Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,420
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    396
    Cool Clicks

    Default How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    Sullivan brought it to the world, bareknuckle to gloves.
    Corbet considered the first technical boxer.
    Jeffries was known to take a pounding, wears his foe down, using a crouching style.
    Fitzsimmons 1st 3 division champ of the sport- beat the man (Corbit) who beat the man (Sullivan)

    Who ranks 1st? 2nd, 3rd 4th?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,980
    Mentioned
    1515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2752
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    You have to go by the record book but Sullivan was bare knuckle champion.

    If I had to pick Jeffries, Fitz, Corbitt and then Sullivan.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,420
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    396
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    You have to go by the record book but Sullivan was bare knuckle champion.

    If I had to pick Jeffries, Fitz, Corbitt and then Sullivan.
    Ok,
    Jeffries, then Sullivan Fitz, Corbitt for me !
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,980
    Mentioned
    1515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2752
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    You have to go by the record book but Sullivan was bare knuckle champion.

    If I had to pick Jeffries, Fitz, Corbitt and then Sullivan.
    Ok,
    Jeffries, then Sullivan Fitz, Corbitt for me !
    There is a black and white film starring Errol Flynn who plays Corbett and beats an old Sullivan.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    59,900
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3034
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    You have to go by the record book but Sullivan was bare knuckle champion.

    If I had to pick Jeffries, Fitz, Corbitt and then Sullivan.
    Ok,
    Jeffries, then Sullivan Fitz, Corbitt for me !
    There is a black and white film starring Errol Flynn who plays Corbett and beats an old Sullivan.
    I've seen it, decent flick.


    Sullivan was old by the time they fought and whiskey had ruined him. I'd say they go in order as it is.
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,724
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1073
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    I dont think any of them last a round with a good fighter today. A fringe contender from the 90s would steamroll them.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,078
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    25
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    here you cansee them in an iconic moment or 2 standing all together. Check out O Sullivan's feints. He must have been a cobra. Also Joe Choynski who KO'ed Jack Johnson in 1901


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    Fitzsimmons beats any modern super welter in my book.

    I think Prime Fitz was the best of those 4.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,253
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    413
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    There isn’t enough footage to make a real claim, but from my knowledge of them, it seems that Jeffries is first. He was known as the best fighter of all time during his reign (I know all time was very short at that time). Some “experts” who saw Jeffries thought he was better than boxers from decades after him. The stories of Jeffries’ workouts and feats of strength are amazing though.

    Fitzsimmons I would guess would be second. Strong guy who won titles at middleweight and heavyweight. Lost to Jeffries.

    The next two who knows. I mean, Sullivan basically lost and retired after Corbett. Corbett didn’t really do much with his career either. Sullivan was mostly a bare knuckle fighter.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,420
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    396
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    here you cansee them in an iconic moment or 2 standing all together. Check out O Sullivan's feints. He must have been a cobra. Also Joe Choynski who KO'ed Jack Johnson in 1901

    This 10 minute clip is packed to the hilt with history. Rickard asked President Taft to ref the fight? That's hilarious. Even though I knew how much weight Jeffries had to lose, something about this 10 minute video drives home a sort of a moral victory. 300 plus pounds down to 220? then went 15 rounds? I dunno, I think this dude might have sent some modern day fighters to ICU.

    Again, if he fought today, his movement and rhythm would've been today's not yesteryear.

    I also like those feints at the beginning that Sullivan did.

    Great video!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,078
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    25
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    Yes it is really a spooky thing to know that that video was shot 110 years ago. Those feints are really great, aren't they? Remember at that time he's doing that, Sullivan was already 20 years retired. He fought Kilrain for 75 rounds in the 1890s.

    I would love to see one of those guys fight the modern-day guys. You are right about Jim Jefferies. He lost 110 pounds to fight Jack Johnson after being retired for 6 years. Look at the tremendous rock-hard shape he is in for the fight. Also he was 37 years old at the time which is that fateful number for heavyweight comebacks.

    Yeah imagine a u.s. president being the referee that would be really something

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,980
    Mentioned
    1515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2752
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I dont think any of them last a round with a good fighter today. A fringe contender from the 90s would steamroll them.
    I wonder how AJ, Fury and Wilder would adjust to fighting 45 rounds against one another.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,078
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    25
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    I would love to see it. If those guys can fight 45 rounds in the sun they would simply be tougher and stronger then the modern guys. Jim Jefferies again I have to say it lost 115 pounds to fight Jack Johnson after being retired for 6 years.

    Andy Ruiz..........

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,420
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    396
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Yes it is really a spooky thing to know that that video was shot 110 years ago. Those feints are really great, aren't they? Remember at that time he's doing that, Sullivan was already 20 years retired. He fought Kilrain for 75 rounds in the 1890s.

    I would love to see one of those guys fight the modern-day guys. You are right about Jim Jefferies. He lost 110 pounds to fight Jack Johnson after being retired for 6 years. Look at the tremendous rock-hard shape he is in for the fight. Also he was 37 years old at the time which is that fateful number for heavyweight comebacks.

    Yeah imagine a u.s. president being the referee that would be really something
    His initial feint, I was like man I see that a mile away, then he jerked his head, hand again? I was like dayum!! Nice.


    As far as him getting back in shape- IMO this gives cred to old timer boxing fans that relish the past- He didn't have no Jenny Craig, no Cuisine Lean meals, no hydroxy cut, no Garcinia Cambogia no excusing ..:It's my metabolism...I can't lose weight...aka no excuse making or nothing, just man the Fuck up and lose some weight by exercising.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,078
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    25
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Do You Rank Sullivan, Corbitt, Jeffries, Fitzsimmons?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Yes it is really a spooky thing to know that that video was shot 110 years ago. Those feints are really great, aren't they? Remember at that time he's doing that, Sullivan was already 20 years retired. He fought Kilrain for 75 rounds in the 1890s.

    I would love to see one of those guys fight the modern-day guys. You are right about Jim Jefferies. He lost 110 pounds to fight Jack Johnson after being retired for 6 years. Look at the tremendous rock-hard shape he is in for the fight. Also he was 37 years old at the time which is that fateful number for heavyweight comebacks.

    Yeah imagine a u.s. president being the referee that would be really something
    His initial feint, I was like man I see that a mile away, then he jerked his head, hand again? I was like dayum!! Nice.


    As far as him getting back in shape- IMO this gives cred to old timer boxing fans that relish the past- He didn't have no Jenny Craig, no Cuisine Lean meals, no hydroxy cut, no Garcinia Cambogia no excusing ..:It's my metabolism...I can't lose weight...aka no excuse making or nothing, just man the Fuck up and lose some weight by exercising.
    Yes bro! Same here. I saw his first feint and I thought "this wouldn't fool fighters nowadays", but then he lurched it, jerked his head like a stutter step, and it wasn't what I thought was coming! That dude was cerebral with that shit bro.

    Haha hydroxycut remember that shit haha Jenny Craig lmao. You're right, it does indeed give cred. They just did it. Hell, Roberto Duran used to literally eat gallons of ice cream and balloon to 220 pounds between fights, yet make weight.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Ray Robinson vs Bob Fitzsimmons (catchweight at 152)
    By Dempsey19 in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2019, 02:21 AM
  2. New Bob Fitzsimmons book now available
    By apollack in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 09:57 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 08:35 PM
  4. Bob Fitzsimmons-The greatest P4P puncher ever?
    By Gandalf in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 01:28 PM
  5. Bob Fitzsimmons:Legendary puncher
    By El Gamo in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 11:48 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing