when I tell them [Holyfield] was my toughest opponent, not to be confused with my toughest fight, which was [Ray] Mercer, but when you really dive into why that is, it actually makes a lot of sense,” the 54-year-old wrote on Instagram.

“Holyfield, like me, has an extensive amateur pedigree that has served him well throughout his professional career. He started boxing at eight years old and was an Olympic bronze medalist in 1984. Before he moved up to the heavyweight division, he’s a man that cleared out the cruiserweight division to become the undisputed champion, and arguably the best ever, in that weight class.

“That’s a lot of experience and it’s safe to say that by the time we met for the undisputed heavyweight championship in 1999, he had seen it all. When you combine Evander’s amateur and professional experience, you would be hard pressed not to see the kind of success he’s had in the ring.

“I may tease him a bit on our two fights, he knows I won both fights even though he won’t admit it, but in all seriousness, he’s the only man that has gone 24 rounds with me.”

George Foreman

A 42-year-old Foreman was punching his way back to the top before he met Holyfield in 1991.

Nobody gave Foreman a chance against Holyfield in his prime, but he managed to go the distance before losing via unanimous decision.

Big George tweeted in 2017: “No one ever had as much heart, you hurt him you get 15 shots, like waking a Tiger.”

Riddick Bowe

Bowe did something nobody else could manage and beat Holyfield TWICE during their epic trilogy of fights.

Holyfield considers Bowe his toughest ever opponent, and it turns out the feeling is mutual.

Bowe told Ring Magazine: “He was better than anyone I ever fought. He could think, he could match wits with you. Our fights were so good because he could match me in the thinking aspect. He was always in such great shape.

“He had the best defence, the best offence. I mean hands down he made you work. If you weren’t in shape, it wasn’t going to happen.

“I could shake Evander and he’d come back with four, five shots. And if you weren’t in shape, that’s when he was going to get you. He was always going to come back at you.

“Here’s a guy, you hit him with a left hook, he would keep his guard up, get close to you and turn his body. He was very smart in that aspect.

“Evander was smart, he was a thinker, he was in great shape, he had all the attributes to make him a great champion. That’s why he and I fought against each other so hard and so well.”

Larry Holmes

One of the reasons Holyfield isn’t always included in conversations about the greatest ever is because he carried on too long.

Having suffered only three defeats between the age of 22 and 37, he lost three in a row when he was 40 and carried on until he was 48.

Speaking at the time, though, Holmes explains why Holyfield was able to continue deep into his forties.

He said: “Today’s fighters don’t have the dedication and the dicipline to come out and be a champion. That’s why Evander’s still fighting.

“You can’t blame them for fighting when there’s nothing out there. You can keep giving him opponents, he’s going to keep fighting and keep winning.

“These guys still need to learn how to fight, Evander is the only one I see with the discipline. He dedicates himself and still weighs the same thing he did ten years ago.”

Michael Moorer

Moorer is the only other man, alongside Bowe, to beat Holyfield in his prime.

And like Bowe, Moorer has nothing but respect for ‘The Real Deal’.

He told Ring Magazine: “Every time he fought someone a second time, he was better, except maybe against Lennox Lewis.

“He was a student of the game and then he perfected it. I’ve always respected his smarts.

“I feel that Evander was the best that I faced, because he was always at his peak.

“When you are at your peak, you are always ready for everything and anything that is put before you. Evander always came ready.

“So I feel that he would have to be the best one that I fought, because he would always get himself in the best shape possible for any fight.

“He was always that guy. If he did not beat you the first time, he would beat you the second time.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/7...er-mike-tyson/
    Do you think Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong were great too ?

I like Holyfield skills, attitude, heart, and toughness....but let's be honest: he probably had help. If he used anything it would have been HGH. He didn’t look like a steroid testosterone body. At 205-210 he looked like a more filled out version of himself at 190-195

But even if he didn't use PEDS to me he was the Tim Bradley of the heavyweights.

A fighter that would give all top fighters a good fight but you not be confident of him beating any top fighter.

He lost twice to Bowe. Foreman was in his 40's, Tyson was a good win but what else. He was also beat by Moorer who is a light heavyweight and James Toney used him as a punching bag. Beaten by John Ruiz and Valuev

Consider all these factors and make your own assessment. I think his most entertaining and competitive fights were not at heavy but at cruiser.

Another thing. He was boring. Meaning - He had no personality that's not really to knock him I suppose. But this is boxing and it helps if a fighter is interesting, funny or anything.....just something different that people can latch on to. Holyfield wasn't any of that.

If HBO 24-7 or Showtime Countdown programmes were around when Holyfield was fighting. They'd have struggled to make it captivating as it would've just been him praising GOD as if God has nothing better to do than to come down from the heavens and determine the outcome of a boxing match.

Last edited by Denilson3.0; 07-20-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that Evander Holyfield was not an ATG heavyweight champion for the reasons you said he lost twice to Bowe, nearly knocked out by Bert Cooper, Tyson was a shell of the fighter he was after prison, losing to Moorer but he was old when James Toney, John Ruiz and Valuev beat him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Evan Fields
    All pumped up
    Making deals
    Head butting "pup";

7 wives