Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
See, now I lean to the flip side. Firstly does a cop not get due process of any sort. Here's all I know, the man was found to be operating a vehicle while intoxicated. resisted arrest, punched a cop, disarmed him and subsequently turned and fired at him. A taser yep a taser but a taser is a weapon. I'm not all 'hey blast the crap out of him' but I don't think any of us can say we'd not rattle under exactly 2-3 seconds in that situation. Devils advocate but I just think we're entering an unrealistic load on people who are in a position to stop crime. It's a whole different world when we start saying 'let a guy go who just assaulted cops and attempted to target them' get away for another day. We say the cop knew he had a taser did the suspect know it was a taser. It sucks and no one should have died but this is a whole new can of worms requiring a cop to throw their hands up and walk away from literally 4,5 crimes committed. Things are going to get real messy.

I just think it's quite a distance between perceiving a threat to your own life (if you're the cop), and just not wanting someone to get away. Shooting fleeing suspects in the back is becoming all too common and, if that's gonna be the standard from now on...... police forces should just come out and say it, instead of blabbing on about only using deadly force when it's absolutely necessary.
Yeh true. The first thought I had was the one a couple of years ago where the cop was allowed to plea out..at first..for shooting Walter Scott in that park. But the cop stopped to take a firing position and just unloaded on the poor guy who was fully turned and completely unarmed. That shat even ended in a hung jury, insanely enough, if I remember right. But again with this one it's all in an instant and I can't get into a cops head after a violent altercation. I just think with the way detractors and defenders are rolling out scenarios that we'll see tons of like reaction now even if Brooks had stopped and was still pointing the taser directly at him.

I agree, man... and I can totally see where this can quickly turn into a snowball of shit. Overreactions or mob mentality is something I remember from sociology class in high school. That, and the pendulum theory. We seem so fucking maddeningly unable to separate the facts from the myths in individual cases..... it just becomes a giant human feeding frenzy. I'll mention @El Kabong in here, as I've been arguing pretty heavily on the side of the black men lately.... and I know in theory we're all on the same side. Believe me..... last thing I want is for police officers to have to say, "Wait..... let me pull out the 1,000-page handbook that tells me what I'm allowed to do with your fist-swinging ass." Sort of like the scene from Demolition Man where the cops were trying to take down Simon Phoenix using harsh language.

I think this snowball of shit has already formed, and unfortunately I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. For the life of me, I wish someone with common sense had a giant megaphone and could yell to the whole nation some even-headed message. Something along the lines that yes..... police reform is sorely needed. But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....... do not punch cops, try to disarm them, and then run off and expect a slap on the wrist. Detainees could use a few tanker-fuls of common sense when interacting with police.

Having said this, I still don't think Brooks deserved to be killed with shots in the back. He had been totally ID'ed..... and he wasn't going to get far. Throw his ass in jail and fuck him up with a big enough fine, so he'll learn how to behave when confronted by law officers with guns.
I can understand that point of view. I can also understand he turned and pointed something at a cop while running. These split second things have a high probability of something going wrong. I still say it’s a shame someone died over this.