Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George Floyd murdered by cops

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Why does it have to be a unanimous decision for a guilty verdict and not just a majority? Seems like a unnecessary high bar.
    Because that's what the Supreme Court ruled a while ago. What it means in practice is that the defence in a case like this just has to get one Fox News/angry white person type admitted to the jury and then hire an "expert witness*" to say that the murderer didn't really commit murder and that gives the Fox News juror the leeway to claim they have reasonable doubt as to whether the murderer did in fact commit the murder we can see being committed on the videotape of the murder. That's all it takes.

*There are "expert witnesses" who have some vague credentials to comment on incidents like this and they can make a good living going round the country testifying in trials like this. They're just there to give one person on the jury an excuse to have reasonable doubt, for a nice fee.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here is how the rest of the totally fine and not needing any kind of reform Minnesota police have been dealing with the protests over the other police shooting last week:

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/sta...88637746507783

https://twitter.com/RainbowOfRed/sta...24289542905870

https://twitter.com/RainbowOfRed/sta...31368232017922

https://twitter.com/RainbowOfRed/sta...32194686115842

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Here is how the rest of the totally fine and not needing any kind of reform Minnesota police have been dealing with the protests over the other police shooting last week:

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/sta...88637746507783

https://twitter.com/RainbowOfRed/sta...24289542905870

https://twitter.com/RainbowOfRed/sta...31368232017922

https://twitter.com/RainbowOfRed/sta...32194686115842

Do you speak English? Just perfect.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Master it’s not always a unanimous decision required it’s not always even 12 jurors. It can vary by state but 12 and unanimous is the standard. The bar was meant to be set high. I think it was James Madison who said “I’d rather see 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man go to jail” that is paraphrased and I’m not sure it was Madison, too lazy to look it up right now. One can also request just a judge hear the case and make a decision. In this case think of the jurors position. Let’s just say they consider a not guilty verdict. They live in the area and aware that shit will burn if they don’t convict. Mind you I’m not saying the dude is innocent. I wasn’t at the trial. I don’t think Maxine waters comments were helpful to the case, it is grounds for a possible appeal.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    @Master it’s not always a unanimous decision required it’s not always even 12 jurors. It can vary by state but 12 and unanimous is the standard. The bar was meant to be set high. I think it was James Madison who said “I’d rather see 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man go to jail” that is paraphrased and I’m not sure it was Madison, too lazy to look it up right now. One can also request just a judge hear the case and make a decision. In this case think of the jurors position. Let’s just say they consider a not guilty verdict. They live in the area and aware that shit will burn if they don’t convict. Mind you I’m not saying the dude is innocent. I wasn’t at the trial. I don’t think Maxine waters comments were helpful to the case, it is grounds for a possible appeal.
    yes its a possible appeal for sure. He'll be guilty this time and next year it'll be appealed and he'll get off. A severed bloody pig's head was left at the house of a juror and shots were fired at National Guardsmen a mile from where Waters was calling for violence, a mere 20 minutes after her incitement. Words matter. She will be held accountable. Should be removed from Congress for sure. Funny thing is she's jeopardized her own position, and this case as well. The judge was very, VERY clear about the appeal potential. Maxine Waters, low IQ forever. Trump? Genius.
    Last edited by NoSavingByTheBell; 04-20-2021 at 05:36 AM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last edited by NoSavingByTheBell; 04-20-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Verdict has been reached, will be read in around 30 mins... Didn't take too long.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Verdict has been reached, will be read in around 30 mins... Didn't take too long.
    I would guess guilty if it’s that quick

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are correct, guilty of everything.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good with that honestly. It's just. But don't ask me about the case in Chicago where they want the cop strung up and the teen who had just ditched a gun. But I don't quite get charging someone with 3rd degree murder and the lower manslaughter.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ya, not surprising, just wanted the court to do its thing. Tbh it’s unfortunate we are probably going to see this again as there are some very valid reasons for appeal, those words aren’t from my mouth, they are from the judges mouth.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ya, not surprising, just wanted the court to do its thing. Tbh it’s unfortunate we are probably going to see this again as there are some very valid reasons for appeal, those words aren’t from my mouth, they are from the judges mouth.
    Far as yesterday I don't see anything coming on the Waters front. A politician with a big mouth who doesn't know when to shut up. She's a dope, has been all along. But if anything a shifty defense lawyer would have made a case when they seated the juror who said they were "afraid" of the BLM stuff. Hmm so afraid you cannot make an independent decision .

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So good chance Chauvin spends the rest of his life in prison.

Good.

Hope it's the deterrent everyone hopes it'll be to the other Chauvins out there.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Far as yesterday I don't see anything coming on the Waters front. A politician with a big mouth who doesn't know when to shut up. She's a dope, has been all along. But if anything a shifty defense lawyer would have made a case when they seated the juror who said they were "afraid" of the BLM stuff. Hmm so afraid you cannot make an independent decision .
    Maybe not. Just the judge bringing it up I think gives it weight. Can’t say for sure of course not a lawyer. Now what is this dude facing time wise? I know I stirred up some doo doo saying I wanted the jury to decide. I said long back in the thread the dude looked guilty by his actions but I don’t feel comfortable declaring guilt by media story these days. Just my take on things.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Maybe not. Just the judge bringing it up I think gives it weight. Can’t say for sure of course not a lawyer. Now what is this dude facing time wise? I know I stirred up some doo doo saying I wanted the jury to decide. I said long back in the thread the dude looked guilty by his actions but I don’t feel comfortable declaring guilt by media story these days. Just my take on things.

Me neither.

I do, however, feel comfortable declaring guilty by videos taken from multiple angles and multiple sources... where nothing's fuzzy or up for interpretation. Where sound is just as damning as video.

I feel pretty comfortable with that.

Thread Information